Toribash
View Poll Results: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
A
0 Votes / 0%
B
0 Votes / 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

Mpk: That was fun to read, and it contained some ideas similar to some ideas that I had for a story, once. Unfortunately, I have very little skill in writing a story, short or otherwise.

Zander: That feature of Google is rather helpful. As long as you can come up with an obscure phrase, you can basically give yourself a "key" to an archive, just in case you have many different account names on different sites that you would not remember, but would want to look back on later.
Assuming that causality loops do exist and that the technology necessary in order to create changes within causality loops also exists, do causality loops have an internal safeguarding mechanism that allows them to retain their original outcome even in the presence of external interference? or are they like putty, malleable and fun to play with, but the results you get every time you toy around with one are different?

I'm sorry if my question was rather vague. My knowledge on theoretical physics has become rusty as of late, especially since what I'm taking in universtiy is no longer about that stuff anymore.

I'm taking pre-law (Legal Management) irl by the way. I dunno, just a little segway about myself. My fledgling knowledge in law might come in handy in the future activities of the clan.

That Google feature is awesome. I didn't expect our avvys and the clan's ground texture to pop up on the screen. Well, I did expect all of those to show up on the screen, since Zan already posted about the result. But it was still refreshingly surprising to some extent.
Last edited by Trick; Apr 20, 2013 at 04:45 AM.
fl0w
Worth reading, but not consistent with what God would say, given the previous references that are available to us.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Originally Posted by Timeenator View Post
Assuming that causality loops do exist and the technology necessary in order to create changes within causality loops also exists, do causality loops have an internal safeguarding mechanism that allows them to retain their original outcome even in the presence of external interference? or are they like putty, malleable and fun to play with, but the results you get every time you toy around with one are different?

In that case, the situation would essentially be the same as travelling between different possible universes in a multiverse, except such technology would also be able to travel along its own universe forwards and backwards. If the causality loop itself can be changed, then it is at that point when the universe branches into several outcomes, some of them forming other loops, and some not. There is no reason why the original causality loop would continue to exist after the branching point in such a scenario, since there is no internal consistency between two alternate branches. I suppose you could argue for a greater loop which spans across the multiple branches, creating a causal loop between that collection of universes, but then that loop would also be malleable.
I'm inclined to agree with hawk. Come to think of it, other than the monotheistic statement, it does not seem consistent with what ANY major religious beliefs. Again, I don't claim to know everything so correct me if I'm wrong.
You’ve been taught all your life that truth is easy to hide. You'll face your judgment another day and suffer eternally.
Originally Posted by de4th
In that case, the situation would essentially be the same as travelling between different possible universes in a multiverse, except such technology would also be able to travel along its own universe forwards and backwards. If the causality loop itself can be changed, then it is at that point when the universe branches into several outcomes, some of them forming other loops, and some not. There is no reason why the original causality loop would continue to exist after the branching point in such a scenario, since there is no internal consistency between two alternate branches. I suppose you could argue for a greater loop which spans across the multiple branches, creating a causal loop between that collection of universes, but then that loop would also be malleable.

Wow. Amazing. In that case malleable causality loops are, in effect, just quasi-avenues for accessing other universes and/or collections of different parallel universes that branched out from a single causality loop. Thank you very much for clearing that up de4th.
fl0w
My main problem with it is the supposed 14 million intelligent species throughout the universe who follow the faith and how insignificant "God" describes us as because there are so many.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
May I join your conversation hawk? That "conversation with God" both intrigued and slightly irritated me a bit.
fl0w
The idea that God ranks these species with Level 1, Level 2, etc gives me an issue with the story. Especially that it would be based upon the form of transit.
You’ve been taught all your life that truth is easy to hide. You'll face your judgment another day and suffer eternally.
I see it as science fiction made to resemble a theological argument, which it is not. The levels of advancement calls to mind the Kardashev scale, and indeed, the transit scale seems to be a parody of it.