Toribash
Original Post
What's wrong with Toribash
hello, i'm dalir. i've been here forever. i'm really important (i used to be a super moderator, you see). i stopped moderating this community because it got really boring. people looking for reasons to infract people, threads being closed on the basis of "this will be a shit thread", threads being closed because of how funny they are (http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?p=7026131), and moderators deleting their own posts and others when they feel embarrassed. i got a friend of mine to actually try toribash (wow) but his new account was permabanned from online play for calling me a "real baton n*****". sure, the word is offensive, but i AM a real baton n*****. this is not a way to bring potential customers into a business. now, i'm not saying you shouldn't respect your moderators and admins and the rules and all, but everyone should ease up a little bit.

moderators tread a fine line between being too easygoing and too strict, and with the lack of activity in General Discussion i'm seeing it has evidently gone way too strict. the question is, do you want semi-shitty threads that could turn into valuable discussions about religion and guns, or do you want no posts at all? overall i guess the modteam are doing a nice job overall, since the community hasn't collectively commited suicide yet, but why is infracting/banning/closing more important than fun in a community belonging to a game?

also i'm not talking about the kind of "HUEHUE XD BROFIST"-fun, people like that should be executed by firesquad, but threads like the one by TheGod. they provide humor and fun for the entire family.

discuss.

EDIT: TheGods thread is not humor. it is a new mod that will revolutionize esports. i made the trailer.
Last edited by dalir; Jan 12, 2014 at 08:03 PM.
|11:33| »» [shark] so you're saying that you just paid 80 euros for pussy
|11:33| »» [Quit] [x] shark [pee@NUP-6C9C98D4.elisa-laajakaista.fi] [Quit:]
I do agree on the fact that some moderators are way too strict. IF I decide to create a thread in general discussion, I first need to think for some time because I know the chance is pretty big that a thread will get closed. I'd prefer the semi-shitty threads, because off-topic just makes me yawn at the moment.
The thing is, many people still don't know what a discussion is. I regularly see users hurling insults at each other to either get their points across, or to create some kind of argument, which will inevitably close the thread.
I agree that sometimes moderators get it wrong, but most of the time they have no choice.
Last edited by MintCat; Jan 13, 2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: the same paragraph came up twice, for some reason
mods are strict because users are dumb.
rules are either too defined because there are people who ruin shit for the rest of the community.
or not defined enough so that the mods have room to moderate "as they see fit".

shitty threads and posts by shitty users should be closed/deleted/shamed.
off topic is stale, threads that have a tolerable amount of shit, are generally left alone.
blame shitty users, when tolerable threads are reduced to "huehuehue XD brofist"

But you know this from experience, although it has been a long time since you were Smod.
I always found that dealing with the market, ruined my tolerance for dealing with discussion/offtopic threads.

there are always bans that seem too excessive, like the perma ban on your friend, shouldnt have been permanent, 1-5 days would have done the job, if that, new users need warnings, only repeat offenders/people who should know better need bans.
there should be a one day mute function type infraction ingame for when people are too offensive, users dont get any Qi and cant chat, but can still play or something.
would cut down the number of bans a tonne.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
yeah, i also want to clarify again that i don't think the admin team is doing a bad job. this is a big community to manage, with many aspects of it that are driven by the community (market/events/creation), and holding all that together is a nightmare. i don't have any concise answers for how to get a board to be more active without increasing the output of shit. i was an extremely cynical smod. everyone and everything was shit, every thread that wasn't shit would turn to shit, and i was probably right many times. what spurred me to write this post is the fact that humor and entertainment should always be prioritized, at least in some sections. i went to the market board like once, so i don't at all know how that one works.

the thing is, if i had seen a whitebelt use the big n-word, i would've probably banned him too - because it IS against the rules, and it definitely should be. but when i left this community and started being active in others, it dawned on me how strict it can be here. i'm not convinced one way or the other, which is why i made a thread about it. not looking for a riot, just some input on what other people feel the correct way to manage a community this big and dynamic is. maybe order is the only thing keeping it together.

i guess the biggest problem will always be the users. how do you cater to 10-15 year olds without conforming to their demands and preferences, because trust me, i'm looking for a way to increase activity but not if it's wibbles-style shitspewing.

also, on the topic of General Discussion - did you guys prefer to have it split in 3 (Debate/GD/Off-Topic) or as it is now? because i do feel that there should be some middleground between OT and neo-debate GD.

Originally Posted by Dilara View Post
I do agree on the fact that some moderators are way too strict. IF I decide to create a thread in general discussion, I first need to think for some time because I know the chance is pretty big that a thread will get closed. I'd prefer the semi-shitty threads, because off-topic just makes me yawn at the moment.

that's not necessarily a bad thing though. people should always think before they post (something that i apparently don't adhere to myself), but i imagine being 13 again, english isn't my first language and there are 500 boards. you see "General Discussion", and you assume that it is for general discussion. little did you know that your thread will soon turn into a religious debate, and you'll be infracted for inciting the masses after posting a picture of your cat. it's too bad that the debate-board was misused, and it's too bad that a section is filling it's purpose in a not-really-way.
Last edited by dalir; Jan 13, 2014 at 02:01 AM.
Originally Posted by dalir View Post

i guess the biggest problem will always be the users. how do you cater to 10-15 year olds without conforming to their demands and preferences, because trust me, i'm looking for a way to increase activity but not if it's wibbles-style shitspewing.

also, on the topic of General Discussion - did you guys prefer to have it split in 3 (Debate/GD/Off-Topic) or as it is now? because i do feel that there should be some middleground between OT and neo-debate GD.

that's not necessarily a bad thing though. people should always think before they post (something that i apparently don't adhere to myself), but i imagine being 13 again, english isn't my first language and there are 500 boards. you see "General Discussion", and you assume that it is for general discussion. little did you know that your thread will soon turn into a religious debate, and you'll be infracted for inciting the masses after posting a picture of your cat. it's too bad that the debate-board was misused, and it's too bad that a section is filling it's purpose in a not-really-way.

The rules are there for the new users to read. Moderators shouldn't have to cater them.
-
Did splitting it into 3 work well? To me, it sounds too confusing; I can see threads going in all the wrong places...
-
That's a good way of looking at it. I think that threads should just get moved into the correct place, instead of the user getting infracted. If all moderators did that then the new user would soon get the general idea of it all, instead of looking for revenge, etc.
Originally Posted by MintCat View Post
The rules are there for the new users to read. Moderators shouldn't have to cater them.
-
Did splitting it into 3 work well? To me, it sounds too confusing; I can see threads going in all the wrong places...
-
That's a good way of looking at it. I think that threads should just get moved into the correct place, instead of the user getting infracted. If all moderators did that then the new user would soon get the general idea of it all, instead of looking for revenge, etc.

no, that is true, but i'm assuming that all users are idiots and need to learn in a better way. but there is a warning system in place, and i'm pretty sure current mods are using it right.
-
i think we had Debate/GD (serving the purpose of off-topic) and Off-topic serving the purpose of rapid threads, or something like that. i can't actually remember.
-
yeah, i forgot about the warning system. it's usually much better than infracting imo, unless you start seeing repeat offenders.

also, TheGod was just banned for a month for trying to breathe life into Toribash esports. rip.
Originally Posted by MintCat View Post
I think that threads should just get moved into the correct place, instead of the user getting infracted. If all moderators did that then the new user would soon get the general idea of it all, instead of looking for revenge, etc.

50% of the time they do get moved instead of being closed
unless it belongs in a specific clan board, in which case, cba to find the exact board in that list.
or unless it would get closed even if it were in the board it belongs in.
no use in moving a thread to its correct place if the user hasnt read the market/art board/whatever board rules.

i don't have any concise answers for how to get a board to be more active without increasing the output of shit.

i'm looking for a way to increase activity but not if it's wibbles-style shitspewing.

the general answer would be to get involved with events and stuff, but the community response towards events is just not the same as it used to be.
thinking on this ishi art contest, had it been made 3 years ago, the quality of art would have been fantastic, with people actualy putting an effort in, now though, its full of MS paint "huehuehushi banhammer es shovel es legal"

the quality of users and the amount of effort people put into this community, has dropped from Photoshop to MS paint/meme level.
its down to the users and community interaction to increase the activity and quality of posting on the forums.

i guess the biggest problem will always be the users. how do you cater to 10-15 year olds without conforming to their demands and preferences

you cant, not when the youngest person in the Smod+ range is like 21.
Even the GMs are mostly 18 years+ now.

it was like that initially, off topic was introduced to reduce the number of shit posts in Discussion / GD, but the introduction of Off Topic, killed the GD board. having a middle ground option, was nice in theory, but didnt work in practise.
Discussion is a debate board because Boredpayne and Gorman think that every discussion has to have a winner.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
I seriously think we need a board where we can post all the fun shit, but it shouldn't end like wibbles did. More like, quality stuff stays dumb shit gets deleted

rip best thread