Toribash
Originally Posted by m0o View Post
So, I'm just wondering what your stance is on the use of guides and walkthroughs, particularly during someones first run of a game.

I've noticed it happening more and more (in the past it would be passed by word of mouth and from nintendopower or something and even further back there were no guides), and in fact I've noticed people relying on guides for very basic games.

Frankly I think it kills the gaming experience and using a guide, even for completion sake is total aids.

I use them after the first run, depending on what the game has to offer after you finish it. For huge games like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, I used a guide after my first run and I know have read so much about the game that I can literally do anything and everything, I fucking pwn that game now. But with simple games like Mario Kart Wii and shit like that the only thing you would need to look up is the requirements for unlocking shit. But yeah, really depends on how complex the game is and what kind of options you are given. For games were you just follow the storyline, no deviations or different endings then there is really no need aside from unlocks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
During the first run it destroys all the fun to me. I'll only check them if I'm REALLY REALLY STUCK AND HAVE BEEN FOR A FEW DAYS AND HOURS OF GOING ABOUT.

^
I also only use cheats after i beat the game
Clearly this is an alt.
Fuck yeah
Why would you need a guide for your second/third/etc runthroughs? :|

I only use them if I want to unlock some bonus content that would otherwise take ages to get (aka: if you have to find 50 things dotted about to get some cool unlock I'd use a guide). Or if a game just pisses me off and I just get bored with the challenge presented and simply want to continue (normally it's just me being blind and missing blatantly obvious stuff).
:D
I had to use a guide in Mass Effect, made sure not to miss any items. I finished once and now it's all full of dust on my bookshelf.
Last edited by sid; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:34 PM.
Originally Posted by Blam View Post
Why would you need a guide for your second/third/etc runthroughs? :|

Because guides usually point out things you might miss. Easter eggs etc.
~#025, reporting in.~
alpha u get mah babiez<3

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I used to get those big thick game guide books all the time. I never really used them WHILE playing the game though, I always just read them to pass the time like a bigger version of the game booklet included with the game.

These days, those small game booklets pretty much do it for me and there isn't really a point in paying fifteen bucks for something that I don't really want.