Ranking
Originally Posted by AlphasoniK View Post
The whole part is to make something YOU made right?
Why would you use work of someone else then?

you need to realise that the majority of the texturing art that gets done is for requests. if you C&P and the "client" likes it, then there really is no issue.

In my eyes, there's only ONE thing important: Your OWN style.

not many new artists can claim to have "their own style" nowadays. the majority of established artists have claimed a style to themselves.
mrama and his dj stuff
etc etc etc.

in the end, the ONLY thing that matters to "clients" is the end result. they set a price at the start of the request, and if they like something, they cant say "o well its copy paste im not paying that much now"

you can put as much of "your own stuff" into your personal sets, because it YOUR set.

i think this thread is gna start serious bullshit in the request boards now.
they started off by saying they'll pay according to quality "oh i like that, but its not that good so il only pay X amount"
now we're gna have
"O LOL 100K REQUEST SO AWESOME"
"100k for completly amazing"
"50-75k for a good set"
"20k if its copy paste"

complete bullshit if you ask me. its just gna degrade and degrade. unending process. this thread has just made it all official.
DOWN WITH THE MARKET yay...
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
i don't remember when , but once kitfox said in his texture set request topic :
I don't care if you use brush sets, I don't care how you get it done, just make it look nice.

'who cares how you get it done , just make it look nice'

look at this : http://www.noelshack.com/up/aac/saty...ebe6a66322.png
^at the left , mrama's set , at the right , mrama's set i edited , only by doing copy/paste and some contrast modifications.
i approve what kitfox said, only the outcome counts , fuck the rest.
I guess I fit in Darkjak's third category. I feel that what I made was art. It took skill to do what I did. Just different skill. but still I used my skills to produce something. That is what art is to me. Now that is different from plagiarism. If you use the source images when enough and make it mesh together to make a decent head that in my opinion takes skill and is acceptable. If you find a texture map and map it that is more to the side of skilless. So that isn't okay. But you cannot convince me that my work shouldn't make me proud. You can't convince me that I am not an artist. The time thing you guys were discussing is a factor. But also, I was working om my texturing skills while I was c/p'ing. So the lack of skill was a part of it too. anyways, this shouldn't be a big deal as long as everything is done to a degree of being aesthetically pleasant.

~TomPaine
(C/P Guru)
PigeonHive Flap Buzz
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
you need to realise that the majority of the texturing art that gets done is for requests. if you C&P and the "client" likes it, then there really is no issue.

not many new artists can claim to have "their own style" nowadays. the majority of established artists have claimed a style to themselves.
mrama and his dj stuff
etc etc etc.

in the end, the ONLY thing that matters to "clients" is the end result. they set a price at the start of the request, and if they like something, they cant say "o well its copy paste im not paying that much now"

you can put as much of "your own stuff" into your personal sets, because it YOUR set.

i think this thread is gna start serious bullshit in the request boards now.
they started off by saying they'll pay according to quality "oh i like that, but its not that good so il only pay X amount"
now we're gna have
"O LOL 100K REQUEST SO AWESOME"
"100k for completly amazing"
"50-75k for a good set"
"20k if its copy paste"

complete bullshit if you ask me. its just gna degrade and degrade. unending process. this thread has just made it all official.
DOWN WITH THE MARKET yay...

That's bullshit. There are endless ways of drawing something.

Also, you seem to think I hate C/P'ers, but I am completely fine with it of they
cut out a certain piece of a picture and use it on a texture. What I do hate is
when people put a lot of work in something (including the source images) and someone
else just grabs it, mirrors it, slaps it on a texture, maybe alter it a bit, and sell
it for big money.

I do agree on what you said about C/P textures decreasing in value.
People shouldnt pay less if it's C/P, but I think they should say if they allow it
in their request.
Fr3styL . Improving by Improvising
I'm an artist.
Originally Posted by justanotheracc View Post
i don't remember when , but once kitfox said in his texture set request topic :
I don't care if you use brush sets, I don't care how you get it done, just make it look nice.

'who cares how you get it done , just make it look nice'

look at this : http://www.noelshack.com/up/aac/saty...ebe6a66322.png
^at the left , mrama's set , at the right , mrama's set i edited , only by doing copy/paste and some contrast modifications.
i approve what kitfox said, only the outcome counts , fuck the rest.

Well kitfox was an individual requester who clearly stated what he wanted.

On "just make it look nice"...

A LOT of c/p I've seen has had WAY too much detail. Not enough depth either, as in added shadows and enhanced highlights. For aspiring copy pasters, only use what you need to get the job done. Have a goal in mind. For example, if you are making a robot head and need a vent, use only the vent you find, don't include the background too. Then, you get accurate shading, personalized styles, and less clutter.

btw, couldn't help but notice you mirrored mrama's legs and feet. Nice job, but my real question is: Why weren't those already mirrored? D:
(I think any set more than 100k should at least have proper mirroring)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Also, you seem to think I hate C/P'ers

i wasnt actually refering to you when i posted that, you were actually faaaaaar away from my train of thought :P
and i wasnt refering to selling your stuff. i was talking about response to your work, which you get plenty of btw :P
i was refering to people posting their work in say, the art/videos board, which is good, really class stuff, but it doesnt get any recognition from the public.
making a thread and it gets 120 views befor it dies, while some crap other thread gets 450 views and 40 replies in the same amount of time.

What I do hate is when people put a lot of work in something (including the source images) and someone
else just grabs it, mirrors it, slaps it on a texture, maybe alter it a bit, and sell
it for big money.

Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
remember, the request isnt about you, its about the "client".
"better" people lose out all the time in real life, its just how things go

Last edited by BenDover; Feb 7, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-