Endurance Onslaught 6.0
more cuts, also work on those for moar realizm. a real-er skin texture. blood. eye glow. bigger eyes? gums are wet, wet has pin point lights. bring elements of the body into the face if you need more details and shading. since you aren't doing the set.

idk just things i would poke if i was doing it.

perhaps your reference?
more forehead cuts and stuff and "be better"
gotcha :P

not so sure how to go about a more realistic texture for the skin, struggling enough with using what Ive learnt up to now.
I know how skins supposed to look, and everytime i learn something new it gets closer, but no idea to get the pores right or that natural shine/luminence.
could probably get it with a layerstyle or something to do with the whole levels and curves thing.
should probably start and finish certain aspects befor starting on others so i can test out the possibilities with that properly.

was thinking of adding protrusions/bumps to the back of the head like his spine on the model, but feels like im just grasping for ideas.
will mess around with a few more exposed scars, see what i can do about the blood, another thing im clueless on, that wet finish

also, that reference was one of them, mostly just referred back to his default portrait icon though
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
someone should get jebus to say something about colors and skin because he knows something, and he's not telling us.
Something about colors, eh?

I really just stick to the basics for the most part. Things like using really cool colors such as de-saturated blues, purples, greens in dark places; under the brow, in wrinkles, under the nose and such. The colors you have in wrinkles and under the brow at the moment seem very hot to me. Just doesn't seem natural.
I personally feel that going pretty dark in most of the aforementioned places helps define shapes and make things pop more, but I remember you always said I went a little too far with that stuff ; )
The other end of the color wheel works nice for highlights and you can go much more saturated than what you've got so far. For the natural shine you were talking about.

Pretty sure everyone already knows this stuff but you know...

Not really sure how I'd go about making a realistic skin texture that would look good with that gentle/clean looking style you have going on. You could always take a hint from that reference chillz posted and just paste some sort of canvas texture all over the face ; )

Also ya, I usually don't "cnc" or anything since it makes me feel kind of douchey. But whatever, chillz made me do it!
Last edited by Jebus; May 7, 2014 at 12:08 AM.
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
Something about colors, eh?

I really just stick to the basics for the most part. Things like using really cool colors such as de-saturated blues, purples, greens in dark places; under the brow, in wrinkles, under the nose and such. The colors you have in wrinkles and under the brow at the moment seem very hot to me. Just doesn't seem natural.

haha, i just open up the colour picker untill come onto something that just looks pretty, sorta.
will put a bit more thought into colours.

I personally feel that going pretty dark in most of the aforementioned places helps define shapes and make things pop more, but I remember you always said I went a little too far with that stuff ; )

haha, you used to, but its not as severe as it used to be.
you shade very much in the extremes, your shadows are dark dark, and your highlights are white white.
i fully agree that going dark in the cracks helps define the shapes, its part of the reason i outline and attack the dark parts with a small black brush.

The other end of the color wheel works nice for highlights and you can go much more saturated than what you've got so far. For the natural shine you were talking about.

not so sure what you mean with this part, do you mean highlight with lighter colours?
or do you mean that if youre shadowing in cool tones, you should be highlighting in warm tones?

Not really sure how I'd go about making a realistic skin texture that would look good with that gentle/clean looking style you have going on. You could always take a hint from that reference chillz posted and just paste some sort of canvas texture all over the face ; )

was thinking the same thing, Jusmi does it and he reckons its not cheating.

Also ya, I usually don't "cnc" or anything since it makes me feel kind of douchey. But whatever, chillz made me do it!

CnC is for the stronk.
Never really cared if i came across as douchey or not, if my comments help someone, then mission accomplished.

Thanks for your thoughts bro.
will try work on the colour choices, it sounds like alot more thinking than Im used to though, lol
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
haha, i just open up the colour picker untill come onto something that just looks pretty, sorta.
will put a bit more thought into colours.

Meh, I pretty much do the same. It just sort of becomes a habit to kind of follow the cool/warm dealio I mentioned before. Whatevers fun though, I think.

haha, you used to, but its not as severe as it used to be.
you shade very much in the extremes, your shadows are dark dark, and your highlights are white white.
i fully agree that going dark in the cracks helps define the shapes, its part of the reason i outline and attack the dark parts with a small black brush.

Well, I have been very slowly trying to dial it down a bit. Good to know it's worked to some degree. But I seem to have a thing for thick brows and wrinkles (and lately extravagant facial hair).

not so sure what you mean with this part, do you mean highlight with lighter colours?
or do you mean that if youre shadowing in cool tones, you should be highlighting in warm tones?

Haha, I'm not 100% on what I was trying to say either. I guess what I was trying to say is that since Toribash always has a really bright top light it wouldn't really make a ton of sense to highlight with a cold color. It kind of limits more thematic heads if you care about what it looks like in game but whatcha gonna do.
Anyways, using your current project as an example, you might decide to go with a purpleish green color for shadows, the brown you have now could be your mid and then a yellow-orange would work well for highlights (which you already have) Sort of just work straight through the color wheel, going from one end to the complimentary color on the other.
was thinking the same thing, Jusmi does it and he reckons its not cheating.

I just added it as more of a joke since if you zoom in to that reference it looks pretty goofy. But I don't really think it's cheating either. I'm not a huge fan and I have never really been happy with the results when I've tried it though. I'm not very good with layer styles or that sort of thing, which is probably why it's looked bad.

CnC is for the stronk.
Never really cared if i came across as douchey or not, if my comments help someone, then mission accomplished.

Haha, well I might have to start practicing a bit in here. But I'll keep my brutally hurtful cnc for chillz's stuff in Skype >;)
started this head i want to add hair and ears to it but so far cnc please :P
i was going for a Chinese mask

head dont take

I still take texture requests for usd
Looks more like an immortal mask from 300, but still looks ok
yellow is a difficult colour to work with, we all hate it.
the highlights work, gives it that metallic finish, just make sure you blend that area under the eye a bit more.
keep going.

also, lel blue shadows
Last edited by BenDover; May 7, 2014 at 02:12 PM.
Click the image to view the whole picture

Spent about two weeks on this, what should i do less/more of etc,
really neeed constructive criticism since i'm not sure where to go from here.
"the south will rise again" -millie
Check perspective on the armor and the body? If you follow the breast/stomach plate the rest of her face and the upper body seems to be pushed back in space (Cover the left arm to see what I'm talking about better, the plane for the front of her armor is really far behind the plane for the front of her face). Her right arm could be moved up and to the right slightly. As it is now I don't see much room for her armpits. Left arm also seems a bit long, but that might just be due to the disjointed body. You might also want to make the right shoulderplate fade off into the rear. Right now it's a somewhat odd plate that starts on the top of her shoulder, covers her biceps, and then stabs the soft skinned area near the joint.

I don't know if you started by doing a normal body sketch then adding armor, but if not you might want to try drawing some simple perspective guidelines over what you have to check the perspective. Like a line for the front of her body, center, and back from top to bottom. And maybe a plane for where her shoulder's lay and her chest plate sticks out.

Other than that it looks nice. It does give off a Dark Souls feeling so that's good.
(>^_^)>