Toribash
Original Post
[new album I made]Bridge
I finished a new album earlier today. You should listen to it and leave some comments in this thread. It has lots of samples from Naked Lunch. Genre shifts from noisey dance to shoegaze to post rock to chillout guitar to ambient to whatever. I think it flows pretty well.
http://atribeofbrokenwhales.bandcamp.com/
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
Cant say im a fan,
got to the 4th track and decided i couldnt take much more of it.

the bassline from Rain was pretty cool. was enjoying that. even if i did think it could do with sounding a bit more like a bass guitar/double bass.
but there was just so much... noise
Last edited by BenDover; Jun 27, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Ah, you are the person that does "A tribe of Broken Whales". I saw the old link somewhere, and forever been in love. It's been on my favourites on google chrome, and now I know who to pay tribute to. Well done. I will gladly listen to the new album ^_^
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Love you guys. | Soɐd | Kiza | iRookie | Orko | TGS |
Zora | ViperTech

Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
Cant say im a fan,
got to the 4th track and decided i couldnt take much more of it.

the bassline from Rain was pretty cool. was enjoying that. even if i did think it could do with sounding a bit more like a bass guitar/double bass.
but there was just so much... noise

Haha, the noise is kinda a lot of the point :P
Thanks for listening though.

Originally Posted by Nyann View Post
Ah, you are the person that does "A tribe of Broken Whales". I saw the old link somewhere, and forever been in love. It's been on my favourites on google chrome, and now I know who to pay tribute to. Well done. I will gladly listen to the new album ^_^

Thanks!
<DeadorK> fair maiden
Wow, you do all kinds of stuff. Replays, movies, art (I'm pretty sure you do paintings or something like that), and now music?

Sounds nice. I'm not THAT into this kind of music, but I enjoy most of the tracks. Especially the thick bass line in "Rain". Somewhat noisy, but hey, that's the idea. Sadly, I can't give you much constructive criticism since I don't make music myself and I have no experience whatsoever :P

Anyway, keep it up man!
★★★★★
[Sigma] [ORMO] [OLDA] [OSHI] [a]lly
Well I like every song up there!

Fantastic job!
''The second industrial revolution has yet to be fully experienced by 17% of the world as nearly 1.3 billion people still lack access to electricity.''
I am very intrigued by your music. How do you make it? What software are you using? Also, the voice in "Rain" is that your own. Or sample voice from movies?
- Nonetheless, Keep up the amazing work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Love you guys. | Soɐd | Kiza | iRookie | Orko | TGS |
Zora | ViperTech

yummy yummy synths

The first few tracks are like, Starfucker meets A Sunny Day in Glasgow. Tasty shit. Has a really nice, ambient, dream-poppy feel-- I'll probably end up buying it so I can listen to it in surround sound instead of these crappy laptop speakers. As a whole, the album flows really well, but that's mostly because you sample the end of one song with the beginning of another and the run on it from there (I'll draw a comparison to A Sunny Day in Glasgow again). Not that that's a bad thing, but it makes "flow" seem a little more artificial and makes it less accessible to people who don't want to have to listen to an entire album to get a feel of your music. I would suggest breaking up the album into parts so that not every track flows into the next (for instance, treat tracks 1, 2 and 3 as a single piece but then deviate for track 4, which will then fade into track 5 and so on and so forth).

Track-by-track (skipping the ones I don't have any problems with):

On Gather Around the Spirit in the Throws of Death, you mispelled the eighth word in the track. In that context it would be Throes, not Throws. Just grammar nitpicking, the track itself is fine.

The drums on Maps and Atlases are great, but you should bring them to the foreground a little bit, they sound kind of washed-out and too natural/acoustic to fit in with the synthy, electronic feel of the album. Otherwise it's a great track.

On Flight of the Flower Feathered Phoenix, the crunchiness that come in around 3:00 (the staticy, heavy ones) should be toned down quite a bit so they don't completely drown the lighter synths at first.

Juncs Port is probably the only track on here I really and truly dislike. The drums are way too heavy and repetitive and the 8-bit synths are too, I'm not really sure if this track is salvageable so I won't even offer constructive criticism here.

Weave works well as a transitional track, the airplane-takeoff sounding stuff should probably be toned down just a tiny bit but that's all I have to say about it.

In The Forest is probably my favorite track on the album. The ambience in the beginning is really flowy and wavy and nice, but I have the same problem with the drums as on Maps and Atlases. Make the drums less sharp and percussive and treat them like a rhythm instrument instead of some sort of intrusion into the song. When you fade them out around 1:45 it's at the ideal volume level, but then you bring them back around 2:18.
When you bring them back at 3:30-ish they're perfect and they complement what I assume to be droning guitar really, really well (sounds just as good when you do it again around 5:00).

OVERALL: I'd give it a 7/10 as it stands. Very solid and consistent and not too drony or ambient or repetitive, which is pretty difficult to achieve in a genre like ambient/shoegaze. Good shit.
back from the dead
Originally Posted by Nyann View Post
I am very intrigued by your music. How do you make it? What software are you using? Also, the voice in "Rain" is that your own. Or sample voice from movies?
- Nonetheless, Keep up the amazing work.

I'm using ableton live. The voice is William S. Burroughs reading his book, Naked Lunch.

Originally Posted by oyster View Post
snip

Thanks for the pro criticism. :D
<DeadorK> fair maiden