Ranking
I tried growing sunflowers plenty of times
they always died shortly after blooming unfortunately
retired replaymaker | discord: victortb#9592
Originally Posted by controla View Post
hello toribash gamers and forumites

I have come to create this thread to unite all of the gardeners within the toribash community. Whether you're like me and you enjoy growing your own organic vegetables and fruit, or just enjoy ornamental plants or even psychoactive plants, this is a good place to share your experiences and talk about how its going.

I got an allotment this year in January and I've been learning about growing my own veg. So far I've grown; Onion, potato, pumpkin, squash, corn, strawberries, tomatoes, and my girlfriend has grown an assortment of herbs such as lavender and rosemary. I'm really enjoying this process so far and I'm taking an interest in more indigenous methods of cultivating crops, such as "Three sister's" method which was used by the native Americans and Amazonians. The idea is that you grow sweetcorn, pumpkin, and broad beans together in patches and those three plants all help each other be healthier and produce higher yields and more nutritionally dense vegetables. The sweetcorn provides a large pole which gives support to the broad bean plants since they are climbing plants, and the pumpkin (or squash if you prefer) provides shade for the soil which keeps the ground healthier and encourages positive microbe activity in the soil, and the broad beans fix the nitrogen content of the soil which helps the other two plants to be healthier.

This method is particularly interesting in my opinion because I find it fascinating how these people, so long ago before modern science and technology was developed, had such an advanced understanding of soil biology and agriculture

Intriguing!

Although soil biology is slightly out of my scope, I'm not completely foreign to it. Since this is your thread, would you like me to share what I'm doing my doctorate on right now? Hint: It's in the ballpark of what you're talking about!
. . .
list0 on Discord, reach out for inquiries.
Or send me a private message, I'm responsive.

[7:19 PM] Aliosa: Can't have loopholes if there are no loops.

[9:14 AM] Viddah: Just remember if you step on toes youre gonna have to suck on them to make the pain go away
[9:16 AM] [Faux_fan]ancient: put me in the screenshot
Essentially, there's two kinds of rice plants I'm working with. Cultivars and Weedy rice. Cultivars are stuff you eat for a meal, jasmine, basmati rice etc. Weedy rice however, although providing nutrition similar to cultivated rice; aren't feasible for farmers to grow in abundance.

This is because they have unfavorable traits such as seed shattering, which means the seeds fall to the ground before farmers can harvest them. Additionally, weedy rice also competes for resources with cultivated rice in rice paddy fields; causing loss in yield in the long run. It is extremely difficult to distinguish between weedy and cultivated rice since they share many phenotypic traits.

What's interesting is, the reason weedy rice is so resilient and hard to get rid of, is the same reason they are the target for extensive research.

Though they are not profitable, they are exceptionally resilient in surviving in high temperatures and extreme weather conditions. One goal of my research project, is to investigate and confirm the genes that are responsible for heat tolerance in weedy rice, and genetically modify cultivated rice to survive in extreme conditions, thus improving rice yields.

My research potentially also branches off to the invention of a PCR-test kit, which would allow farmers in the field to use a COVID-test like device to distinguish between weedy rice and cultivated rice when planting seeds.

Additionally, if we're able to get a list of genes that have a functional impact on the growth of weedy rice plants, we can chemically engineer "gene-inhibitory" herbicides. This would only target weedy rice as those genes don't exist in cultivated rice, the rice we want!
. . .
list0 on Discord, reach out for inquiries.
Or send me a private message, I'm responsive.

[7:19 PM] Aliosa: Can't have loopholes if there are no loops.

[9:14 AM] Viddah: Just remember if you step on toes youre gonna have to suck on them to make the pain go away
[9:16 AM] [Faux_fan]ancient: put me in the screenshot
I heard that growing tobacco is really damaging to the soil and that it requires growing other plants every other year, what are your plans for that
🫷🦚🫸