Ranking
Original Post
Next Logical Upgrade (My Guess - Monitor)
I'm using a PC Desktop to play Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Looking to improve my set-up:

Razer DeathAdder 2013 CLG Edition Mouse
Steel Series QcK+ Mousepad
Corsair Chroma Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry)
Samsung SyncMaster 245BW (I think it's 60 Hz?)
Steel Series Siberia v2 Headset (USB Powered)

And for the PC itself:
Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40 GHz 3.40 GHz
8g of Ram
64 bit OS (Windows 10)
AMD Radeon HD 7800 series

I'm currently pulling around ~160 FPS with the absolute lowest graphical settings. I've been told by a lot of veterans the difference between a 60 Hz and 144 Hz monitor is night and day, not even sure my computer would make full use of a BenQ though. Figured I'd ask the experts.

Cheers
Yeah if you are looking to get better in Counter Strike, a monitor is definitely the best way to go. Where are you located so I can look for a good price on a solid monitor?
Originally Posted by Kyure View Post
Are you located by a micro center by any chance?

Negative, they have 25 locations. None of which in the state.
At that price range, the ASUS has gsync and the BenQ doesn't (though you don't have an nvidia gpu anyway), but the BenQ is an IPS panel whilst the ASUS is a TN panel - so the BenQ will have better colors and contrast, overall a better image. In all other ways they are practically identical.

This would be BenQ's equivilent model to the above: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITORITU/..._t1_B00B2HH7G0
(You should check ebay to find cheapest prices for each model, prices do vary with time and location)
Even though it costs $30 more, I would recommend the BenQ. Refresh rate isn't the only thing that matters, when you are looking into window room on inferno and you can't see shit because of your shitty TN's bad contrast, or you look towards ct ramp on mirage as t and you can't see the guy in front of the missile stack because the colors are too similar, it could be pretty annoying. Even if you are using a digital vibrance booster, the display does matter.

You should also have a look locally for a CRT, they have lower latency, higher refresh rates, better color and contrast - they will be the best monitors on the market in every way - except weight! A decent decade old CRT will be better than the best brand new $999 'GAMING' display, and you can often get them very cheap or even free. You can certainly save some money by finding one locally.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
At that price range, the ASUS has gsync and the BenQ doesn't (though you don't have an nvidia gpu anyway), but the BenQ is an IPS panel whilst the ASUS is a TN panel - so the BenQ will have better colors and contrast, overall a better image. In all other ways they are practically identical.

This would be BenQ's equivilent model to the above: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITORITU/..._t1_B00B2HH7G0
(You should check ebay to find cheapest prices for each model, prices do vary with time and location)
Even though it costs $30 more, I would recommend the BenQ. Refresh rate isn't the only thing that matters, when you are looking into window room on inferno and you can't see shit because of your shitty TN's bad contrast, or you look towards ct ramp on mirage as t and you can't see the guy in front of the missile stack because the colors are too similar, it could be pretty annoying. Even if you are using a digital vibrance booster, the display does matter.

You should also have a look locally for a CRT, they have lower latency, higher refresh rates, better color and contrast - they will be the best monitors on the market in every way - except weight! A decent decade old CRT will be better than the best brand new $999 'GAMING' display, and you can often get them very cheap or even free. You can certainly save some money by finding one locally.

Wow that's fantastic information. And I appreciate the case specific stop. How on earth do I go about finding a very cheap or free CRT like what you're talking about?
Ebay sometimes had good ones, but the best place is stuff like craigslist or whatever local-ish websites (I'm not USA so I don't know really). There's also no real list of what CRT is good or not, so you will have to google the specs if you find something good.

Some good series are Trinitron, Diamondtron, Electron Blue, Multisync, Vision Master Pro. But in 2000, for example, most CRTs were capable of +100hz, so as long as the display is functioning well you can get a nice refresh rate. Some harder to find ones are capable of 200hz or more, but they are really hard to find...

Also just so you know the majority of CRTs are 4:3 or 5:4, there are some that are 16:9 (the gdm-fw900 comes to mind) but they are usually more expensive.

Finding a good crt isn't something you can usually do quickly, it's a lot of lurking and luck. So if you are really eager to upgrade quickly, maybe have a look at some local websites and do a bit of googling, and if you can't find something nice then go with LCD.

This article lists some more nice models: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/comparison,440.html
Iiyama 454 is probably the best CRT ever made, but good luck ever finding one :3
Last edited by ImmortalPig; Nov 8, 2015 at 04:57 AM.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff