Toribash
Original Post
To all music makers
I was wondering, which instrument do you play (including dj set or vocals), how did you start playing it and what makes you keep on making music?

Personally, I play the guitar.
A friend of mine introduced me to a guitar teacher and that's how I got started.
What made me keep playing it though, is the band red hot chilli peppers. Their songs inspire me to play the guitar.
Originally Posted by chamara View Post
I was wondering, which instrument do you play (including dj set or vocals), how did you start playing it and what makes you keep on making music?

Personally, I play the guitar.
A friend of mine introduced me to a guitar teacher and that's how I got started.
What made me keep playing it though, is the band red hot chilli peppers. Their songs inspire me to play the guitar.

I play guitar as well, how long have you played? Personally, I started out playing classic rock but have gravitated to more calm music. Trevor Hall has become a big inspiration and most of his songs are easy anyways. I took lessons for about 2 years and have played on my own for another 2 years.
I myself play the piano.

Its funny, I personally hated all music when I was a child because we had to practice the recorder in school, and my teacher made theory one of the most boring things on earth. Later on, someone decided to teach piano lessons at my school and after the first day I really enjoyed it.

What keeps me playing is that I really like how the piano sounds, and there are always amazing songs out there that you can learn.
\o\ | ORMO | OSHI | OLDA | [duck] | Team Canada | Maple Syrup United | Team Philippines | [UssR] | Anime United | /o/
I used to play the guitar. However I wasn't very interested in it and eventually quit, and now I've been experimenting with VST, mostly inspired by DJ's around the web who use the same methods. It's much more accessible that way, and you don't really have to purchase the actual instruments, so most people get to try it and many talents are discovered. It's quite wonderful to be honest.
oh yeah
Originally Posted by JayStar View Post
I play guitar as well, how long have you played? Personally, I started out playing classic rock but have gravitated to more calm music. Trevor Hall has become a big inspiration and most of his songs are easy anyways. I took lessons for about 2 years and have played on my own for another 2 years.

I've played the guitar for 3 years. What I like to play most is jazz improvisations and rock songs ;P.
Originally Posted by MrJingles1 View Post
I myself play the piano.

Its funny, I personally hated all music when I was a child because we had to practice the recorder in school, and my teacher made theory one of the most boring things on earth. Later on, someone decided to teach piano lessons at my school and after the first day I really enjoyed it.

What keeps me playing is that I really like how the piano sounds, and there are always amazing songs out there that you can learn.

I used to hate instruments too. My first year in the guitar was just horrid, I hated to play and didn't study at all.
Turns out all I needed was to learn some songs I really liked.
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
I used to play the guitar. However I wasn't very interested in it and eventually quit, and now I've been experimenting with VST, mostly inspired by DJ's around the web who use the same methods. It's much more accessible that way, and you don't really have to purchase the actual instruments, so most people get to try it and many talents are discovered. It's quite wonderful to be honest.

Interesting, the idea seems quite well thought.
Though, learning music making on yourself or by internet is really hard. I think there should be someone teaching you the rules even if you aim to become a DJ.
I don't even aim to compose a full song right now. I mostly dick around with some synths and compose a few beats.
oh yeah
I play the piano and I'm learning how to play the guitar. I started playing the piano when my mother hired someone to teach me back when I was 7 or so I enjoyed it and kept playing until I lost motivation a few years ago. I can't play half of the pieces that I have learned before. I just wish I didn't stop. Still trying to get back on playing it.

I forgot why I'm trying to learn how to play the guitar. I guess I got influenced by one of my friends.
Originally Posted by sprytryne View Post
I play the piano and I'm learning how to play the guitar. I started playing the piano when my mother hired someone to teach me back when I was 7 or so I enjoyed it and kept playing until I lost motivation a few years ago. I can't play half of the pieces that I have learned before. I just wish I didn't stop. Still trying to get back on playing it.

I forgot why I'm trying to learn how to play the guitar. I guess I got influenced by one of my friends.

De-motivation... Allways gets you back to square one.
As my guitar teacher said: "Neglect your instrument and it'll become a stranger."
I've been playing guitar for about, oh 4 months now? I've basically just been taught half by dad half by internet, i just search up a song i love and want to play, learn how to play it and thats how I've been learning chords. I mainly play Bob Dylan and Neil Young songs, because most of them are easy to play and I love Bob and Neil. At the moment I'm writing my own songs (lyrics) mostly inspired by Bob Dylan and Neil Young.

I also do a bit of electronic music producing, progressive house/different types of house music and drum n bass stuff mostly, but I do a bit of Downtempo stuff now and then and I upload them to soundcloud. Its fun and i love doin it, so i do haha. But yeah i hope to one day get somewhere with my music, so i'm gonna keep working at it until i do!