Toribash
Original Post
Weakest Link?
I've got a $70 dollar gift/debit card burning a hole in my wallet.

Which part of my pc would be in largest need of an upgrade?

CPU: Intel Q8300
GPU: 250 GTS 1gb
Ram: 8 gigs ddr2 (no brand-Asus?)
PSU: 1000 watt, just upgraded
HD: 750 gb, 50 gb left
Mobo: ASUS CG5270
Case: ASUS CG5270

There doesn't seem to be much info on the mobo other than being linked to the pc it came with, the CG5270-BP003, but I sure hope it has a more standard name, since I'd need to know it to find the right BIOS update.

The case is pretty bothersome too. The sides are perforated and really thin, so the fans (that I had to buy separately -.-) are really loud. Its size is huge, and the inside is pretty barebones. Also, poor ventilation.

I was disappointed that the mobo didn't support SLI though, although atm, my single card is doing just great.

I'm thinking either the mobo or the case. However, with a new motherboard, I'd either be stuck with socket 775 or have to upgrade to 1366/1156 (ddr3 can wait, lol). And while the q8300 is the shittiest of the shittiest of quadcores, or so it seems, it's good enough for almost all my games maxed.

I've never had any experience upgrading cases though. Is it generally a good idea?

How about top vs bottom psu's in cases?
How high up in price should I go? 60? 100? More?

Anything would help. I'd just like to learn more.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Wooh, pretty looking computer there,

Uhh... there's really nothing left to upgrade unless you want to buy a another GPU and run it in SLI if you want but I think your computer is already retard strong.

EDIT: didn't read the mobo part so I'm guessing you can't run it in SLI but with $70 I'd buy myself a 1 TB hard drive on newegg.
Last edited by DesiTwist; Jan 17, 2010 at 05:59 AM.
Proud leader of [TANG]
Old Schooler
Isn't this what 3DMark is for?

Go benchmark your rig, find out what the problem is yourself. Although in your case, I'm going to guess it's the graphics card. My 260x2 is the bottleneck in this system, so a 250's probably on the lower end of things.
Not now, that computer should be able to run most games on "Very High "without having trouble doing so.
<Catguy19.0> "Quote me."
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
Except to get an sli going, I'd need a new mobo. Is it worth it?

No really, what's the point of upgrading, your computer is already crazy fast.
Proud leader of [TANG]
Old Schooler
There's no point in an SLI set up with two 250's. It'll still be slower then a single 280.

My advice is to wait a few weeks until Nvidia's DirectX 11 cards get released, and buy the best one of those you can afford. You have the power supply for it, and the CPU should be fine. I'll probably be doing that myself.
The only thing I see that needs upgrading is the HDD. A HD needs replacing once you're down to only 20% free space, and you're well below that. Try getting a 1tb, as has been said earlier.
i liek turtelz xd
Get a new case. A case is an object that will always be useful, not only for your current PC, but also for the next PC you build. :)
Thanks guys! So in order: New HD, then save up for a new case, then one of the nvidia's 300 series. Never really thought about just getting a new card. :]

would a WD 7200rpm drive be good?
Or would another brand be better?
Also, Antec 900 v2 is good for my build? Or is it overkill? I really have nothingto compare it to. Any good case recs? Nothing too flashy and preferably 100 or less.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]