Toribash
View Poll Results: Would you like to see the return of the rep system?
Sure
120 Votes / 78.43%
Nah
33 Votes / 21.57%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

Originally Posted by floop78 View Post
I joined a bit after the rep system was taken out, so this is the opinion (or more of a suggestion) from an outsider's point of view.

So I was thinking how about making a limit to how many times you can give somebody rep. That way it has more of a meaningful value. 3 points per month or something really strict, so farmers at least don't have it as easy.

Posting grey list for rep. Min: 10 posts.

And accounts with the same IP can't give each other rep.

That's the way I see it working really.

Also, people with a rep moderating job might be a bit sketchy especially if they're allowed to control the amount of rep somebody has.

Seems almost so restricted that it would be pointless.

Besides the staff will still happily abuse that, and farmers will just make a ton of alts.
Originally Posted by cocacobra View Post
No. Rep made everyone lose their true personalities in order to give thumbs up.

I kind of agree with that. The threat of negative rep is enough to make some people refrain from posting diverging opinions, regardless of where it is. But on the other hand, the Chronic Achievement Syndrome(tm) would also compel many people to strive for maximum rep, which on average would make their behaviour more tolerable. I didn't care that much about it, but it's always nice to get a pat on the back from someone who approves of what you did or said, so i wouldn't mind it returning. Not a huge loss if it doesn't, either.

Also, throwing an idea out there: Removing the ability to down-rep people. Prevents rep-bombing, while still allowing awesome people to amass a huge e-cock. Bad posters simply don't get as much rep as good posters, so you can still spot the monstrously large e-peens among the dinky ones. In other words, positive reinforcement.
Bad idea y/n?
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Didn't though of shook's idea, but it seriously sounds great.

Negative rep enabled: "Yo dude let's rep bomb that fag for no reason whatsoever"
Negative rep removed "Why would I give him tons of rep for no reason?"

Anyway, I agree with shook's idea.
oh yeah
In my opinion, the reputation system is unnecessary. If you're going to do good deeds, you should do it by your own will, and not under the influence of an automated system.

To others, however, it seems that the mass amount of green bars underneath their posts keep them going, and encourages them to do good deeds in the community, therefore making themselves look like a better person in general, and keeping the forums ship-shape as well.

To a select few, they overlook the general purpose intended in the reputation system and abuse it instead. I remember back when this feature was on the forums, people on the market would do stuff like "5k for your dragon force, and I'll +rep you too". Although this was only for a small portion of users, it spread like wildfire, and more and more people started doing this more often.

And then there's a very miniscule group of users who just go against the system and try earning themselves the dreaded red bars. Although, if they continued to do what they did, they would eventually be punished by the fantastic group of moderators in the community, so that wouldn't be much of a problem.

I wouldn't mind having the reputation back again, but I think that everyone should start from a clean slate again. If it's being brought back after 2 years or so, [most] people have obviously changed since that period in time, thus they should start out with 0 points from the start. The reputation system would be a lot more usable if there were some rules set in place.
BAD LUCK
I was around every time the rep system was brought back (twice) and I always enjoyed it. it made me want to to more for the community and strive to learn new things or perfect what I already knew. Let alone seeing the green bars was a sense of accomplishment.

I say if we do bring it back, bring it back for good and start over fresh.
OLDA | Fr3styL | RL | T3AL
R.I.P [Pure] 356 Threads, 19,000 Posts.
The Reputation System should be back. Only thing I would mind is how some will "farm" rep with alts. Surprise us with a brand new one & set rules straight, such as -Strictly Prohibited to ask for rep- and/or reward with.
I say new system from scratch.

boricua

Originally Posted by kumi View Post
Seems almost so restricted that it would be pointless.

Besides the staff will still happily abuse that, and farmers will just make a ton of alts.

Honestly who would care what the staff does with their rep. It'd only be the higher up people like ninjas and admins, along with the possible "rep moderators" and I think that most of them probably won't care what their rep said.

Originally Posted by shook View Post

Also, throwing an idea out there: Removing the ability to down-rep people. Prevents rep-bombing, while still allowing awesome people to amass a huge e-cock.
Bad idea y/n?

Like Solax said, the system should be natural. Strictly limiting the people's "rep per month" would solve the whole "oh look at that guy he is cool I'm going to +rep him" and it would turn it into "wow that post made me think that this guy deserves a +rep"
I'm also not so sure about removing the ability to -rep people. Might actually render the system completely pointless. However, if we made it so that -reping people also took away from your "Rep use per month" it would also take away the whole "oh lets -rep Timmy just to mess with him" and turn it into "wow this guy is genuinely stupid and deserving of a -rep"

I would also like to reiterate that if we disabled people with the same IP from reping themselves at all it could prevent alt farming.
Last edited by floop78; May 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
<Swyne> <3 Fleip
<3 SWYIE
Originally Posted by floop78 View Post
Honestly who would care what the staff does with their rep. It'd only be the higher up people like ninjas and admins, along with the possible "rep moderators" and I think that most of them probably won't care what their rep said.

All I'm saying is that last time the staff heavily abused rep to boost their e-peens and their friends' e-peens, even going so far as selling it.

What is the point of a rep system if people abuse it like that?

It just doesn't work.