Ranking
Original Post
Thanks
So, I was building a computer for my graduation project this year. I also asked for help on this forums. I'm not sure where the threads are, but whatever. I just want to thank the people who helped me... I forget exactly who, but GenkiSudo was one of them so

Now for more info:

Goal: Play HL2 Ep2 on full settings

Met goal: Yeah... that would suck if I didn't.

Dxdiag info as attachment. Deleted a lot of crap to cut down on file size, though.
Attached Files
DxDiag.txt (1.6 KB, 23 views)
i liek turtelz xd
...a lot.

It was hard to get the exact prie, because some things were marked up since then, plus I can't count S&H, but here it is:

$865

This isn't counting the gfx card, either. I can't find it.

...Maybe I should have updated that cost spreadsheet I made more...

Luckily my parents are paying for it. For now. I have $700 in my bank, but I can't touch it because my dad's an asshole. So, when I turn 18 and get full control of my bank (And stocks ) I can pay them off.
Last edited by jaredvcxz; Mar 11, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
i liek turtelz xd
Display Memory: 2287 MB (I don't get this. The box says 512Mb. Maybe my oc did this?)

Its called TurboCache. (ATI has a similar technology called HyperMemory)

512MB are the Graphics card dedicated memory... But when that memory runs out, the card has the ability to reserve up to 1775MB of memory from the 4GB of RAM that you have on your computer.
1775 + 512 = 2287

Beware though, because using your RAM as shared memory is not as fast as using dedicated memory on the graphics card itself... it serves only as a way to remedy the lack of available memory to cache all of those textures and other information.

read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboCache
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperMemory
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Mar 12, 2010 at 02:01 AM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Originally Posted by jaredvcxz View Post
I see now. I'm pretty sure there's a way to decrease that amount in the NVidia control panel.

I forgot to mention... It wont use all of that memory unless it needs it... So don't worry about it. As of today, 512MB is still okay for most games with some exceptions... specially if you don't play at very high resolutions that need huge amounts of cached textures. Raising the resolution on modern games will cause the performance to drop, so you'll keep the resolution low on memory hogs like GTA4, for example.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Mar 12, 2010 at 02:58 AM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
It looks like this calls for: Researching my games before I get them :O

I haven't had to do that since I first got my vista computer...

I like to run games at full res just in case it crashes. I used to have screen calibration problems on my CRT. But I don't think that will be a problem with this LCD, though.
i liek turtelz xd