Toribash
Originally Posted by Jakeway View Post
This isn't the discussion board so I won't go find a study that links age to brain development to maturity. Google it. I'm not salty because of a ban I was being a troll and got banned. Then of course I tried to bullshit my way out of it with redundant and bozo showed up to give me another month on a whim. Which is fine, it just shows how this forum is run.

As someone who is on neither side of this argument you can't just say something without backing it up, that's not how reason works. Evidence falls on the accuser (you), not the other way around. Telling us to "google" what you're trying to prove is pretty fucking stupid.

Edit: really fucking stupid, actually.

Edit2: also just "googling" something doesn't mean shit. Here's an article I googled as to why slavery should still exist

Edit3: However I will agree that sometime the moderators do get a bit douchey. take this thread for example, Erth just straight up tells the OP to "stop posting pls". How is this necessary in any way? How was being a dick to the OP going to get ANYTHING done? Why tell him to "stop posting pls" rather than tell him that the thread has no real discussion material? If moderators are supposed to be an example of how to behave, do we want the entire community being dicks to each other?
Last edited by 2worlds; Aug 28, 2013 at 03:35 AM.
T0ribush: I could not get into two worlds even if my life depended on it.
ಠ_ಠ ಥ_ಥ
I think that in this case at least, experience trumps studies.

Anyways, I'm not entirely pro-staff here either. The punishments tend to get pretty out of hand every now and then. Ideally anyone who isn't a repeat offender or is doing something specially bad shouldn't have to survive more than a day banned, and in most cases where the staff is being very liberal with the banhammer it's because the user has time and again refused to learn from his mistakes, but I'll agree that the staff can come off as extremely hostile and prompt people to act likewise and get bigger punishments. siku and Chozo spring to mind, actually. Great moderators, still wouldn't want to be in a room with them.
<&Fish>: did you just infract the toribot?
<&Fish>: you're fired
<JSnuffMARS> sounds like a drug-addiction or mastu(I'll censor that word)
<bishopONE>: also yeah fisting
<mwah> Gynx is it true you got admin over hero because hes from pakistan
I don't even mind the ban because they don't moderate alts to closely or don't care. But uniformity is important when dealing punishment. I understand some cases may need special attention. But let's say flaming gets you a warning, 1st offense 1 day, 2nd 1 week, so on. Some you won't get a warning for of course and the degree if punishment will be higher and escalate much more quickly. A set of rules for the mods wouldn't be a bad thing, and if you have a set think of revising it. Like bozo, shows up as I'm appealing my ban with redundant slaps another month on for intentionally breaking the rules then trying to get out of it and wasting staffs time. So how about instead of a month ban a staff member says "the ban is not being reduced, please do not press this further" close thread. If I make a new thread on the subject throw out a ban extension.wow revolutionary thinking
-----
Also still not googling it for you, I actually thought it was common knowledge till this thread. Also experience doesn't trump a study. Isolated cases don't prove something as a fact.
Last edited by Jakeway; Aug 28, 2013 at 03:54 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Okay, lets say Fyerrblad is the exception to the rule. I suppose he is anyways. Why would you put an age restriction on applications if younger people will be visibly inferior anyways? What's more, why would you regulate age if there's even a possibility someone like him exists? Sounds useless.
Well they usually are blatantly inferior and generally don't know jack shit about being a moderator. At the same time higher ups let it slide, like the even higher ups let other shit slide. For the last part, do you want to sift through 100 pounds of shit for a $100? Also I can't help but doubt his abilities. I don't know what his job was though or what responsibilities he had.

Also you skipped every constructive point in the thread to defend having 13 year old mods.
That's because I agree to a certain degree. You lay down your points pretty badly but they exist to some extent. It's easier to discuss the points I actually care to find wrong.
Originally Posted by 2worlds View Post
Edit3: However I will agree that sometime the moderators do get a bit douchey. take this thread for example, Erth just straight up tells the OP to "stop posting pls". How is this necessary in any way? How was being a dick to the OP going to get ANYTHING done? Why tell him to "stop posting pls" rather than tell him that the thread has no real discussion material? If moderators are supposed to be an example of how to behave, do we want the entire community being dicks to each other?

Full picture includes infraction history and previous threads. Lets take a look at his contribution to Off-Topic.
May 11, 2013 Lets make a 5 word story
Jun 29, 2013 Men's "eggs" It is believed that girls wanna eat the sperms because men's eggs are full of protein is that true? (he didn't even get infracted for this)
Jul 6, 2013 sudden craving for filipino street food
Jul 15, 2013 what is the most useless post you have ever seen?

While the thread in question was probably a lot better than the ones listed above, it doesn't really look like it was about to achieve its purpose.
Originally Posted by Jakeway View Post
I don't even mind the ban because they don't moderate alts to closely or don't care. But uniformity is important when dealing punishment. I understand some cases may need special attention. But let's say flaming gets you a warning, 1st offense 1 day, 2nd 1 week, so on. Some you won't get a warning for of course and the degree if punishment will be higher and escalate much more quickly. A set of rules for the mods wouldn't be a bad thing, and if you have a set think of revising it. Like bozo, shows up as I'm appealing my ban with redundant slaps another month on for intentionally breaking the rules then trying to get out of it and wasting staffs time. So how about instead of a month ban a staff member says "the ban is not being reduced, please do not press this further" close thread. If I make a new thread on the subject throw out a ban extension.wow revolutionary thinking.

Ya know, some staff just don't like it when you lie to their faces. The staff you're whining about have reduced and lifted as many bans as, if not more than, they have extended.
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Full picture includes infraction history and previous threads. Lets take a look at his contribution to Off-Topic.
May 11, 2013 Lets make a 5 word story
Jun 29, 2013 Men's "eggs" It is believed that girls wanna eat the sperms because men's eggs are full of protein is that true? (he didn't even get infracted for this)
Jul 6, 2013 sudden craving for filipino street food
Jul 15, 2013 what is the most useless post you have ever seen?

While the thread in question was probably a lot better than the ones listed above, it doesn't really look like it was about to achieve its purpose.

How does this excuse the fact he was blatantly insulting the OP? Just because someone has a history of bad posts doesn't mean a moderator, someone who should be an example to the community, should insult them. Just because someone shitposts a lot doesn't mean they deserve to be told to "stop posting". If the thread isn't useful, close it. Compare the game companies that have moderators that aren't insulting jerks (pre-activision blizzard, valve, Riot) to those who censor/insult their customer base (WarZ guys, EA).

Both my parents own a business, and I definitely picked up some expertise from them. Here's what I see everytime this happens: Someone in power insults a potential customer, and that potential customer is much, much less likely to buy anything from them. Ever since some moderator back in 2010 or 2009 insulted me based on very shadey grounds, along with a perma-ban that lasted a week because I posted something a moderator disagreed with, I haven't bought anything from this game.

The only reason someone should "stop posting" is if they're banned, and I dont think the OP has done anything worthy of a ban. So telling someone to stop posting if they're not being banned is counter intuitive and just, lack of a better word, douchey.

Obviously not all moderators are terrible, but they do need to be held to a higher standard or else what's the point of even having them?
Last edited by 2worlds; Aug 28, 2013 at 06:33 AM.
T0ribush: I could not get into two worlds even if my life depended on it.
ಠ_ಠ ಥ_ಥ
That brings me to another point fish staff defends staffs action all the time. Of you really think Chozo handled that in a correct fashion and he wasn't salty at the fact I implied he was incompatent last time me and him decided to have a disagreement. If there was actually a structure that staff was expected to follow everything would go just a little bit smoother.