Ranking
Original Post
Burial: Dubstep? [MSC]
I have been listening to alot of dubstep of late and the artist Burial was first introduced to me this year as a dubstep artist. Now I am no idiot and self proclomation of a genre is very important however as a scholar of music and a producer I understand how to classify music and distinguis between genre's and sub genre's.
Burial lacks nearly every quality of a dubstep sound from the warbeling basslines to the tempo reduced drumloops.
in comparison to one of the most well known dubbers Rusko there is practicaly no similarity.
Now dont get me wrong, Im not saying atists of a genre should all sound the same but Burial lacks the things that distinguish dubstep. He may have the occasional metalic bassline but not much on the side of a warble and never a drop.
Dubstep has only recently been recognised as a popular genre so it still has to grow and we see the emergance of its sub-genres like death-dub and chilled dub. but to compare it to a more esttableshed Genre like house music perhaps Burial is the first of the Minimal dub revolution...

This is all speculation on a topic that has baffled me for months and I would love the opinion of some one who understands music and dubstep more than I do and is better educated on the subject.
Last edited by Helucinate; Jan 14, 2011 at 07:49 AM.
Masqued
I'm alright on dubstep, but i've never heard of Burial. I recommend listening to Mt Eden Dubstep or bassnectar or DoctorP etc for some sweet eargasms.

Proud founder and leader of [POLICE]
Sounds like you are talking about the bass-heavy party dubstep.

Dubstep is pretty wide, and Burial is not typical, but its not the first of its kind.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
I understand your point of view, but it is the first of its kind the only other artist Im aware of who produces the same music is Atomix or something like that. dubstep relies heavily on the warbleing bass lines. Having said that the bass line does not have to be intense or the main point of focus a all infact it can be a purely subverse line that can only be heard if you listen very hard... for instance The widdlers remix of Kid Cudi's Day n Night. Burial was the first of its kind, otherwise it would not be as popular underground as it is winning awards and being labeled the album of the year in 2007 by several websites, not to take away from Burial's genius. It is not conventionaly dubstep in any way shape or form
Masqued
Yes I understand that Dubstep originates from the early 90's branching off of jungle and acid, but it never took off like it has today and Burial still stands unique.
Masqued
Dubstep had been mainstream for a couple of years now. So many variations have sprung up that there is a huge array of music that can be considered dubstep. Hell, even the latest Britney Spear's single is apparently dubstep influenced.
mm thats because it had Rusko doing some of the production on it. but Im still waiting for difintive evidence that Burial can constitute as a true dubstep artist... I love his music deeply but I think it should be reclassified
Masqued
It's dubstep for sure, but not WUBUBUBUBUBUBUBUBUBUBUBUUB dubstep. Burial is one of a few good artists in this genre.

I really only listen to him and James Blake.
Leader of ORMO||Property of [T]||A replay thread