Toribash
Original Post
Rule Change in Private/Public Rooms
Hi,

We’ve recently updated the rules regarding private space and public space. I’m writing this semi-brief note to send the message along. Below will be a few points on why we made the change, what was actually changed, and finally, how it affects everyone going forward. You can find the rules in the FAQ.

Why

With the implementation of in-game reports, private v. public rooms were always a hot topic when looking at the reports. Tori-Agents look through game chat logs and replays to come to their verdict(s). “Was this a private room?” “What can we do about it?” were frequently asked questions among the team. The staff team discussed this and came to the conclusion to amend the rules. We felt that, through means of technicalities, “allowing” members to break rules because they’re in their own custom server, isn’t right. We’re not trying to shaft people from having fun, rather, keeping everything fun and friendly for everyone. If something is reported, in-game reports, or our traditional methods of sending a screenshot in, we deal with it.

What

For everyone, these guidelines should be common sense behavior, typical to everyday interactions with real people. Here’s the new rules paired by the old rules. Please take the time to read.

Originally Posted by New

- Harassment

Harassing (by insulting, name-calling, slurs, bandwagoning, flaming, trolling, and so on) other members of the game for any reason is not allowed. We wish to maintain a friendly environment, and any flaming or harassment may result in a ban. This includes any homophobic or racial slurs in any public space in the community

"Public space" is defined as:
Game - Any room that is not protected by a password.
Forum - The entire forum with the exception of Wibbles and clan PRIVATE boards.
If it's brought to moderator's attention and found that your language disrupts the integrity of the environment we're setting; warnings, infractions, or bans will take place. Try to solve issues yourself if you can. We can't possibly be there for every single instance. Asking to politely stop is a start.

Originally Posted by Old
Harassing (by insulting, name-calling, slurs, bandwagoning, flaming, trolling, and so on) other members of the game for any reason is not allowed. We wish to maintain a friendly environment, and any flaming or harassment may result in a ban. This includes any homophobic or racial slurs in any public space in the community - for more information read here.

And if you follow the link in the Old rules, this part, I'll put that in a spoiler

Addition

Going Forward

This isn’t to get rid of private rooms, you’re free to have your fun. Just be mindful of the others joining in. We strive to keep all platforms of Toribash a fun and friendly environment to want to be in. If you see behavior that clearly breaks the rules, report it. After that, ignore them using the ignore feature ingame. If you have feedback, you’re free to post, we’d love to hear it with the intentions of trying to improve.
Last edited by ed; Jan 21, 2020 at 08:36 AM. Reason: clarity

بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

i live in South Africa, where everybody who isn't black call black people racial slurs and shit. When the government says "hey you can't be racist anymore" then everyone goes "oH My gOd mY frEEdOm oF SpeECh tHiS iS What hapPENs wHen We Have a bLAcK GOvErnMENt" which is why im so for slurs and things being banned globally. I encounter people who think they can say whatever they want with no consequences. I wish toribash staff would've came down on these kinds of people in toribash sooner. I come to toribash to get away from people blaming each other for everything and using slurs to somehow prove a point, not to just see it repeated in private servers.
Last edited by lily; Jan 20, 2020 at 09:22 PM.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Originally Posted by lily View Post
i live in South Africa, where everybody who isn't black call black people racial slurs and shit. When the government says "hey you can't be racist anymore" then everyone goes "oH My gOd mY frEEdOm oF SpeECh tHiS iS What hapPENs wHen We Have a bLAcK GOvErnMENt" which is why im so for slurs and things being banned globally. I encounter people who think they can say whatever they want with no consequences. I wish toribash staff would've came down on these kinds of people in toribash sooner. I come to toribash to get away from people blaming each other for everything and using slurs to somehow prove a point, not to just see it repeated in private servers.

Well damn so do I. Interesting perspective but perhaps you form part of the larger problem. There are literally laws in place in the country that prevent white people getting work. There are literally politicians in major parties calling on the genocide of white people (julius malema for those interested) and words specifically banned from being said to protect one race. Educating you on the history and politics in SA is going to take me too long but I assume you come from a more influenced background and don't really dabble in the politics much that's why you hold the more modest and short sighted views even here on toribash. I don't mean this as an insult I just believe that you need to educate yourself more and follow the trend less, there's more to it than what your emotion is telling you.
Last edited by CoKe; Jan 20, 2020 at 09:54 PM.

▂▃▄▅▆▇█▓▒░ eVo ░▒▓█▇▆▅▄▃▂

nobody likes Julius Malema, he's regularly made fun of for being a complete dumbass. I grew up in areas rife with gang violence and just a general air of a lot of crime. Its never really been safe to go outside in those areas. I moved to a better area and now im starting to form views on the bigger picture. If you want to talk more ab politics in our amazing (/s) country then add me on discord. (violet (she/her)#2145)
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
i agree, and thats why i believe this rule can work if context is taken into account. if i recall correctly, the default procedure for handling bickering and harassment between users is for them to try to settle those issues between themselves first, before taking it to staff. if u tell me to stop but i keep being an asshole to u, then i will get infracted/banned for it. i doubt people will get banned for friendly banter.

i believe it should be discouraged in the community, especially because it is a small community, easier to manage. usually that sort of language isnt acceptable anywhere and will get u punished in larger communities. its also, imo, a bad look for the staff to close an eye to that kind of language

So the new rules state that you'll get punished if "your language disrupts the integrity of the [friendly] environment" that staff are trying to establish. So..

Got a genuine question here. If context is being taken into account and I'm being all friendly and calling my niggas niggas and whatnot, and then some snowflake joins the server and says they're offended by this, do I have to stop? I'm being friendly with my buds. If anything, this snowflake fella is disrupting the formally friendly environment by tryna turn it all into some political 'wah-wah' shit. Can I say 'fuck off nigga' and kickban him? Am I even allowed to kickban them (without the 'slur') now? Would I get in trouble for that? @Staff, response?

In reality, I'd probably handle the snowflake by lecturing him on the importance of context and intent (get into a conversation), but if the snowflake continued being annoyingly snowflaky and threatened me with infractions, I'd probably kickban them. Probably call em something mean too, prior to the kicking, like 'poopyhead' or 'dumbfuck'. Is that all right?

I don't like this idea/solution of private transitory servers only being private and transitory if they're password protected. If there's a password on the server, people aren't able to join it as freely as they would without it, even if I announce the pass in the roomname or description. So that's why I wanna know the constraints on exactly how I'm allowed to act in my own private server (with no password) without breaching the 'integrity' of staff's friendly environment.
Last edited by Ele; Jan 21, 2020 at 12:27 AM.
Originally Posted by CoKe View Post
The hypocrisy in these posts are rife.

Arctic, you literally have "Professional Healslut" as your title - how in the hell can you try take the moral high ground on this while you publicly parade what has been known to be 'offensive speech' terms. Furthermore, our position on this is literally why an edgy title like that has been acceptable.

For the sensible among us: @DrGonz response

how is professional healslut offensive in any way its a harmless joke lmao

people like you deserve the r word no one can blame me
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
So the new rules state that you'll get punished if "your language disrupts the integrity of the [friendly] environment" that staff are trying to establish. So..

Got a genuine question here. If context is being taken into account and I'm being all friendly and calling my niggas niggas and whatnot, and then some snowflake joins the server and says they're offended by this, do I have to stop? I'm being friendly with my buds. If anything, this snowflake fella is disrupting the formally friendly environment by tryna turn it all into some political 'wah-wah' shit. Can I say 'fuck off nigga' and kickban him? Am I even allowed to kickban them (without the 'slur') now? Would I get in trouble for that? @Staff, response?

In reality, I'd probably handle the snowflake by lecturing him on the importance of context and intent (get into a conversation), but if the snowflake continued being annoyingly snowflaky and threatened me with infractions, I'd probably kickban them. Probably call em something mean too, prior to the kicking, like 'poopyhead' or 'dumbfuck'. Is that all right?

I don't like this idea/solution of private transitory servers only being private and transitory if they're password protected. If there's a password on the server, people aren't able to join it as freely as they would without it, even if I announce the pass in the roomname or description. So that's why I wanna know the constraints on exactly how I'm allowed to act in my own private server (with no password) without breaching the 'integrity' of staff's friendly environment.

If I come to your house, how can it be targeted harassment? I'm putting myself into that situation, especially if I was not invited.

This also speaks to what I was saying earlier. I get on quite well with Ele (to the surprise of none on the other side of this debate, I'm sure). A reasonable person wouldn't report him in his hypothetical. I don't like the N word at all, i find it very off putting. Now, either I wouldn't say shit, because I was in his server and I'm sensible enough to understand that context, or I'd express my opinion surrounding why I think it's a gross word. An example point is that there are black americans who would otherwise be alive today, but they're not and that's the last word they heard. Either he'd listen or he wouldn't care - I can't control his response, only my own input.

He's never said it around me BTW, just for the people who like to say "oh you just want to say [insert word]" - I've never seen Ele write it in game, that I remember.

Now, let's say it's not Ele, because I don't want to colour his response in that situation, but say this happens with someone, here's a few things that they might do in response:
1) Stop saying it altogether
2) Say it less around me, if they happen to like me or feel like being more polite that day, whatever
3) Say it the same amount as before, ignoring my opinion
4) Repeat it over and over and call me a bitch ass n-word puss-puss.

If this hypothetical person did #4), in his own server, what do you think my response should be?
1) Should I stay in his server (which doesn't have "public" written on the desc, which I joined of my own will), and report them for being a big-hot meanie face?
2) Or stay in his server and use the ignore feature?
3) Should I laugh it off because, in the grand scheme of things, these are, ultimately, just words and my reaction to them is my own responsibility? Even though this hypothetical person is trying to get a rise out of me, that doesn't necessarily mean they have control over my emotions. Either I have control over my emotions... or no one does.
4) Should I take the hint and fuck off?

Are you suggesting number 1 is the most appropriate response when I'm in someone else's server? What if I don't have a problem with the n-word, and I predict he'll taunt me with it if I express my dismay, and I use that messy social engineering to report him?

Can you see why people have such a problem with this nebulous, unnecessary rule? Do staff give any fucks at all? I mean, I honestly can't blame them for not giving a fuck, especially if they have people constantly whining at them about big-hot meanie pants' nasty word attacks. I'd probably just go for a bit of censorship too if I had to keep listening to that shrill nonsense.
-----
Originally Posted by basic View Post
how is professional healslut offensive in any way its a harmless joke lmao

people like you deserve the r word no one can blame me

I'm guessing he was referring to that whole "slut-shaming" stuff a few years back, which that noble noted virgin Amber Rose brought to the mainstream. I think there was a march.
Last edited by DrGonz; Jan 21, 2020 at 12:59 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
you don’t even have to slur to get banned

ANY form of harassment. saying someone’s trash can be taken out of context by someone else.

this also means im reporting any one of you fuckers that start to say sum stupid shit in any private server because the term private has no meaning anymore
Oh right, in the discussion that's more reasonable than the rule I forgot just how nebulous and ill-defined the rule is.