Toribash
Original Post
Headsets
So a while ago I remember looking at all different headset products, and thinking how great it would be to rid my desk of my monitors, and just use a headset to game and all that.

At the time the headsets were never really that impressive, but Sony has something new at CES...

Featuring two 3D-ready OLED screens with a resolution of 1280x720 and built-in speakers, the head-mounted display is highly immersive and creates the impression that you're watching a big screen.

1280x720 isn't exactly god mode (I think 90% of PC users will be running at 1650x1080 now days), but it would certainly be nice.

I think using a set of those, along with some kind of "Cube Desktop" software (you know the one, it lets you have multiple workspaces, like what Fedora does, or Ubuntu. Or just use them...) would be really neat.
Plus, 3d is always nice.

Headsets vs monitors; discuss.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
The problem with headset technology is going to be the weight of wearing one. They can certainly make it light, but a monitor obviously exerts no force.

Headsets, in theory can provide a better picture if the tech matches because they wont be corrupted by ambient lighting.

IMO glasses with transparent HUDs is the FUTURE.

The day this shit becomes usable and I can see times, temperature, etc ambiently by touching the side of glasses is the day I actually buy glasses.
Last edited by m0o; Jan 11, 2011 at 06:45 AM.
Indeed, its pretty annoying to have to whip out a mobile phone on the go.
For work/home I would prefer complete immersion though. Or perhaps some kind of hybrid that can swap between the 2 modes.

If only it was legal to have BCI feeding in rather than out... That would be an even better solution. But people are all worried about 'brain hacking' and the like.
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Hmmm, total privacy is always nice :P until you have friends over and want to show some YouTube clips.

I've never tried a headset before and I'm curious: does having the screen so close cause a huge amount of strain on your eyes?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Yeah thats true, I guess you will need a spare monitor anyway...

Not that I have heard. Generally the strain caused by screens is due to the flicker rate (especially in 3d tvs), the headsets have 2 separate screens so can use half the framerate of a 3d tv (which flicks in between left/right eye on 1 screen at twice the rate), so the technical difficulties in getting a decent framerate are not consequential. Remember that because of the lens the screens look a meter or so away, and your eyes will focus accordingly. Perhaps they may even have less strain!
So it doesn't look like you are holding two gameboys to your eyes? Haha, that's how I always imagined it. Wizardry.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Holy shit, the world is getting so technologic :o Honestly, im looking forward for something like this to come to the states. I will definently buy it, and have alot of fun with it too :V Maybe this is what touchable 3d technology will be in the upcoming years
Originally Posted by Onamist View Post
Any idea of any kind of release date and price on those things?

No idea, its a concept, so its not necessarily going to be mass produced.

You can buy similar (non-3d) models, and have been able to for many years.
You know, I like monitors. No way I want to have a damn headset to put on and make me look like a fuckwit while I look at pr0n or play video games or write. I mean I guess it would be kinda cool, but aside from some sort of mobile device, which would still be annoying, I don't really see the need for these. Plus they would probably cause retina damage or something...just sayin.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.