Ranking
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Also, really excited for the new PSP monster hunter game coming out.

Don't hold your breath. Capcom haven't officially announced an English release of the game, and the current rumoured release date is only around because usually they release the English version of the MH games about 8 months away from the Japanese one. Also they've pretty much confirmed they weren't releasing MH Frontier in English speaking parts of the world because of lack of interest (and thus low sales) outside of Japan. The English fanbase is simply too small

Originally Posted by Alaistier View Post
4zb, I'm on the high-rank guild quests, and I'm stuck on the urgent where you have to kill/repel the rust Lao Shan.. My friend and I made it to area 5 and by the time time ran out, we had 70% integrity.. But it said we lost. How come it didn't flee? We were non-stop attacking his face, so I don't get why he wasn't weak enough. We even managed the lucky double-dragonator, where it hits him twice. Any advice?

If you haven't caused enough damage to it by the time the mission ends, you will not have "repelled" it and the mission will fail. Don't worry, I had problems with it first time too.
Here's some advice:
*Lao Shan is weakest to Dragon element, but also to fire should you not have a decent dragon weapon.
*When fighting it on foot, try to go for the feet. Quake res helps here.
*If you have a cutting weapon (LS, L, SnS etc.) go for the stomach.
*Sharp (above blue) impact weapons work great on the head. If you don't have a weapon with high enough sharpness, use decorations to get the "Fencing" skill. Failing that, try to get the "Artisan" skill.
*Place barrel bombs near the place he enters each new area from. Make sure these are aligned with his head and detonate them by damaging them in some way when his head goes past.
*If you're using a bowgun, pierce shots straight down through the centre of his head will cause heaps of damage. Dragon/fire shots to the face work too.
*Always remember to use the Anti-Dragon barrel bombs, but don't waste time you could be using hitting him by just standing on the ledge waiting for your chance to jump on him. Also you can carve some Lao Shan parts or dragon herbs while you're waiting for the bomb to go off.
*Use all the time you have in each area to inflict damage on him.
*Take a farcaster (and the materials to make more) so you can get back to base faster and set up for fighting him in the next area. This way you don't have to worry about getting past his tail safely.
*The best time to use the dragonator at the castle bit (final area where the MH theme plays) is when he rears up on his hind legs and moves towards the keep. Activate it as soon as his stomach is in range (or when he starts to attack)
*If you have someone with the "Backpacker" skill, get them to courier cannon balls to the keep and fire them. They do a lot more damage than the ballistas do. Be careful of the Ioprey.
*If one of you is a gunner, get that person to stay on the keep and keep the ballista shots and cannons firing - and then after that they can switch to their actual bowgun.
*If you're a blademaster (melee) go for his feet or stomach at this point. Impact (hammers, greatsword etc.) works best on the head or feet.
*Bounce bomb+ may also prove handy here. Aim for the face or upper stomach.

If you still can't beat it, you'll need to go make you some new weapons (and maybe some armor with better skillsets). Remember dragon element is best. I would NOT recommend the "Black" weapons (the ones that require Fatalis parts to upgrade) at this point in the game - try to get the ancient shard weapons (like the rustshard ones. They're pretty difficult to obtain but totally worth it.)
Last edited by 4zb41; Apr 24, 2011 at 04:20 AM.