Ranking
Original Post
Guitar hero, An end to a great game
I just read this whole atricle, and decided to post this here to inform you guys,

Did you hear that? It's the fat lady, singing her heart out.
Activision released a bombshell today during their latest earnings report by announcing that the once-vaunted Guitar Hero franchise will be unceremoniously put to rest for the forseeable future.
"Due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011," the company said in a statement.
It's just the latest bad news to hit the ailing music game genre. The most recent Guitar Hero game, Warriors of Rock, failed to ignite the sales charts, and in December of 2010, media giant Viacom sold off Rock Band developer Harmonix. Just last week, longtime Rock Band publisher MTV Games was officially shut down.

In addition to Guitar Hero, Activision has halted development on its True Crime: Hong Kong action game.
"These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences," they explained.
In a conference call, Activision said about 500 employees -- roughly 7% of its work force -- will be laid off by the cancellations.
It's not all doom and gloom, however, as Activision also revealed plans to support its Call of Duty franchise by forming a new internal studio. Dubbed "Beachhead," the team is tasked with creating a "best-in-class online community, exclusive content, and a suite of services" for the best-selling shooter series. The company will also be investing in a new online multiplayer game from World of WarCraft makers Blizzard.

First released on 2005 for the Playstation 2, Guitar Hero ushered in a lucrative era of music gaming. According to Activision, its 2007 iteration, Guitar Hero III, set an industry record by being the first video game to earn over $1 billion in retail sales. It's all been downhill from there, however, as the one-two punch of an economic downturn and an oversaturated music game market resulted in stagnant sales and dwindling consumer interest in the franchise.

Alittle Bummed out but hey, i liked it when it lasted

Credits of where i got this: http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/374...ero-franchise/
I'd hate to make this situation worse for you, but guitar hero is (was) a horrible plague on music. I'm glad, and not surprised, that it's finally dead.
You can't blame the economy for the games failure. Fads die out rather quickly, and the timing seems about right for this one.

Also, thank you for not insulting the art of music by putting this in the music forum.
Last edited by WhirlWindX; Feb 11, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
Hey. Sup
Originally Posted by WhirlWindX View Post
I'd hate to make this situation worse for you, but guitar hero is (was) a horrible plague on music. I'm glad, and not surprised, that it's finally dead.
You can't blame the economy for the games failure. Fads die out rather quickly, and the timing seems about right for this one.

Also, thank you for not insulting the art of music by putting this in the music forum.

Lol gtfo of here. This is music related whether you like it or not.

I for one have always enjoyed the game. I also proclaim to be a lover of music... So suck it to anyone who doesn't like this game.

And as for it being gone, there are always the PC versions that are good fun.
This is the Emergency Alert System. All normal programming has been discontinued during this emergency.
Originally Posted by Slith View Post
Lol gtfo of here. This is music related whether you like it or not.

I for one have always enjoyed the game. I also proclaim to be a lover of music... So suck it to anyone who doesn't like this game.

And as for it being gone, there are always the PC versions that are good fun.

People just get elitist because the game doesn't really teach you to play the instrument. The truth is, guitar hero is just a rhythm game, just like DDR, but for your fingers. It's stupid that people dislike it just because it makes playing an instrument seem "easy".

To all you naysayers, Forgive me if I'm making the wrong assumption here, and please correct me.
<insert (something) here>
I think the saddest thing here was that they laid off staff to focus on more CoD.
The hype has to die sooner or later, right?

Also Guitar Hero had the positive effect of getting young people into old music and bands, like how I heard some guys at school talking about going to a Bon Jovi concert.
I played up to about the first four, then I got rid of my Xbox. Not sure how many they made after that. I easily put 250 hours into GH, though.
Thanks.
I'm more shocked they havent killed off the Tony hawk franchise yet.

But on topic I'm not really surprised this is happening. GH and the whole rhythm game genre has been dying out for a while. I don't really care though. I like playing GH/RB but it's not something I feel like investing money in on a new set of songs every year.
FUCKING MAGNETS EVERYWHERE IN THIS BITCH
Originally Posted by randomguy8 View Post
I'm more shocked they havent killed off the Tony hawk franchise yet.

But on topic I'm not really surprised this is happening. GH and the whole rhythm game genre has been dying out for a while. I don't really care though. I like playing GH/RB but it's not something I feel like investing money in on a new set of songs every year.

Well the Tony Hawk's games have better soundtracks. ; )
Anyways, more info about this is here, on Ultimate Guitar.
Shut the fuck up Todd.
Originally Posted by Yagamai View Post
Well the Tony Hawk's games have better soundtracks. ; )
Anyways, more info about this is here, on Ultimate Guitar.

Yeah but those games aren't dependent on the soundtracks even though they for the most part are pretty sweet. I read the comments there and someone said they axed the Tony hawk games too.
FUCKING MAGNETS EVERYWHERE IN THIS BITCH