Toribash
Original Post
Gothic 2
Gothic 2: Night of the Raven is probably the best 3d RPG I've ever played. Yet, it is relatively unknown. As such, I doubt there is even a single thread about it on here (But I'm too lazy to check XD).
So, here are a few basic facts about it.

THE GOTHIC SERIES:

GOTHIC:
Being the second in the series (Obviously), it has to have a first in the series. That would be Gothic. Gothic is even more unknown than Gothic 2, and it's even worse. I, for 1, have not played Gothic. I have, however played the demo. For five minutes. But it sucks.

GOTHIC 2:
Gothic 2 is the sequel to Gothic, and the topic of this thread. However, I have not actually played Gothic 2 without its expansion, Night of the Raven. It is, however, built on the same system as Gothic.

GOTHIC 2: Night of the Raven
Gothic 2: NotR is the expansion to Gothic 2. Amongst other stuff, it adds a new area 1/3rd the size of what is included in regular Gothic 2, and makes the gameplay harder. Which is good.

GOTHIC 3:
Gothic 3 Is the sequel to Gothic 2. Unfortunately, it is built on a completely different engine. Nobody knows why. The controls are relatively easy to get used to, but there are glitches galore. Still, if you enjoyed Gothic 2, you will probably enjoy this.

GOTHIC 3: Forsaken Gods
I haven't actually played this. Haha.

Gothic 2: Night of the Raven

Quick Note:
Gothic 2: Night of the Raven is a very story-based game. Unlike other 3d RPG's, such as the Elder Scrolls series, you are not just told that you have to generally talk to this guy and then go to him or go somewhere else and do whatever. No. In Gothic 2: NotR, you have to do what you are told in order to unlock more unrelated quests. However, many of them are not unrelated. It's complicated.

Backstory:
Gothic 2: NotR has an unfolding story. Of course, there must have been a story in Gothic 1. Which there was.
NOTE: I played through Gothic 2 without knowing what happened in Gothic 1. Gothic 2 is still good as a standalone game!

You, the unnamed protagonist, are thrown into a magical barrier full of prisoners for committing some random crime. There, you meet many interesting characters, some of who you meet again in Gothic 2. You meet Xardas, who tells you to vanquish the mystical "Sleeper" dude. Then, you do, and are knocked out by a rock. The end.

Gameplay
Gothic 2: NotR uses very interesting gameplay. Moving around, of course, is simple, but some other keys are quite strange. To jump, you have to use the alt key, which also allows you to climb up objects. To interact, you use the Ctrl key. To fight, you have to pull out your weapon using the spacebar, and then hold ctrl and press arrow keys to swing.
This system is initially clumsy, but you can warm up to it and start using the different attacks to your advantage.

Another interesting feature is the difficulty.
Gothic 2: NotR is hard. Very hard. Save often, because you will die. A wolf can kill you at early levels. Luckily, you have, at your disposal, a lot of food and stuff which you can eat to gain HP and different things. Leveling up is relatively conventional.
Gothic 2 doesn't give you any hint as to how hard a monster is. You will find yourself killing goblins left and right, only to see a Black Goblin or two. "Pshaw, they're goblins," you think. "How hard can th-" and you die before you finish the sentence.
Wold be nice if you post a a game pic or video, just to give a better idea of the game, and maybe i will like the graphics
Buckshot Aspirin to ease ur headache
This would have to my favorite RPG game of all time, loved the story so much, and i actually kinda enjoyed the fighting controls. Spent endless hours playing this.
Originally Posted by eddy1217 View Post
This would have to my favorite RPG game of all time, loved the story so much, and i actually kinda enjoyed the fighting controls. Spent endless hours playing this.

QFT. I used to play Gothic 1 all the time. Great game. I definitely recommend this game.

And:

ψ|TRG|liveCRUX
I loved the first one, but never played the second one. I did play Risen, however, which was made after gothic games.
I repeatedly tried playing Gothic 3. I just can't do it. Too glitchy and when it wasn't glitchy it was horribly repetitive.