Toribash
Original Post
Unmountable Boot Volume
well, I'm not really sure what happened, today I opened my laptop and got the unmountable boot volume bsod. Tried opening safe mode and everything, it only shows blank screen with a cursor.

I've read some stuff on how to fix this, which is checkdisk /r or something. But how on earth I do that, I can't even get this thing to work.

Help is really appreciated :c
:D
Hello, you're dealing with the blue screen of death. In other words it's a problem with the hard drive.
Assuming you have windows, it is easiest to fix it if you have windows installation CD or USB. If you do, when you mount the CD/USB on your laptop you should find a button saying something between the lines of "Repair your computer", you just click that and that should fix the problem.
If you don't have a Windows CD/USB, you need to download repair software on other PC, put it on your CD/USB and mount it on your laptop.
I'm afraid there are no other ways if you get the blank screen even on safe mode. You might find other ways on the internet, but the repair software is easiest solution.
Also if you're trying to fix it yourself be very careful and do everything by the instructions, as few wrong moves may corrupt your data or ruin your hard drive completely.
I hope that was helpful, if you need any more help just let me know
As Smaguris said, it's an HDD error. Reinstall Windows and if that doesn't help, buy a new HDD (2,5").
Got any problems or questions about computers or any other tech?Feel free to PM me any time. Lmod for Computer/Mobile Chat
Originally Posted by Smaguris View Post
Hello, you're dealing with the blue screen of death. In other words it's a problem with the hard drive.
Assuming you have windows, it is easiest to fix it if you have windows installation CD or USB. If you do, when you mount the CD/USB on your laptop you should find a button saying something between the lines of "Repair your computer", you just click that and that should fix the problem.
If you don't have a Windows CD/USB, you need to download repair software on other PC, put it on your CD/USB and mount it on your laptop.
I'm afraid there are no other ways if you get the blank screen even on safe mode. You might find other ways on the internet, but the repair software is easiest solution.
Also if you're trying to fix it yourself be very careful and do everything by the instructions, as few wrong moves may corrupt your data or ruin your hard drive completely.
I hope that was helpful, if you need any more help just let me know

Uh, yeah no.

It's not a BSOD, and a BSOD is most often caused by driver issues or RAM issues.

If you are not reaching the OS, then try adjusting your BIOS settings by hitting F9 or F12 and adjusting your boot order so your HDD is first. If nothing happens, your hard drive is fucked.
Won't reinstalling his OS cause him to lose all his data though?
| Leader of FC | Loans | ABD Enthusiast |
used an USB to repair, like Smaguris said, got the same black screen with a blinking cursor.
I guess the hdd is fucked
:D
Originally Posted by Trocher3 View Post
got the unmountable boot volume bsod.

Originally Posted by Kyure View Post
It's not a BSOD

Hmm??
Care to explain what is it then? Cause it seems like it is
Last edited by Smaguris; Dec 25, 2015 at 04:38 PM.