Toribash
P.S. the thermal paste that comes on the heatsinks usually sucks. We used that for a friends and when we replaced it it lower almost 20 degrees Celsius
<Shlimby> lol, no Ad, just stop seeing those melons
<ADTerminal> Sure
<Shlimby> and dont take them into ur bed at night
<ADTerminal> But it's where I keep them warm
Agreed, arctic silver is amazing. Its the only stuff I like to use. Just be careful with it because it actually does contain silver so it does conduct a bit
<ADTerminal> Sure
thnx for the advice guyz, going to check on the price of this thermal paste now.

First of all, I found some better DDR2 RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231283
Also, the seagate barracuda 7200.13 was out of stock so im using the 7200.12 instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231283

All of the remaining parts have been ordered, and should arrive tommorow or the day after.
Last edited by DarkJak; Jun 13, 2010 at 06:01 AM. Reason: double post
Originally Posted by Shlimby View Post
P.S. the thermal paste that comes on the heatsinks usually sucks. We used that for a friends and when we replaced it it lower almost 20 degrees Celsius

Gonna go ahead and say you mounted it wrong the first time, or you're flat out lying. Stock thermal compound->AS5 often times wont yield any difference at all.

Originally Posted by Shlimby View Post
Agreed, arctic silver is amazing. Its the only stuff I like to use. Just be careful with it because it actually does contain silver so it does conduct a bit

AS5 isn't electrically conductive.
<Tapion> Salmon is nice fish
Originally Posted by sprooj View Post
Gonna go ahead and say you mounted it wrong the first time, or you're flat out lying. Stock thermal compound->AS5 often times wont yield any difference at all.

AS5 isn't electrically conductive.

He's right for the most part, at least from what I can tell from my personal experience.
My Asus laptop used to have overheating problems during the summer of 2008 (to the point of shutdown, while gaming). The stock thermal compound seemed like a really poor quality material and it got almost as hard as stone.
I had to scratch it out using some alcohol and a screwdriver with maximum care. As soon as I removed it completely (from both my CPU and GPU) I then applied some AC MX-2 . The result: never had problems with overheating again, not a single time.

Stock thermal compound often have minimal quality. I don't recommend it, if you can use a more trusted product, then do it.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Jun 9, 2010 at 04:13 AM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
I admit, I was tired when I posted it, hence why I said it was conductive. I screwed up thermal and electrical conductivity in my head. And the stock thermal paste has been crappy even in my previous builds. This one had the biggest temp difference though.
<ADTerminal> Sure
Originally Posted by GenkiSudo View Post
He's right for the most part, at least from what I can tell from my personal experience.
My Asus laptop used to have overheating problems during the summer of 2008 (to the point of shutdown, while gaming). The stock thermal compound seemed like a really poor quality material and it got almost as hard as stone.
I had to scratch it out using some alcohol and a screwdriver with maximum care. As soon as I removed it completely (from both my CPU and GPU) I then applied some AC MX-2 . The result: never had problems with overheating again, not a single time.

Stock thermal compound often have minimal quality. I don't recommend it, if you can use a more trusted product, then do it.

Working, as in not dried out, stock thermal paste is fine.
<Tapion> Salmon is nice fish
Originally Posted by sprooj View Post
Working, as in not dried out, stock thermal paste is fine.

Most of them are silicon based, hence have the tendency to dry out pretty sooner and have lower performance.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi