Toribash
Original Post
Push-ups and squats
If I am doing push-ups and squats every weekday and resting on the weekends, am I getting enough rest? I've been reading to only do 3 week and rest the rest of the time, so I was just wondering if 5 days was too much.
Tree
it depends on how intense the routine is. are you adding weight to the pushups and squats or is it just bodyweight? how many reps are you doing per set?

generally speaking, doing 5 days in a row of any routine is a little much. if you prefer to work out 5 days a week, try resting on wednesday/saturday or just something with more frequent, shorter breaks
Your pal,
crith
I'm doing 4 sets of 25 bw push-ups and 4 sets of 40 bw squats
-----
Nothing intense just trying to build a bit of muscle
-----
Although once I get to the point where this becomes easy I will make it harder. Add more reps/sets, add weight, etc. one I do this I'd like to keep the same routine
Last edited by Tree; Jan 25, 2016 at 03:27 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Tree
If you're eating enough calories to be at a surplus, if you're consuming enough protein to rebuild your muscles as they breakdown from exercise, if your body is running optimally by reaching the RDA in Vitamins, Minerals, if you're staying hydrated, if you're sleeping and giving yourself enough time to recover between work outs, and if your exercise routine contains some type of progressive overload: you will gain muscle.

>Source, I'm a Kinesiologist.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
All I can afford to buy is ramen, I've been trying to not eat much of that. I eat everything they provide at school but no telling how healthy that is or what's in it. When they have fruit I try to grab a lot of it without getting caught. I eat maybe 3-4 fruits a day. I drink a lot of milk and water. I drink a coke about 3 times a week but I'm working on getting rid of soda completely.

Based on this would I be better off with a 5 day a week workout or 3 day? Or maybe something different?

I also have a trampoline (a real one, not one of the small workout ones) that I jump in for about 30 minutes a day with my little brother.

On another note, would it be better/worse/no difference to have different rest days for the push-ups and squats?
Tree
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
I'm doing 4 sets of 25 bw push-ups and 4 sets of 40 bw squats
-----
Nothing intense just trying to build a bit of muscle
-----
Although once I get to the point where this becomes easy I will make it harder. Add more reps/sets, add weight, etc. one I do this I'd like to keep the same routine

sounds easy.. if that's all you're doing, you should be fine
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
Originally Posted by ThePirateKing View Post
sounds easy.. if that's all you're doing, you should be fine

It kind of isn't though. I start struggling with push-ups at about 10 and squats at about 25. I'm terribly out of shape
Tree
short answer no it's not too much

especially since I'm assuming you're doing bodyweight
teeth marks on my goosebumps, the chains frostbit me.
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
If you're eating enough calories to be at a surplus, if you're consuming enough protein to rebuild your muscles as they breakdown from exercise, if your body is running optimally by reaching the RDA in Vitamins, Minerals, if you're staying hydrated, if you're sleeping and giving yourself enough time to recover between work outs, and if your exercise routine contains some type of progressive overload: you will gain muscle.

>Source, I'm a Kinesiologist.

How can I bulk and shred at the same time?
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
How can I bulk and shred at the same time?

As a beginner, your body will be able to create neural adaptations so quickly that you're able to recover from your workouts much faster than an elite lifter. This is why frequency is key to someone new to lifting and acquiring "noob gains". Veteran lifters envy the time they use to be able to lift their 1 RM and go on to work out with peak performance the next day.

At this time, if you're eating at a deficit, eating a large amount of protein (more than if you were simply bulking), and giving yourself enough rest - you can lose body fat while gaining muscle mass. This is called recomposition.

Outside of the very beginning phases of lifting, recomposition is next to impossible or at least extremely slow for progress. A good example of people who do this are people who's career depends on staying very very low body fat percentage year round (unlike Bodybuilders):

An Example of Said Athlete

The only way to successfully maintain your muscle mass while losing bad fat is to do it very very slowly. The reason professional bodybuilders can hang onto 270 pounds of muscle at 5% bodyfat is because they take drugs that have anti-catabolic properties, meaning your body preserves your muscle from breaking down.

Hope this helps.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!