Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Original Post
Fighting Tactics: Prediction vs. Adaptation
So I was having a conversation ingame with someone (whose name I will not mention), and we were discussing the fighting tactics of wushu and aikido. His stance was that wushu is all about prediction and figuring out all angles of your opponent's attack so that you can create an effective counter attack. He thought that aikido was limited to adapting to your opponent's moves and that there was no prediction (or very very little prediction) involved. Essentially, it was random.

Now this topic is not discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the two mods. It's discussing the strengths and weaknesses of prediction and adaptation. You can use the aikido and wushu mods if needed, but this is not a war debating wushu vs. aikido. I REPEAT: This is not a debate of wushu vs. aikido. Any flaming or useless posts will be reported (e.g. WHAAAT? U CRAZY? ofc aikdio's better than dat wushu stuf).

I don't think that this is Discussion board material, but if a mod thinks it is, go ahead and put it there.
beep
I've thought about that a couple of times. Generally, not just Aikido or Wushu. I agree with your friend, though. In Aikido, all you can do is observe the moves made, and adapt to what happens. Then again, figuring out angles and counterattacking is adaptation in itself. So, its kindof a circular reasoning. You adapt in both mods, its just a bit different of an adaptation.
Thanks.
Both require prediction, it's just that wushu has longer turn frames and you have to plan for longer-term when you move. Aikido is more of a touchy-feely mode - there are more movement-response instances - and there is more opportunity to correct a mistake throughout the fight.
Prediction is good in aikido, because you can prepare to counter a shovel if it comes, then if not, you can adapt to whatever your opponent did.

i don't play much wushu, but odlov pretty much covered it

[T]
#hi

It sounds like that someone doesn't know how to play aikido very well, if all they do is react. Obviously there are moves and maneuvers to put the other guy on his head. I haven't played a "random" game of aikido since I was a beginner. And of course, when you're doing some sort of attack there's always predicting to do. Then if it fails you adapt.

The difference between that and wushu is the turnframes. If there's fifty, you have to predict fifty's worth. If there's ten, you predict ten's worth. If you predict shorter intervals, naturally you have to adapt more. Other people have said that.
[Inq]
Need help with anything? Have a question? PM me! I'll try my best to help you.
Im more of an adaptation person cause i'm not good at predicting i usually will do a kick to the spine or arm and they use a reverse snap kick or something nooby and i lose a leg in the process but ya i'm more of an adaptation person...
Predicting is what you do before an opponent strikes. You foresee their attack/throw and try to nullify it before it happens.

Adapting is what you do AFTER an opponent strikes. Your position is changed after you are hit or you nullified a hit, so you must adapt yourself to this new position to continue to attack or defend.

All mods have both these elements. It's just more important in wushu to predict because it's 50 turnframes, making it harder to suddenly swap your attacking limb, so it'd be a bit easier to predict. It's also harder to adapt afterwards.

Aikido is the opposite. Lower turnframes and restricted movement (cos of the other guy grabbing you) makes games a lil more unpredictable. Adapting is easier since you have more time to do so, by predicting is still important since your opponent cand still suddenly shift his weight.