Toribash
Original Post
Unexpected Shutdown
ok, so last night the weirdest thing happened. i was sitting in bed, (my bed is next to my comp) the only light in the room was coming from my computers red background. all of a sudden the emitting light turned blue. i sat up and looked at the computer screen, i only got a split second to look at what had happened. it looked very similar to the blue screen of death, solid blue background with white lettering. i didnt get a chance to see what it said because it went black for a second and then the computer restarted.

i have:
windows vista
up-time was probably about 50 hours (this cant be the reason, its been up for 300+ hours before)
it wasnt a virus, i have a really good antivirus. (norton 360)

so im pretty confused, anyone know what happened?
The blue screen possibly means some failing system hardware. You might want to check your hard drive. Any new hardware could be installed incorrectly, too. My friend had this a few weeks ago after installing new hardware, a simple reboot had him up and running again.

But it's just a possibility.
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
Originally Posted by Hucota7 View Post
ok, so last night the weirdest thing happened. i was sitting in bed, (my bed is next to my comp) the only light in the room was coming from my computers red background. all of a sudden the emitting light turned blue. i sat up and looked at the computer screen, i only got a split second to look at what had happened. it looked very similar to the blue screen of death, solid blue background with white lettering. i didnt get a chance to see what it said because it went black for a second and then the computer restarted.

i have:
windows vista
up-time was probably about 50 hours (this cant be the reason, its been up for 300+ hours before)
it wasnt a virus, i have a really good antivirus. (norton 360)

so im pretty confused, anyone know what happened?

Lol'd at bold bit

But yea, sounds just like the BSOD to me, most likely event was that a hdd, diskdrive, usb pen drive, mouse, keyboard etc. had a hardware failure. Did you install the drivers for anything new recently?

It shouldnt be affected too far, just keep using it as normal, and see what happens, post here if it BSOD's again
Norton is not even a decent anti virus, let alone a great one.
:D
It was good, but since so many people think that, virus-makers make viruses specifically for Norton.
[23:23:53] <AndChat|700625> Blue eyes ultimate dragon best card
[23:24:29] <AndChat|700625> You know the one with 3 heads
[23:24:39] <~Lightningkid> just like my dick

[11:35:40] <box> Hampa suck
[11:36:21] <hampa> not the first to tell me that today
i havent get anything new recently. and for the record ive never had a virus with norton, so either theres really crappy viruses or norton is good. :U
and i thought the blue screen of death only happens with xp and earlier, and it usually says press enter to continue or whatever.
thanks for postin, if anything else goes screwy ill say so.
BSODS happen with any operating system of any kind. BSODS are actually good for your computer. It crashed to prevent serious damage to your computer, so you should be grateful for them.

Also: Possibly a SATA cable is becoming loose/unplugged?
"Can't see California with Marlon Brando's eyes"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"She isn't real.... Can't make her real"
Originally Posted by fistfury View Post
BSODS happen with any operating system of any kind. BSODS are actually good for your computer. It crashed to prevent serious damage to your computer, so you should be grateful for them.

Also: Possibly a SATA cable is becoming loose/unplugged?

lol.. Not true. BSOD's happen in windows only.
Most of the time they prevent nothing more than your normal access to the system. Instead of deactivating a faulty driver (for example), windows gives a blue screen instead, that will prevent you from using your PC... Which is lame.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Well, I should have stated that mac osx has kernal panics but they're just likes bsods, no?

And, I've never actually gone through the experience. Only BSODS i've ever had were from a batch bomb, and playing crysis at max settings.

I'll take your word for it of course though, I haven't much experience with technical issues.
"Can't see California with Marlon Brando's eyes"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"She isn't real.... Can't make her real"
just like everyone else said about the hardware being the issue. but i believe it could have to do with the heat of the pc when it's been running for so long.

when was the last time you cleaned out your computer? if it's been a really long time that could be the reason why.

take the side panel off of your case then look at your processor heat sync and your video card. if you have an air compressor that would be the easiest way to take care of the buildup but if not you're going to have to take the dust and dirt out by hand
You don't say?