Toribash
Just read the little review of the guy who bought the game early on reddit.

It's not too bad, but its kinda destroying everyones hype. I was prepared for this to happen though.
You could say the same about sand though. There's ~7 quintillion grains of sand on the surface of the planet to be discovered, geologists even say they don't know what's all out there.

Point being, 7 quintillion grains of sand, but how many are going to be so close to identical that it's not even worth mentioning? Same with planets. You could procedurally generate 100 planets, then just copy pasta them into 17 quintillion planets, and you still wouldn't know what's all out there.

Large scope of content doesn't equate large depth of content. I find it hard to assume, or even expect, that even the vast majority of the 17 quintillion planets will be worth exploring in relation to each other.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
You could say the same about sand though. There's ~7 quintillion grains of sand on the surface of the planet to be discovered, geologists even say they don't know what's all out there.

Point being, 7 quintillion grains of sand, but how many are going to be so close to identical that it's not even worth mentioning? Same with planets. You could procedurally generate 100 planets, then just copy pasta them into 17 quintillion planets, and you still wouldn't know what's all out there.

Large scope of content doesn't equate large depth of content. I find it hard to assume, or even expect, that even the vast majority of the 17 quintillion planets will be worth exploring in relation to each other.

But we don't quite know HOW diverse the planets will be, right? The gameplay leak is only like 30 minutes long, right? I'm sure there are a lot of things we don't know, and are meant to find ourselves. I'm glad the trailers so far have been pretty vague, in a game about discovery you don't want to show everything
FIRED UP
Im a little disappointed of all the ignorance in the thread trying to bash the game in some way. It's sad, really.

Let the happy ignorant people like me wait for the game to come out so we can judge it first hand and not on cinematic trailers and such.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
If I were trying to bash the game, I'd say the game is a shit game trying to ride the wave of procedural generation to profit several years too late.

What the lot of you fail to realize is you can be interested in a game without resigning to blind optimism. I'm interested in the game because of what it's attempting. What I'm not doing is looking at it with the assumption it will be an amazing game and taking promises at face value.

When they say 14 quintillion planets, I'm not going to say "OMG THAT'S SO MANY PLANETS TO EXPLORE!!one!1!" I'm going to ask, "OK, how many of them will be significantly different enough to justify calling them a different planet?" Because that question takes a statement that could mean 1 planet copy pasta'd 14 quintillion time, or 14 quintillion unique planets, and finds where on that spectrum of answers it lies. Rather than leave that answer up to blind faith in the developer, I'm going to reason out an answer based on what I know. Even if you assume 99.99% of planets are copies of other planets, 0.01% of 14 quintillion is still 1.4 quadrillion planets, or 1.4 * 10 ^ 15 planets. Which is still a massive number. So it begs the question, how have they accomplished creating uniqueness with this level of scale? And it would be a valid question.

Any smart consumer should ask questions about the product they want to buy.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Well, you aren't wrong. That's actually really true and have been worried about the diverse planets in the game. I'm hoping there's a shit ton of things. Which I doubt there is when it comes to species on planets.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
Devs already said they kept diversity to a minimum to make it "realistic". To me this is very disappointing. There is already a huge amount of limitation by using the kind of procedural generation they are (which appears to be basically rng rather than simulating the environment), so locking things down isn't great.

From what we can see and what we have been told by both the devs and people who have played the game I think it's very valid to be concerned about the diversity of the game.

Actually the most variety I've seen is colors, and the floating rocks on some planets (although there is no terrain physics, as of yet, so it looks bad, but it is variety none the less). That and the hopping pineapple. Nice touch that cave plants are different to surface, here's to hoping that is dynamic and not just programmed in to be that way.
I'm just hoping it won't be a repetition of what happened to Spore:

Super ambitious game that caused quite the hype, the end result though was mediocre

But that was EA, so yea
Yeah, that game got nerfed down hard unfortunately. The beta was so damn good.

Still don't get exactly why they ripped it down.