Toribash
I personally didn't like MW3, I didn't really enjoy the feel. After the first MW, I've preferred Treyarch's take on the CoD franchise. Blops/2 just felt better to me in comparison to MW2/3. I never really played WaW, except the demo. It was pretty cool, I was surprised when I shot some dude's leg off though. As for AW: I can't wait to play it. It has the customization of a normal CoD get and more mobility than titanfall (side dashes, ground "slams", that one this a guy did when someone was following behind him, he double jumped then thrust backwards). Its gonna be great.

What I don't understand is why did people call titanfall a rip off of halo and cod, but are now calling AW a rip off of titanfall and halo.....annoys the poop out of me

Are you an artist and want to make a decent amount of TC? Check out this thread.
Originally Posted by MegaCash View Post
What I don't understand is why did people call titanfall a rip off of halo and cod, but are now calling AW a rip off of titanfall and halo.....annoys the poop out of me

Cause they're pretty stupid.

I personally used to enjoy Ghosts before all the sniper patches that they added, because it makes snipers completely useless. Still play extinction from time to time though.
I also have high hopes for AW. Every single pro player I've seen is saying that AW is really good and balanced. On a good note, the first AW sniper triple was hit the other day It's going to be a good game hopefully.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
|Replay|ORMO|
Pro player as in MLG pro? Because most of those people are absolute morons when it comes to balance. Balance was gone from the games when they proportionally shrunk the maps in relationship to player size. SMGs are the god king overlords of all weapon classes since that happened. Adding increased mobility only increases the advantages SMGs have. If they don't counterbalance it by increasing map size, then it's going to stay imbalanced.

And if they want to fix their hitreg issues, literally, just remove weapon sway from ads and they will solve nearly 100% of the non-latency issues. Weapon sway is the buggiest feature in cod by a longshot.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Megacash: The whole "ripoff" idea is completely idiotic. Most people that say anything is a ripoff of anything have no idea what they're talking about. For example, AW was in the process of being created before Titanfall. People see a futuristic scenery and immediately think "OMG IT'S A COPY OF HALO AND TITANFALL OMG U SUK".

And I agree with you for the most part about Treyarch vs InfinityWard. Blops 2 has been the most balanced and competitive game so far. I will say, though, that Blops 1 had some major hit detection issues as well as map balance issues. Kinda hit or miss with me as far as TreyArch goes. It's like, Blops 2 was my favorite game, Blops 1 was one of my least favorites, and the Infinity Ward games lie in the middle.

Dscigs: I understand you're a big fan of the "trickshotting" community in CoD. I agree that the snipers are extremely imbalanced in Ghosts, which is why there are never montages on the game. All the snipers just went back to Blops 2. In AW there are very high scope-in times, which slows down the quickscopers, but there are also iron sight attachments for snipers which allow for much faster aiming. I think there will be trickshotting in the next game, though. Not that I know much about that community, but I have a strong feeling.

Oracle: From what I've seen of AW, it seems the bullet reg is very good. Better than I've seen out of a CoD. This may be due to the new engine, I'm not sure.

Most pro players will adapt to the map. The "balance" we're referring to is gun v gun, mostly. Like in the beginning of Ghosts, an MTAR-X could outgun the best assault rifle at long range. There's always small maps, and always big maps. The reason they most often use the smaller maps for competitive is because it causes for more action. Spectators drive the competitive scene and small maps cater to them.
ghosts was trash, was supposed to save my love of the franchise, but it just kicked CoD further into the grave.
the only good things to come out of ghosts was the legit all knife class, dropping your primary and secondary weapons and maxxing out the perks was awesome and iron sight snipers.
everything else about the game was trash.

AW will not be on my "to buy" list.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
I'm not talking about map size, I'm talking about proportions. As an example, look at CoD4 and MW2. The room to maneuver dropped heavily during that game. Sure there were some open areas and the like, but overall the proportions between player size and playable area dropped. CoD4 was the pinnacle of map layout and proportions, with Blops coming close with proportions.

To explain why this is an issue, when room to maneuver goes down and distances shrink, smgs get a massive advantage. They have smaller hipfire and higher movement speed as a class, crippled by reduced range. Well if you reduce the maximum range anybody can expect to fight in, range becomes a non-factor, removing the counterbalance to smgs extreme close-mid range power.

The balance of weapons has always been short-mid smg, midshort-midlong rifles, mid-long scopes. The optimal distance you'd want to create then is a mid range, with some crucial long range areas and crucial short areas. In addition, while you want to give smgs room to rush, you don't want their rushing to be worry free. SMGs were supposed to be a gamble weapon. You risk running as deep into enemy territory as you can to get into optimal range. When that range is non-existant, it gets it's rewards for none of the risk. Weapon stats are only half the equation. Map layout dictates which stats are actually useful.

Probably the best designed map to have ever came from cod is backlot from CoD4, sans the mounted mgs. It would take me ages to explain everything, but the major reason for it is that every position favors a weapon, but they are inherently weak in that position because an adjacent position favors a different weapon. An smg playground in the construction area is kept in check by rifles from mid and scopes from apartments, while they themselves are kept in check by smg rush points adjacent to them, which in turn can be covered by rifles, which in turn are vulnerable to scopes, and so on. Every place has it's rewards and risks for each class, and they are all marvelously balanced by the flow and layout of the map. No one weapon is dominant across the map.
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
I'm not talking about map size, I'm talking about proportions. As an example, look at CoD4 and MW2. The room to maneuver dropped heavily during that game. Sure there were some open areas and the like, but overall the proportions between player size and playable area dropped. CoD4 was the pinnacle of map layout and proportions, with Blops coming close with proportions.

To explain why this is an issue, when room to maneuver goes down and distances shrink, smgs get a massive advantage. They have smaller hipfire and higher movement speed as a class, crippled by reduced range. Well if you reduce the maximum range anybody can expect to fight in, range becomes a non-factor, removing the counterbalance to smgs extreme close-mid range power.

The balance of weapons has always been short-mid smg, midshort-midlong rifles, mid-long scopes. The optimal distance you'd want to create then is a mid range, with some crucial long range areas and crucial short areas. In addition, while you want to give smgs room to rush, you don't want their rushing to be worry free. SMGs were supposed to be a gamble weapon. You risk running as deep into enemy territory as you can to get into optimal range. When that range is non-existant, it gets it's rewards for none of the risk. Weapon stats are only half the equation. Map layout dictates which stats are actually useful.

Probably the best designed map to have ever came from cod is backlot from CoD4, sans the mounted mgs. It would take me ages to explain everything, but the major reason for it is that every position favors a weapon, but they are inherently weak in that position because an adjacent position favors a different weapon. An smg playground in the construction area is kept in check by rifles from mid and scopes from apartments, while they themselves are kept in check by smg rush points adjacent to them, which in turn can be covered by rifles, which in turn are vulnerable to scopes, and so on. Every place has it's rewards and risks for each class, and they are all marvelously balanced by the flow and layout of the map. No one weapon is dominant across the map.

Is Backlot the map with the crashed helicopter? If so, that map is fantastic, I only played it in splitscreen with friends but shiet....it was great. That one map, I forgot what it was called, that is EXTREMELY small and with cargo boxes, I actually played it online a few weeks ago, it was so crazy
Last edited by Leaf; Aug 20, 2014 at 09:15 PM.

Are you an artist and want to make a decent amount of TC? Check out this thread.
The crashed helicopter map is Crash, and it is also an extremely well-designed map. It's right alongside Backlot in design. In pure competitive sense, both are great maps because Backlot only slightly favors defense, and Crash is near perfect in balance. Backlot is a more rifle/scope friendly map, while Crash is a more smg friendly map.

CoD4 probably had the best overall map design out of all. Some were complete shit, but there were 6 that weren't game-breakingly horrible. In order of most to least shit of competitive maps: Vacant/Crossfire, District, Strike, Backlot/Crash. The first two were playable, but heavily favored one point to attack, starved one weapon type, and favored one side to win. District was heavy defense favor, but had decent coverage of weapon favorability. Strike was really balanced, but was a bit too open for some people's tastes, giving smgs some trouble in being useful. And then the near perfect maps of Crash and Backlot.
BenDover: Ghosts actually didn't have iron sight snipers. They had the marksman rifles which allowed iron sights, but not the snipers. I will agree, though. Ghosts was garbage. Don't let Infinity Ward's mistake keep you from buying SledgeHammer's first try. I think AW is going to be one of the best, if not the best CoD yet.

Oracle: I think you're looking at the maps in a public match standpoint, correct? As in 6v6 where everything in the game is allowed? In that case, I can understand your point very clearly. Unless you're playing with people you know and that know how to strategize, you're going to get rushed by SMG's on a lot of maps. The contrary to that is that if you're playing "competitive" CoD with the weapon and equipment restrictions, as well as 4v4 instead of 6v6, it's a different game. No matter how small or how SMG dominant a map is, there is always a place to fit in an Assault Rifle to hold down a lane. Even in the map Megacash was talking about, Shipment. Known as the smallest, and most chaotic and sub dominant map in the game, it still has room for AR's. The crates are laid out in a grid pattern, so you can hold down an entire lane with an AR (particularly the lane with the highest traffic) while the subs run through the other lanes, clear them out, and then push through and slay the rest.

When you get down into the 4v4 competitive scene, there's usually 3 competitive gametypes and 5 or so competitive maps. Most often, the gametypes have been Domination, Capture the Flag, and Search and Destroy. Each gametype is played differently. Like in Domination you'll find more SMG's at the start of the game to get the middle flag and establish position, and once you get the middle flag you'll have a few people pull out AR's to hold cuts and defend the flag. In Capture the Flag, you'll again most often see SMG's off the start in order to slay out and make an effort to get the enemy's flag. Once you have the flag, however, someone who died trying to get the flag could pull out an AR before they respawn and watch over the flag runner from a long distance in order to more safely guide him back to your home. SnD, as you probably know, is much different. This is the only gametype where weapons like snipers and shotguns are used very frequently in competitive, because you only need to kill the guy once in that round, so you're not going to run into multiple situations where you're stuck close range with a sniper or long range with shotgun. SnD is all about holding cuts, which is most often used with a sniper or AR, regardless of the map. Maps do not dictate weapon choice in general when you're referring to SnD. Which you still have people running SMG's to rush up and catch people off guard, and people running LMG's to hold cuts and prefire through walls to check if people are planting the bomb and such.

My point is that public matches are very random and I have a hard time seeing why anyone would play the game if all they played were public matches. I personally cannot stand playing them for more than a few games at a time.
I ain't talking about public matches. I spent a good 3 years playing competitive CoD4 on PC, and the mode of choice is 5v5 Search and Destroy on promod (which functions with a 1 scope per team, 2-3 smgs depending on level of competition and which side of the pond, 1 shotty and infinite rifles). Even with strategy, certain weapons would control certain maps. This doesn't mean the other weapons were useless, but certain weapons will have a much greater impact, and you can tell whether a team is doing well on the map by the performance of those weapons. On a SMG favored map, if the SMGs are doing poorly on one team, that team is almost 100% of the time losing.

Crossfire was notoriously among smg players as the absolute worst map to play on as smg, as the strategy for it is always run headlong through the smoke grenades and hope you aren't stop naded or pre-fired, while every scope player would throw their hands in the air and cry "Hallelujah".

Meanwhile Vacant was notorious among rifle players as "that map where you spend 2 minutes staring down a hallway" because you'll either get shot out in the open by a scope or gunned down routinely by a smg. SMG players would cry tears of joy if it were still in the Euro map rotation.

And Backlot is one of those rare maps where the scopes routinely would play as a rifle instead because the amount of walls that are penetrable on that map, combined with the juxtaposition of close quarters spots for long range vantage, made scopeing risky. Meanwhile actual rifle players would scream to the heavens, for this was one of their sole maps to shine in.

There's a reason why I say certain maps are more beneficial for certain classes, and it's because I've played at least a year in each position (scope, rifle, and smg) competitively. Smoke grenades and set nades are much more common in competitive, so rushing is harder, camping is harder, and covering choke points is much, much harder. However, certain classes still pull ahead. No matter how many smokes cover the street on Crossfire, scopes still hold supreme because they have huge range and great vantage. No matter how many stop nades you throw on Vacant, SMGs will dominate the bathroom/cabinets area, thus controlling map rotation. No matter how much smoke and nades you throw, there are just too many spots on Backlot for rifles.