Toribash
Original Post
new laptop, need help
Im getting a new laptop and need to move the old hd data onto the new, is there a free way to do so, including programs etc? current is windows xp new is win7

as long as you can connect both of them to a network you can make a folder on your new laptop into a shared folder that you can then send files to from your old laptop.

google "file and folder sharing" if you need any more help just ask here and i can give you a detailed step by step on how to do it.
You don't say?
ok i gotcha

to do THAT you need to copy the installation folders from program files or wherever they're installed but you're also going to need to go to the registry with regedit and go to hkey_local_machine/software

you need to find the program maker in the list that shows up like for a game such as crysis you would go into hkey_local_machine/software/ea/crytek/crysis but what you want to do is right click on the ea folder and select export and save as "crysis.reg" that way you know how to identify it after transferring it over to your other computer

once transferred run it and select ok on the popup.

as long as you placed the actual installation folder in the same place it was installed on your old laptop it should work fine

one thing you have to remember though is some programs require "helper" programs in order to run properly so you're either going to have to transfer those the same way or reinstall them.

directx is a common one you will have to install just as physx or another helper program like games for windows live

most programs will work just fine using that method though
You don't say?
You can't transfer programs from Windows XP to Windows 7. You need to reinstall them on your new computer.
I would NEVER do what organ is recommending, just reinstall the programs and transfer your data that is used by these programs.
Last edited by Jebus; Jan 29, 2011 at 01:56 AM.
If you transfer the raw files, it won't work nicely, due to the fact that you need the installation image in the computer's Registry. For data, just either connect them to a network and copy/paste, or use a file transfer cable (if you have a Mac, well... I'm sure it's self explanatory).
Proud Member of
[C3][Anime United]
Originally Posted by jebus903 View Post
You can't transfer programs from Windows XP to Windows 7. You need to reinstall them on your new computer.
I would NEVER do what organ is recommending, just reinstall the programs and transfer your data that is used by these programs.

yes you can do that and just because YOU would "NEVER" do it doesn't mean it does NOT work

falsely claiming that you can't do so just means you don't know what you're talking about.

you do not need to reinstall them and there is NO problem with transferring them over with the correct registry files

you will not mess your computer up in any way and i would know from first hand experience as i've done this just recently with almost all of the games i own and several other programs.

not only have it done this on my own computers but i have done this with other peoples computers as well.
done right and it works just as reinstalling the programs but without taking nearly as long.

Originally Posted by LastGod View Post
If you transfer the raw files, it won't work nicely, due to the fact that you need the installation image in the computer's Registry. For data, just either connect them to a network and copy/paste, or use a file transfer cable (if you have a Mac, well... I'm sure it's self explanatory).

as you have said that is what i just explained how to do in my last post.
Last edited by Organ; Jan 29, 2011 at 03:02 AM.
You don't say?
Clone the harddrive then do an upgrade install!!!!!!!

Organs way will work but it will be a pain in the ass and has such a high chance of fucking up, like you wouldn't believe.
Last edited by Gorman; Jan 29, 2011 at 03:50 AM.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
yea i agree with cloning the drive but that would require installing all new drivers for his laptop
You don't say?