Toribash
Original Post
ever wonder what it would be like to combine Oblivion and Dark Souls?
well, rebel games already did it thirteen years ago

Severance: Blade of Darkness is a gory, responsive hack-and-slash game which is also one of the first of its kind and definitely an underrated game

you can buy it on gog for $5.99, and i highly suggest it

some gameplay:
shmevin eats smegma
I don't know how you figure this is a cross between Oblivion and Dark Souls, it just looks like hack and slash.

The gameplay video is very boring, he just stares off each mob for a few seconds then runs in and kills it with attack spam. Sure that's similar to Dark Souls, but where's the Oblivion aspect?
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
i think the look and combat of the game overall reminds me a lot of oblivion

maybe if you gave it a try, you'd realizing how difficult and rewarding the game is, but i don't expect someone as close-minded as you to do something like that

also, it's funny that you think dark souls is boring
go play some skyrim, casual
shmevin eats smegma
It's really funny to see a DS player call others casual :P

DS is essentially 10 minutes of mechanics stretched out to a 2 hour game.
Anyone who understands frontswing/telegraphs, backswings and is even half decent at the roll timing will find DS to be incredibly easy and repetitive. "How do I beat Sif? When you see his telegraph time your roll and then punch him" "How do I beat dumb and dumber? When you see their telegraphs time your roll and then punch them" "How do I beat THE FINAL BOSS? Time your roll- jk just parry" the tactics for every single boss are the same, this is no SotC here folks. Yes there are a lot of people who play dex weapons or magic because they find combat hard, but I would say it's because they never really tried. It's entirely possible to beat the game with minimum SL and upgrades, fat rolling with the slowest 2 hander weapon, and honestly I doubt most people would even find it hard.

But this thread is about Severance, right?

If the gameplay is so amazing for this game why would you link such a boring video? Does he display any kind of tactics? I guess, you could say he is trying to bait out an attack and then gets bored and decides to just beat on them... I don't think anyone is going to watch that video and think "wow what a challenging game that I would like to play". It looks like just a spam stomp - even when 3 skeletons come out (and by the way start their combo WAY before they can hit him - talk about catering to new players, as if anyone would purposefully run INTO range...) he just spams attack and kills them, wow.

I'm guessing the player is either very overleveled, using some very overpowered gear, or this is the very start of the game.

Either way can you post some more information about the game?

Hero Moderated Message:
I will close this thread as soon as I sense this is one of those stupid debates on who is the more alpha and hardcore gamer.
Last edited by Hero; Mar 16, 2014 at 01:54 PM.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by boStaff View Post
well, rebel games already did it thirteen years ago

Severance: Blade of Darkness is a gory, responsive hack-and-slash game which is also one of the first of its kind and definitely an underrated game

you can buy it on gog for $5.99, and i highly suggest it

some gameplay:

I played it a couple years ago and it is nothing like oblivion or dark souls.

And I have no idea why you are calling it underrated considering it's 13 years old and is still frequently talked about all over the internet.

Anyways it's a decent game even doe it has aged like shit. If you like hack and slash you should totally try it
Last edited by Juhizz; Mar 21, 2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo
[duck] 01101000 01101001 01110000 01101111 01110100 01101001 01100010 01101111 01110010