Ranking
Original Post
Fallout: New Vegas; Dumbed down for consoles?
So, I got this in a $40 pack from Steam at Christmas, so I thought I may aswell try and play it, but first I checked some reviews...

Apparently it has been dumbed down for consoles even more than Fallout 3.

- I heard the quests require no thinking, it puts a marker on the map and you go there and do what it says, you don't have to figure anything out.

- Everything is quest-chain based. The examples I heard included finding some dead soldiers and some tape, but not being able to do anything with it until the quest chain was at that point.

- No thinking required. A player I know found a secret password for some kind of base, however upon going to the base the password could not be entered. Eventually though the quest chain the next quest was to find the password (the dialogue did not acknowledge that he already had the password) and then go to the base. Upon going there he did not even need to enter it, it was entered for him.

Some other crit included; no rewards for exploring, dialogue is meaningless (there are no sidequests based on dialogue, only the quest log), there are no puzzles, everything is figured out for you, shit storyline, no incentive to play (the whole motive of the game is 'kill the guy who shot you' , as apposed to 'everyone you love will die' (FA2), or 'find your dad, the only guy who cares for you' (FA3)).

Oh, and something about you having to fix a sexbot for a pimp? I am guessing that isn't true.

Is it worth even downloading to play? Keep in mind I am not a console gamer, I'm a real gamer.

Share your thoughts on dumbing down games for consoles!

Inb4 "we have this thread", A) I don't have search, B) that is NV general
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Well of course the quests have dumbed down but there are side quest that are in notes and some it tease you some of it get you in a bad situation and what not.
[Pigs]|TA|AM|
Even more dumbed down than Fallout 3?

O_o

Is any thinking required, or is it "MW2 RPG in a desert"?
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Post-nuclear desert.
I don't feel a thing, and I stopped remembering
the days are just like moments turned to hours
MW2 ARPG in a post-nuclear desert.

Thanks for the clarification
Gorman, there is infact a quest to "fix a sexbot for a pimp".
The bot's name is Fisto (Double innuendo, since "Fisto!" was a unique powerfist in fallout3) and you get an opportunity to test it out if you wish.
The quest was "The Atomic Wrang-Dangler" or something like that I don't remember the specifics.

Also yes it's dumbed down on consoles. Probably to deal with MW2 (on console) players or stereotypical Halo freaks who start foaming at the mouth if they have to think about something for more than 5 minutes in order to progress the plot. And likely wouldn't take sidequests.
(Also i've played through Halo (1, 2 and 3) and MW2 so I think i'm entitled to make a comparison)
Last edited by 4zb41; Jan 11, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
O_O

Fisto!...

Wow ok. Expectations of this game are dropping...

For the record, I started the download of the game before I read 4zb41's post about Fisto!...
It's not a storyline quest, and I think it was made intentionally for perverts/teh lulz.
The two other parts of the quest include finding an "authentic female ghoul cowboy" and a "smooth talker for that 'boyfriend' experience".
[spoiler]Fisto ends up as being revealed as the pimp's personal request[/spoiler]

Also Gorman don't stop downloading it just because it has the occasional silly quest. (There's even a trait you can choose at the start which makes silly things appear more often). I found the game to be great fun, especially since Fallout 3 crashed so often on me and this one didn't.

Although here's some things that annoyed me:
*Near the start if you stray too far from the road and try free-roaming too early, mobs of high level monsters spawn and murder/rape/both you.
*Factions are hard to please again if you piss them off. Although the NCR are kind enough to issue an ultimatum, the Legion will randomly appear and attack with little more than an introductory "we're here to kill you" speech. Which makes pleasing the Legion again nigh-impossible.
*There's almost always a third option. The problem is that you likely won't know it without some luck or a walkthrough.
*F***ING CAZADORES

Good things:
*Exploration is rewarded. Usually with a nice weapon or armor, but sometimes with a megaton of caps.
*Stealth kills are entirely stealthy. No "this guy is dead therefore the player character must have done it".
*Third options are usually highly rewarded.
*Level scaling is pretty good. The only exceptions would be with Cazadores and Death Claws.
* The Ending is affected by what things you did in the game, inside and outside of the main story quests
Last edited by 4zb41; Jan 11, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
If you want fallout but more for HARDCORE PEOPLE SUCH AS MYSELF, aka a pretty hard game with survival aspects in a wasteland full of mutants and dangerous people, try S.T.A.L.K.E.R (SoC or CoP, CS is eh), it's basically the same idea only so much better.