Toribash
Your Void and Custom Belt still remain, which look pretty good. You might not impress people with your skills, but surely your fancy Tori will. Maybe not as much, but it's still pretty cool.

I suggest we agree to disagree on this case haha.

Though the main point is that in the end you'll have more fun. It certainly feels good when you activate your badass Vampire 'n Demon combination even though it's only about appearance.

Looking back to my main point here; it is still just appearance, and yes it can look good but IMO you have to be skilled so that everyone doesn't laugh at you ingame resulting in your self-esteem going down.

True, in real life belt measures your skill, but notice that it is in real life.
It is true that the more you play the better you'll be, but some people learn faster than others. I have been beaten many, many times by people who have lower belt than mine, and not only by luck. The best example for this would be shook who is a green belt but still a superb player.
Selling Qi just adds to this. I don't think that not having Qi sales would make this that much different - there's not that many people who buy Qi, after all.

My point was that in real life you need to have a certain amount of knowledge and practical skill to advance to the "next level" e.g in this case a better belt. But in toribash (a game in real life but still just a game) you can buy this new belt unlike in real-life martial arts. You simply won't become good enough with just a few hundred games. If you meet a very talented green belt it must be that he has an alt/alts. You have to know your example of shook isn't applicable. He's a long time player with numerous matches behind, but for some reason he isn't having the qi he has earned earlier, on this account. To bring up a new point, I'm ok with buying qi as long as you've fought roughly as many matches as the total amount of your qi will be with its former and now added qi.

In Toribash, you advance through the amount of matches you play. In real life (note: there's damn many martial arts, I just checked jiu-jitsu), at least in the lower rank belts there's experienced people watching you until you're eligible enough for the next belt. I don't know about Black Belt and above.

As it would take too much resources to individually supervise each player's development we must use the second best option, which is the amount of matches played which largely defines your skill.

Also, you don't necessarily need to be good in the game. You can have a friend playing with you or you can play the mods... There's a lot of things to do in Toribash.

Um.. Yea, but I think this is past the conversation now. Qi has no virtual application outside ingame.

also, I laughed at the Habbo Hotel reference

Last edited by Jire; Jun 21, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
If you meet a very talented green belt it must be that he has an alt/alts. You have to know your example of shook isn't applicable. He's a long time player with numerous matches behind, but for some reason he isn't having the qi he has earned earlier, on this account.
I have known shook for a while and he got his skills by playing in single player. The point is that you can get better without playing multiplayer and gaining Qi.
It's true that most of the talented low belts are most likely alts, but don't generalize. There still are people who actually are talented in the game.

To bring up a new point, I'm ok with buying qi as long as you've fought roughly as many matches as the total amount of your qi will be with its former and now added qi.
Isn't this at least partially what we've been arguing about for a while now? :p

As it would take too much resources to individually supervise each player's development we must use the second best option, which is the amount of matches played which largely defines your skill.
Yeah, there is no other choice that would be better than the current system here. It's not like I'm complaining about it.
But again, some people learn faster than others. Belts still don't define skills that good.
I have been beaten with skills by a lot of people that had lower belt than me, but I also have seen high belt people (Black Belt - 10th Dan) who really suck in this game. Either by using only a small set of starters in-game without thinking about anything else, playing no-skill mods... or just plainly being bad. Or all of them together.