Toribash
Original Post
Graphic Card
Can someone please explain graphic cards to me because I really want shaders so. Here are my questions

1.What type do I need
2. How do I get it inside my netbook?
3.How much are they
4. Would a really good one mess up my laptop because it may not support it
I like doing art and stuff| GATA |... My Deviant Art Http://Riqochaii.Deviantart.com/
1. What are your other components, especially motherboard. It has to be compatible and such.
2. Depending on your netbook, it might also not be possible at all, if the card you currently have is integrated and it has no extra space.
3. Graphic cards are the single most expensive components on a computer, but I cannot say a price, it depends on so many things.
4. Only in case you force it on wrong slots or use wrong drivers.

Then again you might not even have a processor and/or enough RAM.
My advice would be to simply get a desktop. Much easier and probably cheaper.
Clan Blood Leader
Originally Posted by Hopea View Post
1. What are your other components, especially motherboard. It has to be compatible and such.
2. Depending on your netbook, it might also not be possible at all, if the card you currently have is integrated and it has no extra space.
3. Graphic cards are the single most expensive components on a computer, but I cannot say a price, it depends on so many things.
4. Only in case you force it on wrong slots or use wrong drivers.

Then again you might not even have a processor and/or enough RAM.
My advice would be to simply get a desktop. Much easier and probably cheaper.

1 - Netbooks can't change CPU nor GPU. Even "desktop" computer versions equipped with Intel Atom are know to have it soldered into the motherboard.

2 - No netbook that I know of will allow the GPU to be changed. Even the vast majority of the bigger laptops can't do that. Only those custom laptops that use MXM modules for the GPU, such as the brands CLEVO, COMPAL and some others.

3 - yep

4 - Not a good idea... lol and even if it fits somewhere, it won't work at all. Its all soldered.

Sorry but you have no alternative other than getting another computer. A desktop would be cheaper and will give you better performance per $.... For a very small number of netbooks and laptops (such as the acer ferrari netbook) the only solution would be getting an external Graphics card unit called XPG... The problem is that its only supported by netbooks/laptops that have a special port made for XPG.

Read more about it: http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2009/09/2...graphics-unit/

Last edited by GenkiSudo; Feb 28, 2010 at 09:18 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Oh ok, since Genki already posted that means this problem is solved. Lock.
And thank you for the lesson in laptop/netbook hardware, I've always figured it would be difficult to change even in the best case but apparently it isn't at all.
Clan Blood Leader