Toribash
@micah

the opener and decap spin kick thing in pound was generic, but executed pretty well, i think its funny that your foot ghosted through ukes entire head, but everything after that wasn't very good. you looked pretty off balance most of the time, with your first punch not hitting anything in particular. it looks like you did an alright job of not flying up on the second punch, and i'm just guessing here, but by the way you flick your hand, it looks initially like you're going for a dm, but then you don't move your shoulder down enough and glance of him. was it hard to get the dm so you just decided to keep punching? i mean i'm not condemning you cuz its hard for me to get dms so like you know. if thats not the case then just dismiss that part. in any it the whole punching segment doesn't look very good. uke's shoulder dm looks kind of accidental, grabbing and flicking your wrist looked really twitchy, nothing in particular to say about the chest dm, it didn't really look like you tried on the transition to the pose, i mean compared to the start of the replay.

i think i'm seeing a pattern here in minip practice, cuz the first part was pretty bad, but the actually ending madman part looked alright. i'm pretty sure its some sort of rule for manipulation replays to not grab uke or something, but i don't really like manipulation replays, so idk. anyway kicking uke uselessly grabbing and spinning around didn't look very good. that spin at frame 720 was alright on its own, but you had a pretty good setup do to something really neato rather than relaxing a couple times. the shoulder dm looked a bit sloppy and unaimed, you should'v waited til after the kick to throw down your right arm for the spin. you should've edited out the the next leg swipe that didn't do anything imo, the back kick at frame 360 does nothing too, the hip dismember was cuz you bashed ur gluts into him. the way you hook your foot around ukes neck is really nice though, head skeet is cool, don't know why you took off your other wrist though. spins on the transition to the pose looked nice.

last replay is by far the best, cool if generic setup and twist, i feel like you could've gotten the splitcap if you really tried, i love that spin and cool cork setup thing after the decap, but you ruined your flow and momentum by grabbing ukes foot and pulling him towards you, nothing really to say about the next 2 dms, i wish you would've avoided ukes chest and arm touching your head cuz it looks neater when you dont.

its a no and always sorry for sounding like a jerk
wow that
sucked
I'd rather you be a jerk than an asshole. thanks for the help though I just recently started sp so this helps a lot more than you might think. and jaker can finally help me today so you will be hearing from me again soon
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
I just recently started sp

why are you applying?? it literally takes the average guy like half a year to get good enough. dont mean any harm to you, but asking for help when you start replays is just a bad idea. make replays you think are cool, and when your playstyle is atleast a bit defined then you can ask someone to help you improve it. i dont mean to tell you what to do, just sharing experience.. i personally hated cnc when i first started, since it was just someone else's opinion on what looks good.

as cheesy as it sounds, imo the only way to git gud is to do it yourself. getting help from someone else is just like having someone tell you what youre gonna put in your own painting
oh yeah
If I don't understand how to do it in the first place I'm not going to get far personally. I learn faster from other replays and cnc because they tell me what they would do and then I can see how i can fix the problem in my own way. People have different learning styles you don't have to call them out on it and I don't mean recently as in a few days I've been doing sp for about four or five months which is still recent considering everyone else here has probably been doing it for a long time span; As you can see from my replays I'm still ass at it from the view point of some of you. I already have my opinion on what looks good and what doesn't which is why I asked jaker to help me an not someone else because I could watch his for days. it's not like I went into this blind I have some experience I do understand the basic and bits and pieces of the advanced moves; think about it, it makes sense for me to apply to understand what my replays look like to others so I have something to go off of. When I was a black belt I though every replay i did was amazing but some other people could say otherwise, so I posted my replays to see what I need to do to better myself from the view point of people who have more experience such as yourself and nearly, then I can change what they suggest into what I believe looks good to give it another try, That is why I applied.
Last edited by Micah; Mar 16, 2015 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Grammar and shit..
edit: i know this post is gigantic lol but i have no repressive intentions in it, please dont feel like im scolding you when reading it

someone add this to the op: do not apply to get cnc. we have a specific thread for help already. apply only if you want to join and believe you can

Originally Posted by Micah View Post
If I don't understand how to do it in the first place I'm not going to get far personally.

you will find this is not true, because toribash is not objective. hell, by this logic then people like Dafe would be unexplainable, as they did not have any any existing knowledge and background to base their stuff off. you do what you want, you LEARN HOW TO DO IT BY TRYING TO DO IT, and we do our best to judge it objectively by trying to figure out what you were trying to achieve and then rating its execution.

having someone tell you what to do BEFORE they know what you are going for will make you create replays that you do not understand/like. of course that is a bit of an exageration, but there is more to making replays than knowledge that can be put in a book. you need a feel for it (sounds stupid as hell, but very much the truth). there are replay tips and advice that are just not possible to communicate, as you interiorize and absorb them so naturally that they become trivial, like common sense, and your brain doesnt feel the need to understand why or how it works, because it is basic (but not obvious) stuff that you use constantly.

I learn faster from other replays and cnc because they tell me what they would do and then I can see how i can fix the problem in my own way

have you ever opened a replay by someone else, pressed E at a random point and tried to continue it just like? it made me feel completely lost, even if what i ws trying to replicate didnt look that hard. specific advice from someone else on something you are having trouble with works like 50% of the time, because context is extremely important when dealing with replay editing. a lot of movements and hits in replays look the same, but are made in numerous manners. there are tons of ways to cook spaghetti.

I already have my opinion on what looks good and what doesn't which is why I asked jaker to help me an not someone else because I could watch his for days. it's not like I went into this blind I have some experience I do understand the basic and bits and pieces of the advanced moves;

"advanced" is subjetive, we are not specifically looking for complex stuff like Pulse skeets, we simply want you to have good ideas and execute them well.
asking for help from someone whose replays you like is not something i have experienced, but Jaker is honestly more of a technical monster than an artsy pioneer. besides, bringing back the cooking analogy, you can ask Jaker how to obtain a specific result in a replay, but that does not mean your playstyles coincide. he might make replays with methods that you are not comfortable with. for example, there are some people ive met that are extremely weirded out by the fact that i do not plan the entire replay before i make it, yet we make arguably similar replays.

no bad personal intentions with this post, i had lots of fun writing it and i enjoy talking to people, although it would be more convenient to leave this thread for the actual recruiting, and if you want to talk more feel free to pm me. cheers

people who are applying: please dont get mad at me, the reason i write this huge ass post but not look at your app is because i am on mobile lol
Last edited by pusga; Mar 16, 2015 at 02:00 AM.
oh yeah
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
if you want to talk more feel free to pm me.

I'll Pm you

Ps if you're wondering guys, this isn't an argument it is a discussion just on the wrong thread because I'm bad .rip
Last edited by Micah; Mar 16, 2015 at 02:28 AM.
the only good part about im sorry dad was the opener. You twitched your glutes like mad going into the first kick, not to mention the grab ruined the flow and got rid of plenty of potential for explosions. The ending just looked lazy and uncreative.
soi was good, except that I've seen that opener billions of times, and potential for better explosions.
opener to im not a legend was noice, but the floppy hip dm was floppy and bad. Uncreative in literally every aspect.
no
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
|Replay|ORMO|
Originally Posted by Dscigs View Post
the only good part about im sorry dad was the opener. You twitched your glutes like mad going into the first kick, not to mention the grab ruined the flow and got rid of plenty of potential for explosions. The ending just looked lazy and uncreative.
soi was good, except that I've seen that opener billions of times, and potential for better explosions.
opener to im not a legend was noice, but the floppy hip dm was floppy and bad. Uncreative in literally every aspect.
no

im sorry dad; what do you mean first kick, the one that hit uke or the first kick that dmed uke? the grab was intentionally was in a weird spot to grab uke, because my head got really close to his head and i wanted to move him into a postion to dm because i havent made or seen many replays in a postion like that, maybe because i havent checked any other replays or focused on the replay in videos. i didnt see many "explosions" to go for because i like cleaner replays that dont have a burst of joints everywhere every x amount of frames and this was my first attempt to actually go for something a littttle destructive. the ending was my favorite part because when i originally was making it i havent seen many other replays do something like that either, plus watching it again it seemed really unexpected and i like that sort of thing in replays. i do wish i could have gone a little more explosive with the last few dms though.

soi; youve probably seen that opener a billion times because thats a very old replay but one of my personal favorites of the hundreds ive made. the opener was something i thought i hadnt saw a lot because it had a very quick start to the manip. i also liked the mini manip i did because i was very close to uke and it wasnt that drastic ie him flying sky high. i liked the one explosion i did have because at the time it was the first time ive made uke explode with one of his joints from kicking it into my hand. personally if i kept getting dms after what i did or before what i did it would have looked way too rushed or dragged on too long with my ability to kick or punch uke

im not a legend; the floppy hip dm was there to make uke get into a position of the decap, i really dont like the hip dm is anything bad, although i really do think my leg wasnt bent enough before the dm to make the kick look like an actual kick rather than a "tap," i honestly probably could have found a better replay to put than that one but it was my most recent rushed replay and i didnt think it was all that bad. the objective of the replay was to keep spinning and moving and to make the replay look wicked, which i think it does look but alright whatever

i appreciate the comments and i guess ill make more
thanks
Originally Posted by Dscigs View Post
no

this looks and feels like a hate thing man. you're way too harsh imo. i'm gonna judge the app from my perspective but i don't think there's a chance of getting in since dscigs is a recruiter.

im sorry dad: i thought the opener was a little generic cuz but transitioned into really neat spins and i've always liked foot or fist taps against uke, but i do see 1 twitch where you contracted your right knee at like frame 380, btw really loving the acceleration on that spin starting at 370. couldn't see anything wrong with the grab, doesn't seem to stop your momentum or anything, its just a less than optimal boooooooooming spot, i've never had any luck getting a lot of dismemberments in that pososition, but like you know hwatefver. the double leg dm was alright, i mean its cool for continuing the replay fast, but it seems like there was a little less work done there than the start bit of the replay. like it looked good but you defs could've done something neater.

cat - soi: it looked good cept you know MANIPULATION REPLays. at first seemed like you were more focused on uke's spinnin than your own movement, but i don't know how much you can really move around upside down mid air. i personally like how the arms move during that but i feel like other people would condemn it for looking robotic and whatnot. i don't have anything to critique about the rest cuz it looks so good, like something out of an internet replay, i really love the leg boom thing it looks awesome.

little to say about im not a legend because hot damn them fast spins, i can't really find anything off about it other than some minor twitching issues, and honestly overall that seems to be your only problem, atleast in these replays, but i haven't seen your recent stuff so you might have fixed that idk

if you call me bias then remember that i denied cat once before and i was against the decision to let her in the first time she applied. dscig's cnc just seems unfair to me.
wow that
sucked