Toribash
Original Post
Maya Help
So I'm still very new to Maya,

So I extruded a polygon, and when I add subdivisions it only does it to the first "cut" and the rest are just flat, any way to fix this so it's all in an equal "thickness"?

img

|Evil|
I don't exist
this initial setting are just for initializing objects, it glitches after you edit the object in size or topology

So you may ask " how do I do then?"
go to the edit mesh menu and find create edge loop, click on the square to define how you will do the edge loops.
you can select them relatively or equal spaced and the option of how many you can put at once.
to get a complete edge loop you need all square polies path.
google flow of mesh and all quad solutions.

also, you put a three faces sharing an edge, it is called non manifold geometry, take care, this can lead to problems
Last edited by dengue; Jan 17, 2017 at 12:51 AM.
yeah what he said.

Simply explained:
Basically once you edit the object its too late to change subdivision width or height of the object, it only works on an object you haven't modified yet.

You can use insert edge loop tool and then press the face and extrude, but its only one of the many tools in your toolbox. However its nice to get familiar with the edgeloop tool because its used quite a lot in modeling.
Thanks to the both, now I have another question.
So in UV mapping, do I just move the UV shapes wherever I can just to clean the sheet up or is it best to leave it where it was first loaded.
Also if i were to move them, is there any format that It could make it easier when texturing?

The bottom left is what I've moved.

IMG

Last edited by Lucy; Jan 17, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
|Evil|
I don't exist
For this you should probably look up some tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2qFdVr-FEk&t
You can decide how you want to lay out the UVs, but generally its a nice idea to keep the UVs well organized and in as few parts as practically possible, making the UVs are a skill upon itself. Think of it as how you want to unfold your object so you can paint on it.

UV mapping image

Thanks Ezeth, So I guess for pointers, Is this a decent format?

IMG

Edit: I did make the uv's bigger. In case I get corrected.
2nd Edit: How would I go about making the light gray area on the top right bigger?

And I'm also getting this, don't know how to fix it.

Img

Last edited by Lucy; Jan 18, 2017 at 03:11 AM.
|Evil|
I don't exist
the lighter gray area is the uv active area, you can zoom in as well, keep all the UV to that area,
to make everything fit there, just find the menu polygons and select layout, a tip is to click on the box button in the side and configure it.

The other areas can be used to make multiple UV areas used fot animation.
Originally Posted by dengue View Post
the lighter gray area is the uv active area, you can zoom in as well, keep all the UV to that area,
to make everything fit there, just find the menu polygons and select layout, a tip is to click on the box button in the side and configure it.

The other areas can be used to make multiple UV areas used fot animation.

Ok makes sense.
Thanks.

Do you know how to fix the transparent area ingame?
Last edited by Lucy; Jan 18, 2017 at 04:01 AM.
|Evil|
I don't exist
I recommend you to put a opaque texture and fit the uvs inside the lighter gray area.
export the file as OBJ, name it as head.obj and the texture and head_obj.tga.
also, keep aware of the size and opacity of the Item.dat file.
Well I got all of that, it's just when I put the uv's in game through photoshop, the item appears to be in wireframe.
|Evil|
I don't exist