Toribash
I was thinking about making a tb action figure, but I'm not decided as to what kind of joints to use.

The choices are;
ball and socket joints - easy and proven, but doesn't look as clean since you need the socket and ball...

2xhemisphere with loose magnet inside - Not sure if anyone uses this method, it limits the weight of the model and thickness of plastic, plus you need to add the magnets, but much cleaner looking.

use a tongue with a round hole and a peg through the joint - even easier than the others, but not sure how to deal with the peg and when the model is dismembered you will have visible tongues...

The dream:
1. make toridolls on shapeways
2. ship them to various texture artists who will paint them
3. collect nicely painted and posted toridolls
-----
btw 2bknown used a method like the last one and it seemed to work well, but IMO it was very visible plus it means more parts. We could use ball and socket and get the same look with less parts afaik.

I can make some tests and get them sent out if anyone is interested in colab.
Last edited by ImmortalPig; May 24, 2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Go for the 3rd option, its just easier, and it allows the figure to move in the same way as you can do in-game. Why have an option for dismemberment? I think this will be challenging and a bit unnessesary.
Ok, well we can try some different joint designs, because I think they will be very easy to print out, so we can print out a pack of them and anyone who wants to can give them a try. I'm not 100% sure about anything, so we are probably going to need some testing...

Here's my run at an actually anatomically correct tori using the actual values; https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ayer-sizes.txt

Not sure how the legs or thigh geometry works, so I'll have to check that out.nah dw got it sorted. But so far the reference model looks OK.

reference model: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ash/tori.blend
Last edited by ImmortalPig; May 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM.
Ya 2bknown did a great job. I'm not sure I like the look of those joints tho... Also not all his joints articulate, that's a good idea.

Also his was injection molded, so it's not really made for something like shapeways, it's either mass production or nothing :/

It would be cheaper to make non-articulating models, we could make a few in poses and get some artists to paint them. Then idk, auction them?
-----
Poly count doesn't appear to make a difference for pricing.
Nah it makes no difference, it's just the volume. Actually when I subsurfed all the joints x3 and reuploaded (so pretty much 10x the poly count) it was actually cheaper since the jaggy edges were smoothed and less material was required!

For (cm) 6.782w x 7.38d x 1.542h it's $11 for a tori without any articulation. But for (cm) 13.564w x 14.758d x 3.098h it's $77 so yeah... 40 or 80mm scale would be cool I think. Not sure how many artists around here have experience painting warhammer models or whatever else of similar scale :P
-----
Could also do some that are just head and neck joint on a stand.
-----
Also, I think we can do them without pegs by using something like a flattened ball and socket

Should get the same amount of movement, but dont need pegs/pins
Last edited by ImmortalPig; May 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump