Ranking
Original Post
Laptop shit again
I made a laptop thread aaages ago and yeah, shit didn't come of it (because no one replied)

I'm looking for a laptop to use as an audio server (so it needs to be quiet). It may enjoy some light gaming and some video watching (mostly just 720p).

I'm looking at the Lenovo y560.

I'm not too concerned about glossy vs matte (matte is preferred), I'd prefer a spdif output for audio (preferably without an additional dock or donghle). If I get the lenovo I'll probably use the HDMI out rather than the actual screen on the laptop when I am at home.

Are there any other laptops I should be looking at?

Battery life is no longer a concern- mostly noise.
Last edited by m0o; Jan 6, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Originally Posted by aerox21 View Post
Price range?

Up to 1k. Since most of the stuff I will be doing isn't particularly cpu/gpu/etc intensive, the lower the better without rediculous failure rates (like Compaq)
I would suggest you buying an Apple laptop. They tend to be quiet though they are bit pricey.

Or go with some other laptop that has ssd HDD.
Want to join GATA?Apply here
Free textures
[QUOTE=aerox21;3397432]I would suggest you buying an Apple laptop./QUOTE]

Nah.

Originally Posted by aerox21 View Post
Or go with some other laptop that has ssd HDD.

I'd rather larger storage than SSD. I can add an SSD later if I feel like it anyway.
-----
Fucking Lenovo, man. I can get a T410 for a reasonable-ish price but there is no way to use SPDIF on it. Like, they removed the option even from their docks and the fucking video dock doesnt even transmit audio over hdmi.

Derp
Last edited by m0o; Jan 6, 2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
I don't think most laptops even have enough sound quality to think about SPDIF.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
This may be off topic, but Compaq sucks?
Because I totally just bought a Compaq Presario laptop. I don't want to regret it.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by War_Hero View Post
I don't think most laptops even have enough sound quality to think about SPDIF.

Pretty sure the purpose of SPDIF is to make the laptop sound quality not an issue.
-----
I've managed to piece together two old laptops to create a functioning one. It has no spdif, but I can use USB audio.

Closed.
Last edited by m0o; Jan 7, 2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump