Toribash
Original Post
Help me choose a major
So Toribash,
I'm in 10th grade right now, and I have to choose some classes for the two following years depending on what major I want to take. Like if I want Medicine, I take higher Chemistry and higher Biology than someone who wants other than that.

So anyway, I wanted to choose Software Engineer as a major and Law as sub-major, unfortunately not a lot of colleges allow that sort to be mixed together, so I have to chose one.

Some pros and cons:

Software Engineer:
Pros
-I loved this dearly, I loved everything about computers and programming since I was a kid.
-
-

Cons
-There isn't a lot of job opportunities in Saudi Arabia (Where I'm living) for software engineers.
-I don't know shit about programming anything
-

Law:
Pros:
-One of the most wanted jobs and highest payings in Saudi Arabia
-
-

Cons:
-Holy fuck a lot of years of studying
-I'm really not into it.
-

Empty places are for you guys to fill up.

Now, I have done a bit of research but I'm no expert, if I make a mistake or so please forgive me and point me in the right direction.

Classes to study in high school:

Software Engineer: Computers, Math, Physics(what), and something else I forgot

Law: Economics, Math, Philosophy, History

So, what's your opinion?
Last edited by EchoMarine; Sep 17, 2009 at 07:14 PM.
Dude i dont want to insult you or anything but this is very important and asking people online which you should do is a bad idea. its your decision do what you want to do. But peoples opinion may help and good luck on your test
A VERY WISE MAN SAID TO ME IF YOU TRY HARD IN LIFE YOU WILL ACHIEVE GREAT THINGS, I LAUGHED AT HIM AND LEFT
Never go for something you're not into, you won't do well at it. If you do something you love such as programming, then I suggest you do that.
[19:39] <Birdflu> I'm just sad that I can't give myself one
[19:39] <Birdflu> I'd have a great time
Well, the only advice that I can give you is to choose something that you really like (like if you are good and you really like programming, choose Software Engineering...), and that will guarantee a result after. What I mean by that is, make sure it's something that will allow you to work and get paid decently.

Think about the length of what you'll choose (law would be imo something that wouldn't fit you since you don't really want to deepen and which is very long).

Don't forget that you have a life btw.

Make your choice now
Gone
Do Law, that's what I am studying at university. There is a wide variety of areas and it doesn't mean you need to go and practice law once you are finished. You can go into the business and financial sectors with a law degree as well.
Beta testing for games is sometimes well played...depends where you live and things..

But get to study something that you think you will be good at.
Centuries Of Damn
If you know all this then why can't you just make a decision yourself? If law gets you more money and it's a very wanted job in your country then do it.
Originally Posted by EchoMarine View Post
So yeah guys, law in Saudi Arabia gets you around 30,000$ a month, extra thing to add

Meh, money is a thing, but do you think you can handle a long period of school?

You just said that it was pretty long and you don't really like that.
Gone
Originally Posted by Fyerrblad View Post
Meh, money is a thing, but do you think you can handle a long period of school?

You just said that it was pretty long and you don't really like that.

True. But in life you have to work hard (usually) to get a good job, and the hard work will pay off.