Ranking
OMFG!!!!! IF YOU ARE SEEING THIS AND NOT REPLYING I WILL COME AND MURDER YOU IN YOUR SLEEP!!!!! I NEED YOUR F***'ing HELP! Oh and btw, if you actually DID post something, thnx

Alright guys I have all of the parts and have done some more assembly. The GPU is in the mobo, the optical drive is in its slot, and the Hard drive i put in an empty optical drive slot because the cord connecting the PSU to the hard drive and the optical drive was one cord and was too short to connect to both while the hard drive was in the hard drive slot. Another issue is that my hard drive didn't come with housing and neither did my case, so it is sort of just lying loose. The hard drive and optical drive are plugged in to the mobo into the SATA_0 and 1 slots. I have plugged all of the LED and other stuff in from the front pannel, but my mobo only had 1 slot for either AC'97 or HD audio, and i had both cords coming from the case, so i plugged in the HD audio one. After that, everything got screwy. I have a series of white plugs (the white plugs of doom) coming from fans that I cant figure out where to plug in. The PSU has some cords with the same kind of endings, but there aren't as many cords ending in sockets as cords ending in prongs. The cords have little white plastic things on the end surrounding either the sockets or prongs. In addition, there are 2 "IDE" slots, both identical, on my mobo and the cord has three plugs on it. However, neither my hard drive or my optical drive has a plug for that cord and i dont know what to do with it if anything at all. I will be posting more with pictures soon.

finally, there are some plugs going from my PSU to my mobo, all of which i have plugged in. They again have pins with white plastic around them in the shapes of domes and squares so that you cant plug them in to the wrong place. However, there are still pin holes in the mobo that are not filled after all the wires have been plugged in. Is this normal?

I uncovered some stuff on at least one of the white plugs of doom: "This wire plugs into any ATX 4 pin molex connector from the power supply." The plug in the picture has a regular sized white thing but only two pins, which is the same as one of the plugs in my case (the info was from the case manual). Huh? i havent seen any plug that looked like it would fit that on my mobo. Is is possible that my mobo isnt compatible with the case?

ALRIGHT. First I would like to express a little displeasure that DarkJak came in and edited my post, but did not take the time to actually read and RESPOND to it... I mean come on.

Now me and Graboy have finished doing all that we know how to do. We tried booting the computer and it didnt work (im not that surprised). Just to clarify, nothing at all happened. No sparks. No blue screen. Also, yes I am sure everything was plugged into the wall, and yes the computer was plugged into a monitor. Now, we have a couple suspected reasons why it might not have worked, and i will now go into them in detail.
Number 1: the cord depicted in the first picture from the left. It looks important. We have no idea where to plug it in. In the motherboard manual, they call it an IDE connector. It shows where it plugs in on the mobo and says that it connects IDE devices, such as optical drives and hard drives. However, neither our optical drive OR our hard drive has a slot that would fit that cord. So right now, that cord is not in the computer. Have we done something wrong?
Number 2: The white plugs of doom. Or, as they are more officially known (and now that i have done some research), 4-pin molexes. All of these seem to have something to do with fans, at least in my case. According to Wikipedia, there are "male" and "female" 4-pin molexes; the males are the ones with prongs, and the females are the ones with sockets (hmmmm........ I wonder). All of the fans have a cord that splits into both a male and female plug at the end (as pictured in the second picture from the left), and the PSU has a number of "female" plugs equal to the number of fans (pictured 3rd). Me and Graboy did what seemed logical and plugged the "male" plug on each of the fans into each of the 4-pin molex sockets on the wires coming out of the PSU. Again, have we done something wrong?
Number 3: Before we move on from fan stuff, there are also 2 white plugs that plug into the SYS_FAN socket on the motherboard (one of them is also in the third picture from the left). There is only one on the motherboard. We plugged in one, but have no idea what to do with the other...HALP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Number 4: Next is a socket labled ATX_12V_2X4 (the last picture shows what we did with that plug). Although the socket is 2x4 pins, the only left over plug, and also the only plug that fits out of all of them, is 2x2 pins. Now the mobo manual has a little diagram of the plug, naming each pin.Out of the 4 pins i plugged it in to (the bottom 4 and in the shape of a square), 2 are named GND and 2 are named +12V. Out of the other 4, 2 say "GND(only for 2x4-pin 12V)" and 2 say "+12V (Only for 2x4-pin 12V)". It seems like we did the right thing here, but in a foot-note, it says that "if the 12V power connector is not connected, the computer will not start", and that rings danger bells.
Number 5: I dont think this realy needs mentioning, but Graboy thinks so. We were instructed to plug the Hard drive and optical Drive into the mobo with SATA cables. We did so and plugged the hard drive into SATA_0 and the optical drive into SATA_1. It doesnt matter which SATA port we plug the drives into, right? The mobo manual didnt specify which STA ports you were supposed to plug what into.

Alright, thats it! If you have ANY advice, please give it.
Attached Images
IMG_2198.jpg (95.7 KB, 8 views)
IMG_2202.jpg (91.1 KB, 9 views)
IMG_2212.jpg (84.2 KB, 8 views)
IMG_2211.jpg (95.7 KB, 9 views)
Last edited by nellneb; Jun 13, 2010 at 01:40 AM.
:3
ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!

And no thanks to you all.

I just got the big call, we have gotten it assembled, the LEDs look like there pulled right out of a movie, and were both very, very, happy.

Last edited by DarkJak; Jun 13, 2010 at 06:03 AM.
So, no need to respond to that huge post above anymore? :>

Post a pic, man. Would love to see it.

Also, doing small edits like merging double posts, snipping excessive info like from dxdiags, putting more descriptive titles is something I'm supposed to do. And I don't always have to time to reply to everything, although I still like to try to if I feel that I can help.

For the second fan connector, hope you guys found a molex extension thingy.

But congrats!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Thnx DarkJak for explaining. Just an update here, windows7 is now installed, I have internet, and I am now typing this message from my first, beast, home-built computer
Originally Posted by nellneb View Post
Thnx DarkJak for explaining. Just an update here, windows7 is now installed, I have internet, and I am now typing this message from my first, beast, home-built computer

Congratz. No doubt, building a computer piece by piece is not only more challenging and interesting but also far more enjoyable than getting a shitty computer at the store
It will also obey your priorities and needs.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Jun 14, 2010 at 04:18 AM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Update:

alright so here's the deal guys. Nellneb grapics card is acting kind of funky, device manager picks up his card as a ati 4700 card and the preformance does not seem to be what we have heard of. (by the way, sorry for typos, I'm doing this on my iPod touch). He has notified saphire about his problem and I'm coming back to you guys to see if you have any ideas. The most I can think of is drivers, but other than shiping the wring card, is there any possiple other reasons for this to happen? By the way, our ram only clocks to 800 or some reason, but it works. The bios sEEMas also very complex too, I haven't seen many bioses, but there is easily 200+ settings in there. Hope you can help - graboy
correction: it is detecting an ATI 4200

I just got an email back from sapphire, but I dont really understand what they are saying. Here it is:
Your card has onboard graphics? If it does, you will need to disable it because it looks like its seeing a different graphics chipset then the new card you place into your system.

Tech

Sapphire Technology
Tech Support Center

280 Paseo Tesoro
Walnut CA 91789
Fax. 1-909-594-9771
www.sapphiretech.com

Last edited by nellneb; Jun 15, 2010 at 01:34 PM.
I believe we do have onboard graphics becuase we have a (monitor) port built into the mobo and 2 other DVI ports that came out of the Graphics card.

Please confirm my thoughts. -Graboy

EDIT: Nvm about this, we know that we have a ATI 4200 HD for our onboard graphics card. We just had some problems with the drivers becuase of a Phailzure that nellneb made. Anyways, I'm going to work with nellneb over the phone tom to disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS.

~Graboy
Last edited by graboy; Jun 16, 2010 at 03:48 AM.
I asked you to post more than that...

Anyways, we got the graphics card working by a Y cable connector and plugging the monitor directly into the GPU with the help of a converter cord.

If I remember correctly our PC got a Heaven beanchmark average framerate of 30.5 and a score in the high 700s.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

-Graboy