Ranking
Original Post
Is Forum's Security Strong enough?
I was thinking about this for quite some time so I thought I should ask it.

Are the security measures on forum, strong enough to keep accounts protected?

I do not dare questioning the security but I do not feel safe whenever I get loads of tc on my account. I see people with crap loads of tc on their accounts and they are completely tension free. I want someone to explain how strong are the security measures.
Last edited by Hero; Sep 4, 2011 at 09:08 AM.
Anything that can be done can be undone.

If you don't feel secure I suggest using a secret password for this site only, so your other accounts on the web won't be compromised.

I feel safe here though.
<Crooked> I'd say spartan, cause if he's tough enough to digest ungodly amounts of alcohol he clearly has the best body
Well. You can be hacked. Easly.
But the admins will simply get you your account back.
So you shouldn't really worry.
The only way that your account can be hacked is if you give out your password knowingly("Hey! I'll get you free toriprime!") or unknowingly(Phishing sites) or someone gets hold of a copy of the database. I don't remember if it is encrypted or not. You're pretty safe here. Just use your brain.
We will admit that in the past forum security has been less than spectacular. That is how the 8000 people that got banned in the mass-ban got hacked. However, we are fairly certain when we say at present that your account should be reasonably secure by any reasonable standards. That is, at present, most hackings are just people who wanted free TC from some ridiculously obvious phishing website.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
I was also a victim of mass-hack on previous account. I didn't knew what happened back then.

Thanks. I think I can stop using bank accounts now.
Bank accounts tend to be less secure, because generally if they get hacked it takes too long for you to figure out that that's happened.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
Originally Posted by Solax View Post
The only way that your account can be hacked is if you give out your password knowingly("Hey! I'll get you free toriprime!") or unknowingly(Phishing sites) or someone gets hold of a copy of the database. I don't remember if it is encrypted or not. You're pretty safe here. Just use your brain.

That's wrong. And it's not encrypted. Either way, if it was encrypted the encryption could be bruteforced if the hacker knew anything about what he was doing.
Originally Posted by suomynona View Post
Bank accounts tend to be less secure, because generally if they get hacked it takes too long for you to figure out that that's happened.

Plus bank accounts are really stupid in the first place. Unless it's for a clan.
Hi I'm Ravenger/brorave.
I was SMod before and then I got perma-banned.
It IS encrypted. And if they were using brute force attacks, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Do you realize, to brute force even the weakest commonly used algorithm today on a computer that could calculate the algorithm a billion times per second, it would require a period of time longer than the present age of the universe by a factor of a billion?

It's rather unfortunate stronger attacks exist against that algorithm.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
Originally Posted by suomynona View Post
It IS encrypted. And if they were using brute force attacks, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Do you realize, to brute force even the weakest commonly used algorithm today on a computer that could calculate the algorithm a billion times per second, it would require a period of time longer than the present age of the universe by a factor of a billion?

It's rather unfortunate stronger attacks exist against that algorithm.

If it's encrypted then how did those 8,000 some users get hacked?

I was thinking that you would've used rc4 or tripledes or something. Which there are public tools for bruteforcing with.
Hi I'm Ravenger/brorave.
I was SMod before and then I got perma-banned.