Toribash
Original Post
Free MKV Converter
It's for my iPod. The MKV could be converted to anything common like AVI or somethin cos I have a nice iPod converter, but it's preferable if it could convert MKV directly to iPod (iPod uses a specific type of MP4, I'm stupid so not sure).

Been searching for a while now, most of the ones I tried are utter bullshit.

I'd continue searching but I gtg sleep now, and I got school tomorrow, so I'm just hoping for some decent finds when I get back from school tomorrow.
try this maybe
Important:
Each time the tutorial has been updated, you should download the "additional files" again to be able to use the most recent version of the tutorial to it's full potential.

0: Preparations.
Now in order to be able to use this guide you will need to download some software.
MeGUI (IMPORTANT: read and follow the instructions)
Mkvtoolnix
AviSynth
Additional Files

In order to install "Huffyuv" right click the "Huffyuv.ini" file and click "Install".
If you're using a 64 Bit OS or has a CPU with multiple cores, get this version of Huffyuv instead.
Download Link

1: Source Files.
Render the video and audio separate from each other, render the audio as a .mp3 or the format of your liking.

Then the video as a lossless, uncompressed .avi using the Huffyuv codec.
As a hint if you're having problems with getting the encode to start or troubles locating your encoded video,
place the files as close to the root of the hard drive as possible.
I have a folder on the root of the drive i use to render and encode on called "Encode" which has never failed.

2: AviSynth Script.
Open Notepad and copy this in:
Code:
DirectShowSource("CEncode\filename.avi")
spline64resize(1280,720)
Converttoyv12()

- Fill in the correct resolution.
- Fill in the correct location and filename for the lossless ".avi" you just rendered.

Press Ctrl+S and save it as a "filename.avs" file.

3: MeGUI.
Before you open MeGUI, move the "x264_dp_ Optimized x264 Settings.xml" file i included into the "MeGUI\allprofiles\x264" folder.
Now open MeGUI and open your AviSynth Script, a preview should show up but you can close this.
Select the "MKV" as output format and "x264" as codec.
Click the "Config" button and check then the "Advanced Options" setting and, then select the "Optimized x264 settings" profile i included at the beginning of the tutorial.
Now type in the bitrate you want to give your video, use the chart below to decide what should be sufficient.
Code:
1920x1200= ~ 12000mbps
1680x1050= ~ 10000mbps
1280x720= ~ 6500mbps
960x600= ~ 4500mbps
800x600= ~ 3500mbps
640x480= ~ 3000mbps

Then go to the second tab called "RC and ME" set the number of reference frames
Use the chart below to see how many you should use.
Code:
1920x1200 or less: 3
1920x1080 or less: 4
1280x720 or les: 9

Click ok on the bottom of the screen and then "Enqueue", you will now be taken to the queue and you can start encoding your video.
Close MeGUI when it's done.

4: Muxing.
Once your video is encoded and your .mkv is ready, open mkvtoolnix up.
Import the video and then the audio, as a rule of thumb you should always import the .mkv first.
Give it a new filename and click "Start Muxing" and close Mkvtoolnix when it's done.
That's it, enjoy your new video with the best possible quality.

Change-Log:
Improvements:
- MeGUI has been updated to a patched version where the updates works again.
- The number of B-Frames has been lowered to support computers low on RAM.

Improvements:
- Advanced version removed as it is now redundant.
- Improved a couple of settings and removed the CQM which does not have much effect anymore.

Improvements:
- Both versions has been updated to utilize and be compatible with the most recent x264 updates.

Improvements:
- AviSynth 2.5.8RC4 has been released and a link for it has been added to both versions.
- "--subme 7" for better and more precise motion estimation instead of a unnecessary prepass.
- New B-Frame decision mode added for the advanced version.

Improvements:
- AviSynth 2.5.8RC1 has been released and a link for it has been added to both versions.
- ColorMatrix is out as it's not really necessary.
- Avisource is replaced with DirectShowSource which is a lot more forgiving.

Advanced gets even more advanced:
- Added a Huffyuv patch that fixes a old bug so the last frames doesn't get left out and a link to new and better x264 builds that has a lot of great patches.

PS3, XBOX 360 and so on...:
- Instead of using a unrestricted level, the h.264 level is now set to 4.1 meaning you should be able to stream them to a PS3, XBOX 360, Popcorn Hour or anything like that.

Advanced version added:
- There is now an advanced version for those who wants slightly better quality and perhaps learn a little more at the same time.

MeGUI back, several filters gone, command line gone:
- The tutorial is easier to use than ever before with a very minor loss quality-wise most people won't notice.

MeGUI Gone:
- Since MeGUI doesn't let you pick rate factor instead, i've removed it for now.

CRF18:
- CRF18 (Constant Rate Factor 1 replaces the part where you have to select a bitrate.

ColorMatrix added for:
- To prevent color loss when converting from RGB to YV12.

Command Line Encoding added for:
- It uses a x264.exe version that lets you add the "aqstrength" options which should prevent blocking in dark areas.
- For those who got stability problems with MeGUI.

Soothe added for:
- Lower bitrate requirements.
- More steady appearance.
- Smoother motion compared to plain-sharpening, since motion-blurred edges will be less sharpened.
- Less artifacts in moving areas.
- LimitedSharpenFasterMOD can run faster, since one can get away with less supersampling.

AviSynth 2.5.8 added for:
- The new Spline64 is sharper and has less ringing than spline36.

RemoveGrain options added for:
- The different versions are made for CPUs with different SSE versions which will lower the time the encode takes.

MaskTools 2.0.30.0 updated to 2.0.a32.0:
- More precise and efficient sharpening.

Originally Posted by DeeJayy741 View Post
It's for my iPod. The MKV could be converted to anything common like AVI or somethin cos I have a nice iPod converter, but it's preferable if it could convert MKV directly to iPod (iPod uses a specific type of MP4, I'm stupid so not sure).

Been searching for a while now, most of the ones I tried are utter bullshit.

I'd continue searching but I gtg sleep now, and I got school tomorrow, so I'm just hoping for some decent finds when I get back from school tomorrow.

GOTSent is a 100% freeware to convert .MKV (Matroska) video files