Toribash
Originally Posted by sirkill1 View Post
I heard that growing tobacco is really damaging to the soil and that it requires growing other plants every other year, what are your plans for that

Had i still been a smoker I'd type an essay with pseudoscientific arguments for this.
. . .
list0 on Discord, reach out for inquiries.
Or send me a private message, I'm responsive.

[7:19 PM] Aliosa: Can't have loopholes if there are no loops.

[9:14 AM] Viddah: Just remember if you step on toes youre gonna have to suck on them to make the pain go away
[9:16 AM] [Faux_fan]ancient: put me in the screenshot
Originally Posted by controla View Post
monocropping is bad for the soil and local ecology no matter which plant you are growing, which is why I try and grow a variety of plants and put a lot of effort into rejuvenating the soil in between crops by adding fresh compost and manure which can break down and provide the nutrients and minerals than the soil needs to feed the plants.

if you wanna see the negative side of monocropping just look at florida rn. They've grown a single variety of orange over countless orchards and now they're screwed because of a bug that is ruining orange harvests. If they hadn't only planted one variety of one fruit, they would have plenty of other sucsessful healthy crops right now, but because they practiced monocropping they are facing huge financial struggles right now

-----------

After a bit of googling and looking deeper into it I think that tobacco farming does cause a lot of problems, but mainly when it's grown on a large scale. First off, there is deforestation to make way for the crops, and then there is the fact that monocropping depletes the soil of its resources, and then you have the fact that big tobacco industry uses chemical fertilisers and pesticides. Unfortunately, all three of these factors aren't only limited to tobacco but most crops that can be grown.

as I'm doing all of my cultivation on a smaller scale I'm able to avoid using any inorganic pesticides and fertilisers and only use things that come from nature to enrich the soil. This was a big motivator for me to start growing my own crops as even organic foods in the supermarket are mass produced and sprayed while growing/processing. Because I'm growing using organic methods, I don't ever need to worry about using chemicals on the plants that will hinder the soil ecology, and I already try and practice biodiversity in my garden

I'm curious, have you ever looked into or experimented with agroforestry or permaculture techniques? These methods could potentially complement your current practices and further enhance the sustainability of your cultivation. It seems like you're already on the right track, but exploring these alternatives might offer some interesting insights and ideas for your garden. Keep up the amazing work, and I'm excited to hear more about your journey in sustainable farming!
. . .
list0 on Discord, reach out for inquiries.
Or send me a private message, I'm responsive.

[7:19 PM] Aliosa: Can't have loopholes if there are no loops.

[9:14 AM] Viddah: Just remember if you step on toes youre gonna have to suck on them to make the pain go away
[9:16 AM] [Faux_fan]ancient: put me in the screenshot
i've had a potted ginseng ficus in my room for like a year now, and it's never had any problems, grows when i give it nutrients, and thrives in low light. Survived the move back from uni in my passenger seat no problem

I recently got some other houseplants to add to my collection
peace lily (already dying rip)two money trees (one big and one sprout)
a big zamioculcas zamiifolia raven (coolest plant i have)
some kind of palm which is cool and sturdy
Glimpsed
I would really like to start in all of this because it is rather interesting but I live in the desert.

I would have to soil my own spot correct?
|Team Aikido|Obey|
Originally Posted by controla View Post
Yeah, at first you'd probably have to purchase a lot of compost but after a while you will start to make your own from the inedible parts of food that you normally throw away and from plant scraps when you harvest your crops

my advice would be to try and grow species of veg and fruit that are native to your country as these will have the best chance of surviving and wont cause any harm to the local ecosystem

Compost? Alright alright, I am on completely beginning terms. I thought dig hole put seed in hole, water. I learned vaguely about this in school but hung on to none of that information.
|Team Aikido|Obey|