Toribash
Original Post
Inno3D Geforce FX 5500
Hi guys, I was wondering, my cousin is buying this graphics card.

I heard about something called "Converter" which is required for graphics card.
------------------------------------------------------------
Do anyone know if this "converter" thing is required for "this" graphics card?

AND

Is this graphics card okay for his PC?

His specs are:

- Intel pentium 4 2.9 Ghz.
- 1 gb of ram.
- Built-in graphics card (Deep Shit!)
- 80 gb hard disk (another deep shit!)
...for about the same price, you could almost certainly get something newer. The 5500 is about 8 years old, and might not be much of an upgrade from the likely newer built in graphics card. As for "converter", I think the question here is actually what slot he has on his motherboard. If it's an AGP slot, I have no idea what a 2.9 GHz CPU is doing in the computer, and if it's a PCIe slot I have no idea what you're thinking about getting a card that old for.

As for details on determining AGP vs PCIe, you should definitely peek at Wikipedia.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
The latest graphics cards are the AMD 6000 series or the nvidia 500 series, it is thaught that betwean Q1 and Q2 next year that the (nvidia)600 and (amd)7000 series will be launched, which will undoubtedly be better than the graphics cards of today, weather you wait or buy now is your choice.

Use Tomshardware to check if a graphics card is any good, they hav comprehencive and extensive charts on the subject:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...marks,123.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...amer,2671.html
the 5500 is beyond old.
my work pc has a 6600gt and it struggles to run toribash without shaders, purely because its old.
i had a 5700 in 2004/5 and it was nothing special.

most motherboards nowadays have onboards that would leave the 5500 in their dust.

but granted the pc in question isnt that great, but i would still look at an 8600gt rather.
unless he gets the 5500 for free, i cannot imagine why someone would buy that.

the AGP / PCi thing, well i dunno, the inno3d sites links regarding the 5500 dont even work anymore.
its more likely to be PCI tho, and im guessing thats what the motherboard supports aswell.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Originally Posted by suomynona View Post
...for about the same price, you could almost certainly get something newer. The 5500 is about 8 years old, and might not be much of an upgrade from the likely newer built in graphics card. As for "converter", I think the question here is actually what slot he has on his motherboard. If it's an AGP slot, I have no idea what a 2.9 GHz CPU is doing in the computer, and if it's a PCIe slot I have no idea what you're thinking about getting a card that old for.

As for details on determining AGP vs PCIe, you should definitely peek at Wikipedia.

Originally Posted by Vox View Post
The latest graphics cards are the AMD 6000 series or the nvidia 500 series, it is thaught that betwean Q1 and Q2 next year that the (nvidia)600 and (amd)7000 series will be launched, which will undoubtedly be better than the graphics cards of today, weather you wait or buy now is your choice.

Use Tomshardware to check if a graphics card is any good, they hav comprehencive and extensive charts on the subject:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...marks,123.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...amer,2671.html

Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
the 5500 is beyond old.
my work pc has a 6600gt and it struggles to run toribash without shaders, purely because its old.
i had a 5700 in 2004/5 and it was nothing special.

most motherboards nowadays have onboards that would leave the 5500 in their dust.

but granted the pc in question isnt that great, but i would still look at an 8600gt rather.
unless he gets the 5500 for free, i cannot imagine why someone would buy that.

the AGP / PCi thing, well i dunno, the inno3d sites links regarding the 5500 dont even work anymore.
its more likely to be PCI tho, and im guessing thats what the motherboard supports aswell.

Really?. .....Guys? is 5500 THAT old?

well, i think he should get something newer in his machine.

Maybe, a card that can run tb shaders easily.

Price isn't a problem but i just want a reasonable price range.

Slot is AGP 8x.

Any Suggestions?

EDIT: ok guys, here is another one i have my eyes on:

Inno3D Geforce 7600 AGP 512MB DDR2
Last edited by LeL0uch; May 31, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
If he wants an AGP card that can handle shaders then you're looking at a 6 series or higher, the game will literally be unplayable on a 5 - as in 1 or 2 fps.

A 6600gt can sorta handle 30fps, though a 7600gt or higher would be needed to stop any frame drops. (though still limiting the game to 30fps)

These days you'll be lucky to find anything on AGP that'll manage.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
You'll need to replace the motherboard, to upgrade to PCIe, your best of getting a new computer.
Ok guys, i ordered 7600 GT. It got a hell of 512 mb video memory and pixel shader 3.0.

I can run tb shaders now. (and most cool games too)