Toribash
Original Post
XP or W7 to play games?
So.. I've got a question. I am thinking which OS should I use to play games. I've got both XP and W7.

I've been using XP for few years, and it's been good. Few months ago I've switched to W7 and I don't know if it's fact, or just my imagination, but for example in LoL I see a bit less FPS in teamfights than on XP. I've managed to discover magically switch in layouts to disable aero and make my W7 literally look like Win97 but I dont know if it has any effect anyway :P

Tell me guys, which OS should I use to play games, and which one should I use just to work on? And nope, Linux does not count in.

My pc specs are rather old, but still can run CS:S, LoL and ME2 so it's enough for me:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit/Windows XP Professional SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.00 GHz
2,5 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT 512 MB
I prefer Windows 7.
Some games can run on DX10 or DX11 now which WinXP doesn't support.
Definitely not Josh Lintag
Originally Posted by GLaD0S View Post
I prefer Windows 7.
Some games can run on DX10 or DX11 now which WinXP doesn't support.

Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT
Windows 7.

Better drivers support etc. Some games are a little slower, but most games have a boost. Plus less bugs, updates etc, utilise more RAM.
<sireal> chuck you're a gay cunt
<Chuck_Gaming> I am
if you have a low end pc, stick to XP, backup what you need and formatting would probably give you a usefull performance boost. old PCs tend to get cluttered as shit.

upgrade your ram to 4gb and you should run on w7 pretty comfortably
although ddr1/2 ram could get expensive compared to ddr3, which your motherboard wouldnt be able to take.
i remember running vista on my old pc with 2gb RAM and it was just laughable... although vista was horrible
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Oh, I forgot to mention my motherboard. Can't check it atm, so I will post it later (or I will check myself if I can put ddr3 there).

Vista compared to W7 is like.. mhm. Heavy Tank versus Light Tank. Vista has multum of apps, that normal user does not even use, and W7 is just simpler version of Vista - without all that non-used by casual users apps. At least that I've heard from friend of my friend that was actually working in M$.

I will probably install XP on formatted HDD, install drivers I need and just games, so it will be like little gaming OS w/o anything else. I will use W7 just for graphics/documents/anything else because I don't need to much power for that anyway. When I will have some cash to upgrade RAM, I'll switch to W7 with gaming stuff. :3
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT

I meant Windows XP does not support DX10 or 11.
Even if 7950 GT has DX10.
Definitely not Josh Lintag
Your computer is not really good enough to handle W7, let alone get any advantage out of it. Stick to XP until you have a good enough computer.