Ranking
Original Post
Ferro Fluid

So its cool isnt it. Well ive got a question.
Will it still work as in the video if you use liquid ink because powdered toner is like $50 where I live.
Mei fati dominus, mei animi dux
Need to PM a SMod?

Unofficial Skimmer of Discussion!

Fabula Magnus wants more able RPers!
Cataclysm is still alive?

Thorn

Wiggi must love me forever now.
no. liquid ink would be useless, the reason he used powder toner is because it contains some sort of metal (most likely iron). ferro stands for ferrum, the latin word for iron. the whole idea behind ferrofluid is that it contains that iron and is therefore able to be magnetized. the little spikes are actually where the magnetic fields pop out of the liquid. good vid though, other places ive seen ferro fluid need iron shavings and kerosene lol
Haha I remember seeing this about a week or so ago on youtube. I was like "I SO GOTTA TRY THIS!"

What happens if you drop a magnet into the ferro fluid:

Last edited by JesseD; Mar 5, 2010 at 01:19 AM.
what he used was MICR toner, but how the hell did he even get his hands on that shit? someone answer because i got vegetable oil but no toner.
You should be able to find it at your local business supply store. Somewhere like staples. It pretty much HAS TO BE an MICR toner. Without iron in it, it wouldn't be a magnetic fluid. So it wouldn't make the spikes. Or anything else in the video.

I watched those videos a while ago, and I really want to talk about it in chemistry because it's a pretty weird solution and can be fun to mess around with. But whatever.