Toribash
There's no lighting per se :P all GI, only use lights for certain things like shadows and highlights (which aren't that important). I'm not making these to be totally perfect, these are for a far less high-horse forum when it comes to art. I'm competing with google here, come on...

also, YOURS LOOKS ROUND SO STFU!

Originally Posted by aerox21 View Post
Bawwwwww I made a sword

http://aerox21.deviantart.com/art/Katana-312821709

I think that adding a small stripe of an less reflective material along the edge/blade would solve this problem, you know, the actually sharpened part of the sword.
Did you enable a max. angle for the phong shading btw?

Originally Posted by Deridor View Post

This

Proportions of guard/handle don't seem right to me. Is it one-handed? Or 2-handed?
Grip could use more detail/structure in comparison to the guard anyway

Originally Posted by Deridor View Post
This

Stylish, really. The purple part might be a bit too thin to be stable enough, but I can't really judge that.

Gj guys
DeviantArt (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Warning: Removal of the attached label is punishable by instant death.
Wiirus, Like these?

pic #1

Pic #2

Pic #3

They any better?

Here's what I did.
I added subsurface scattering for smoothness. This resulted in a ugly end of handle, so I added a stopper there. Subsurface scattering also made that connector piece between blade and handle look fugly, so I sculpted and edited it into that shape.
And changed the materials a bit.
Want to join GATA?Apply here
Free textures
Originally Posted by aerox21 View Post
Wiirus, Like these?

They any better?

Here's what I did.
I added subsurface scattering for smoothness. This resulted in a ugly end of handle, so I added a stopper there. Subsurface scattering also made that connector piece between blade and handle look fugly, so I sculpted and edited it into that shape.
And changed the materials a bit.

Uuuh, SSS is usually used for surfaces like Milk, wax or the human skin which show a certain transparency/translucency. But I guess that's fine if it works here.
The guard seems to have some weird smoothed geometry parts where it's squished a bit.

Lemme post it:

>

But nice work nonetheless, I forgot to say
Last edited by wiirus; Jul 6, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
DeviantArt (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Warning: Removal of the attached label is punishable by instant death.
The swords looks great deridor, tho overly simplified. Try to make one where you have to step outside your comfort zone :P
Originally Posted by wiirus View Post
Proportions of guard/handle don't seem right to me. Is it one-handed? Or 2-handed?
Grip could use more detail/structure in comparison to the guard anyway

It's meant to be a wakizashi, so yes one handed. I make my blades roughly to scale in blender (1 BU=1 inch), but scaling gets all fudged up when I toss them in c4d, where I usually make the handles (boole ftw XD). I'll likely do some more complicated swords in the future, but these are meant as fanart in a way for an anime, so complexity isn't a big deal. also, the guard is just a star with some fancy inwards extrusion :P.

To make handles (most recently anyways, the way I made the handles for both swords above) is to make 2 cylinders via extrude nurbs at the base of the guard and set them as roughly to scale as possible. I make one larger radially and give it a black leather material (unless asked otherwise, though I have yet to need to use a different mat). I then take a cube, scale it down to a decent size, rotate it 45 degrees relative to the blade, and stretch 4 vertices so it is more of a diamond shape. Then I simply copy and place it along the handle before tossing it into a boole with the larger handle cylinder. I make sure to give the "core" of the handle a nice material too :P. For the purple sword above, I gave the core the same slightly reflective slightly luminant material you see on the guard (which is different from the center of the blade, which has a gradient to affect its brightness, it's brighter in luminancy towards the tip, which makes it a bit closer to a pink than the original color, (153/50/255).

TL;DR=fuck you

I think maybe you guys are making the sword to "fat", or the angle to the edge to extreme. Maybe this will explain it better:
<Crooked> I'd say spartan, cause if he's tough enough to digest ungodly amounts of alcohol he clearly has the best body