Ranking
Sorry if I shouldn't be bumping this or something.. But has anyone got any tips for a solid silver player? I've got some pretty decent strategic map knowledge/micro-ing, but my builds are a little flimsy and a bit flawed..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Proud Parrot
Macro gets you from bronze to platinum, just focus on using all your resources and building a ton of units. You can look up some build orders on liquidpedia or something if you want. But make sure your mechanics are good.

What race do you play? Each race has different mechanics which reward different kinds of gameplay.
Shit, I didn't know people played this. I recall Hxcbbqimo saying he did somewhere but I never thought it was a thread. I'm playing protoss and never really got into RTS until recently. I got to rank 3 bronze (I'm so MLG) before my exams hit and have been meaning to play ever since. I heard they were considering changing Hellbats, did they ever end up doing that?
collect snots from the nose
They haven't changed the hellbats yet, but people get better and better at making it do less damage to their mineral line. In TvT your whole playstyle is developed around hellbat drops.
Originally Posted by Ezeth View Post
They haven't changed the hellbats yet, but people get better and better at making it do less damage to their mineral line. In TvT your whole playstyle is developed around hellbat drops.

Yeah I've been watching a lot more than I've been playing and some of the drop play is insane in tournaments. I need to get back into the swing of things sooner or later, I'm fortunate enough that in bronze people don't think hellbats are good/don't have enough co-ordination or multi-tasking to be able to drop much whilst focusing on macro. That's gonna be another thing to deal with altogether.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Macro gets you from bronze to platinum, just focus on using all your resources and building a ton of units. You can look up some build orders on liquidpedia or something if you want. But make sure your mechanics are good.

What race do you play? Each race has different mechanics which reward different kinds of gameplay.

My main is Terran, I have a couple of good builds that work quite well. I play with a couple of friends and we generally keep around an 80% win rate, but my builds don't seem to be made for 1v1's, haha. Generally in team play, I'll do a 4rax marine push at 6 minutes, and while they're pushing get my orbital and both gas' to begin a quick macro to hit again. But in a 1v1 the push barely seems to put a dint in their forces..

Edit: also Gynx, do you watch Day9? I'd highly recommend watching his videos if you don't, very instructional.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Proud Parrot
Originally Posted by poopy12 View Post
My main is Terran, I have a couple of good builds that work quite well. I play with a couple of friends and we generally keep around an 80% win rate, but my builds don't seem to be made for 1v1's, haha. Generally in team play, I'll do a 4rax marine push at 6 minutes, and while they're pushing get my orbital and both gas' to begin a quick macro to hit again. But in a 1v1 the push barely seems to put a dint in their forces..

Edit: also Gynx, do you watch Day9? I'd highly recommend watching his videos if you don't, very instructional.

In team games every push is much stronger, the push strength is the sum of the pusher's army, and the defense is only as strong as the weakest player.

You should get an orbital as soon as you get a rax, orbitals are ridiculous and Terran are balanced around them.

In general I think a good terran opener is just 10 supply, 13 rax, next rax when you have enough money, supply at or before 16 (don't let up SCV production until you are saturated), orbital once your first rax is done. From there just keep building rax and supply and spamming marines. By 10 minutes you should be able to push and win every game (ignoring the games where you lose to some silly cheese).

Ranking up and improving is about playing a large volume of games and focusing on a single aspect. There's always going to be stupid builds that get you killed or weird tactics, but just focus on what you are focusing on and don't worry.
If I'm doing a 5 minute push, I won't worry about the orbital until 5 minutes. It cost 150 minerals, which is the same as another barracks. But I've given up on that build for 1v1's now, and am trying for a banshee harass, marauder and Viking heavy army, with bunkers for defence.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Proud Parrot
You are doing too much, just go with a simpler push...

I didn't get to play much last season, but I was 27-0 with just roach pushes in plat (not enough games to rank up sadly).

If you mess around with timings, harasses and rushes without having the micro and scouting and experience to back them up, it's not going to be useful. Just focus on getting a good attack by 10 minutes without your macro or economy falling behind and you should win pretty much everything.

Banshee harass followed by marauders and vikings is such a specific, complex and late build - not to mention that bunkers are a waste of money without scouting.
Originally Posted by poopy12 View Post

Absolutely I do, that guy is a godsend. I'm going to become more habitual about playing when I can find the time. For now I can stick to watching it