Toribash
Population of my current fortress, The Tower of Oranges. I'll put up some screenshots of the fort itself eventually.

Originally Posted by 4zb41 View Post
Ugh, sometimes I wish dwarves would stop migrating. I have a total of 90ish dwarves now, and 27-40 are always idling. I'm trying to think of something for them to do, but am sorta lost for ideas

What I like to do is turn off hauling on all my "important" dwarves (masons, smiths, miners, etc.) and turn the "unimportant" (nonmilitary, no useful labors) dwarves into a corps of haulers. If you're using DwarfTherapist (and you should be, if you value your sanity), you can set up custom professions so it's a lot faster to assign.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Im going to make a new fortress in a new plain area
and next time Im going to remove too many fishermen if the come -_-
and stop hunting any now and then
the food stockpile is overflooded
and Im sure this is enough food to Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time :P

Screenshot

I wish you could have fat dwarves and slim dwarves that ate different amounts, I'd host a Food Eating Competition and winner gets a refurbished bedroom for themselves xD
Well, the dwarves do get fat depending on how much they eat and a couple of other factors iirc. You can check in their status menu -> description.
e.g. Urist McFatty is adorned with great hanging sacks of fat.

I'm also looking forward to adventuring on the same world as my fortress once it eventually collapses, as I've got a few artifact armor pieces lying around, as well as a good stockpile of bronze and steel weapons.

@KillTheCook my fortress is also being overrun by fisherdwarves and food... but it's not that bad because the dwarven caravans keep demanding fish in barrels and pay a high price for them. The only problem I have is that the fish keeps taking up my barrels and my dwarves sometimes don't have enough to brew their alcohol in, which is a very serious issue. I'm considering using half of my fisherdwarves as a suicide squad once the first megabeast shows up.

EDIT:
One of my speardwarves has mysteriously begun to hoard low quality crowns in his quarters. Not quite sure what to make of that. Also, cave fungi are starting to give my fortress some nice colour.

pic

EDIT2:
Recently had two dwarves fall victim to a vampire (thankfully they were useless children). Two dwarves were accused, and I looked into both. I decided the one with the ridiculously long relationships list was the vampire, and made him pull my customised "suicide lever" (a lever connected to a support holding up a piece of land with a bolder on it). He wasn't in the correct position to be instantly pulverised, but he had both his legs and one of his hands broken beyond repair and I am now filling in the pit he's in with water to finish the job.
Also, turns out the vampire was the husband of the dwarf collecting all those crowns earlier.
Current population = 209
Last edited by 4zb41; Apr 15, 2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Not triple posting
Well, if the vampire doesn't manage to regenerate (they don't breathe by the way), you could potentially have them die from an infection. I know i had one vampire hammered 100 times in the most literal sense. He came out a permanent cripple (and ecstatic because he was free), with his spine broken in multiple places, and every single limb broken beyond repair. Several months later, he died in his bed, completely immobile and unable to breathe. This is where i found out that vampires don't breathe, because ever since the hammering, he was unable to do ANYTHING. That includes breathing.
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
I have a quick question: how many weapons or armor can a rack contain? I always put 10 of each in my training room to be sure, but I'd like to economise on that part if possible.

Also, does the quality/value of training rooms influence the quality of the training? Until now, I've always made training rooms with smooth walls, a floor and statues everywhere.

Another one, is dual wielding possible? What about wearing chainmail under platemail? I've read that one in the Boatmurder article but I'm not sure if it would actually work.

Also, does building a 3 z-layer wall with fortifications on top for your archers to shoot enemies from above from really benefit?
Recommended uses for vampires:

Immortal accountant!
Lock one in a room with a table and a chair, and make them do your managing and bookkeeping.

Immortal watchtower!
Lock one out in the wilderness in a glass box, and make them be your early warning system for ambushes and sieges!

Originally Posted by Arglax View Post
I have a quick question: how many weapons or armor can a rack contain? I always put 10 of each in my training room to be sure, but I'd like to economise on that part if possible.

I've been putting 10 of each as well.

Also, does the quality/value of training rooms influence the quality of the training? Until now, I've always made training rooms with smooth walls, a floor and statues everywhere.

I doubt it influences the quality of the training, though it probably keeps the dwarves happier and increases the value of your fortress, both of which are good.

Another one, is dual wielding possible? What about wearing chainmail under platemail? I've read that one in the Boatmurder article but I'm not sure if it would actually work.

Not sure how effective dual wielding in fortress mode would be, but they definitely do wear chain shirts under breastplates.

Also, does building a 3 z-layer wall with fortifications on top for your archers to shoot enemies from above from really benefit?

As in, a tower? Yeah, those are definitely useful for keeping your marksdwarves away from melee opponents. I'd recommend getting them the hell out of the tower if goblin crossbowmen (elite or otherwise) show up, though - they can shoot right back.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Ah, ok. I thought only elite goblin archers could shoot through fortifications, though.
-----
Originally Posted by 4zb41 View Post
Well, the dwarves do get fat depending on how much they eat and a couple of other factors iirc. You can check in their status menu -> description.
e.g. Urist McFatty is adorned with great hanging sacks of fat.

I'm also looking forward to adventuring on the same world as my fortress once it eventually collapses, as I've got a few artifact armor pieces lying around, as well as a good stockpile of bronze and steel weapons.

@KillTheCook my fortress is also being overrun by fisherdwarves and food... but it's not that bad because the dwarven caravans keep demanding fish in barrels and pay a high price for them. The only problem I have is that the fish keeps taking up my barrels and my dwarves sometimes don't have enough to brew their alcohol in, which is a very serious issue. I'm considering using half of my fisherdwarves as a suicide squad once the first megabeast shows up.

EDIT:
One of my speardwarves has mysteriously begun to hoard low quality crowns in his quarters. Not quite sure what to make of that. Also, cave fungi are starting to give my fortress some nice colour.

pic

EDIT2:
Recently had two dwarves fall victim to a vampire (thankfully they were useless children). Two dwarves were accused, and I looked into both. I decided the one with the ridiculously long relationships list was the vampire, and made him pull my customised "suicide lever" (a lever connected to a support holding up a piece of land with a bolder on it). He wasn't in the correct position to be instantly pulverised, but he had both his legs and one of his hands broken beyond repair and I am now filling in the pit he's in with water to finish the job.
Also, turns out the vampire was the husband of the dwarf collecting all those crowns earlier.
Current population = 209

What's up with the small rooms? I always make my rooms 10x10 or 10x20 for stockpiles.
Last edited by Arglax; Apr 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
What's up with the small rooms? I always make my rooms 10x10 or 10x20 for stockpiles.

Those are bedrooms, one for each dwarf dude. All the important stuff is on other z-levels.
Each room has 1 bed, 1 table, 1 chair and 1 cabinet. Helps a lot when it comes to keeping dwarves happy.
"Urist McGrouch admired own very fine bed/table/cabinet/chair recently. He slept in own good room recently."

Also, my dwarves have sort of started a witch-hunt style hunt for vampires, which is unfortunate. Turns out I had more than one lurking around the fortress.
From what I've read, goblin crossbowmen have a change to shoot through fortifications. Guess that changed...

@4zb41:
Try an entire town full of vampires in adventurer mode. The lone swordsman, bane of four Forgotten Beasts, took care of them, at least. Brutally. One vampire's head was flying far. Another collided with a house and exploded. A third collided with another vampire and did heavy damage. Looks like my world is a "cursed world." Next fortress: "Cursed," I guess.
Preparing to fight some ninja squirrels...