Ranking
Just finished Prometheus Bound. I have to say I'm dissappointed that today's youth think that Twilight and Artemis Fowl are great works of literature. It's really quite sad. They aren't bad... they just aren't good either. Teen books are a joke. Also, recently reread Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow and Hyperspace and Physics of The Impossible, both by Michio Kaku, a physicist. He's also a futurist- I think Odlov might like him. Also, I read A Brief History of Time (Tenth Edition) a few years back when I visited the Harvard bookstore. Excellent, and I found it mildly humorous as well as enlightening.

That is not true. some teenage books today are really good books. for example

skullduggery plesant books are really popular and has a good storyline
Darren shan series were best sellers and had a brillant storyline and charactors in each book.

So not all teenage books are a joke like you are saying only a few are just like some adult books are a joke and just like some kids books are a joke.

And the Twilight series were worldwide best sellers.
A VERY WISE MAN SAID TO ME IF YOU TRY HARD IN LIFE YOU WILL ACHIEVE GREAT THINGS, I LAUGHED AT HIM AND LEFT
You're measuring the quality of literature by popularity and public opinion. Bestseller
=/= good book. For instance, would you fancy Paris Hilton a good actor or an intelligent person? Definitely not. But slap her face on just about any tabloid and you have instant success. The quality of a book is measured by quality of prose and great characters(look up Jimmy Blevins and Judge Holden), as well as critical (not public acclaim). Also, Harold Bloom is God.
[Piratez]
I am neither Oyster nor lsl.
darren shans books have great characters and an amazing plot line. and what you said about paris hilton is totally differnt. you talknig about the news and magazines im talknig about books. that is totally differnt, they are not gonan make a book if paris hilton gets slapped and if they did it would not be popular, you just changed the story completly when you said about the tablod magazines and stuff
A VERY WISE MAN SAID TO ME IF YOU TRY HARD IN LIFE YOU WILL ACHIEVE GREAT THINGS, I LAUGHED AT HIM AND LEFT
Recently? Nothing, exept school books. This is only because I haven't found any interesting books to read, I really don't find most finnish books interesting and the translators seem to have been translating only the worst books recently, something about trying to give all writers a chance or something I bet. I could (and often do) read books in english, but it is pretty hard to get your hands on an english book here in Finland. The local library only has a few (and they also have tranlated versions of them all) and buying an english book will cost almost double the price of a book in finnish (tranlated to finnish or written in finnish, doesn't matter) . And the prices of books are kinda high anyway.
But yea, suggest a book (almost any will do) and I'll try to find and read it.
Clan Blood Leader
"walking with the dead"l.m. falcone

its more of a pre-teen book than a teen book but i guess its pretty good
school is dumb,life stinks,i havent ever understood girls,and if you read this your an asshole
Originally Posted by mark2766 View Post
darren shans books have great characters and an amazing plot line. and what you said about paris hilton is totally differnt. you talknig about the news and magazines im talknig about books. that is totally differnt, they are not gonan make a book if paris hilton gets slapped and if they did it would not be popular, you just changed the story completly when you said about the tablod magazines and stuff

It's all media. Why is it any different?. Also, please learn the rules of grammar and spelling before you start a debate about the quality of modern literature. Give me some objective evidence of Darren Shan's "great characters and amazing plot lines" from legitimate literary critics, and I might take you seriously.
[Piratez]
fine some critcs opinions

Connie Forst, writing in Resource Links, called the novel "detailed and gripping."

A critic for Kirkus Reviews found that Shan's "pace is non-stop, keeping the reader turning pages."

There is plenty more critics telling about how good the books are.

And media is totally differnt to books in any way.

If a famous person tripped over and someone got a picture it would be in the media.
If a famous person tripped over it there would not be a book about it.

Tell me what is same between the media and books
Obviously you don't know how the media works- books ARE media. Media is meant to be entertaining. Books entertain. In the same way that theater and film are vastly seperate in both subject matter and execution, so too are books and magazines. Yet they are all forms of media. Connie Forst is a librarian in Tofield with a degree in Library and Information Studies- hardly a legitimately credentialed critic. Harold Bloom is a professor of humanities at Yale and has a PhD. Also "a critic for Kirkus reviews" tells me nothing. Kirkus, while being a respected organization for critique of literature, has a tendency of pandering to the general public's opinion rather than being objective about it. Again, please learn to spell. Also, weak analogies make for poor debate- my Paris Hilton reference was simply meant to be an analagous example that I thought you would understand, not a conversational point to be used repeatedly.

This man is a legitimate, credentialed critic, so you have an example of what one looks like before you attempt to tell me a librarian in Alberta has a qualified opinion.
[Piratez]
I just read The Kite Runner by Khaled Houssini (that might be misspelled). A really touching and great book. I recommend it.