Toribash
I'm sorry if you think it's a waste of space... but I'm more sorry that you haven't even tried playing it. The waste of time you spent on your rant could have been constructively used to actually load this up and try it out.

No, this isn't basketball or fighting over a helicopter... and personally I think those kinds of things are very limited in game play. They have their place because they are novel, but no replay value.

Aikido, Judo... these are classic games that don't have special features like walls or chairs. But people come back to these games again and again because they offer replay value.

That's what I created here. A game you can play again and again. I tested it. I measured the distances and the gravity and ring size. All the create a balance between two factors. But you wouldn't know that because you haven't played. You dismiss it out of hand because it doesn't have a freaking bicycle in it.

Save your words. Until you've actually played this with some decent people you won't get it. Yes, I changed the basic rules. No I didn't add any objects. And although I'm still trying to hack a way to start in different stances I doubt that would change your opinion.

So play ir or stfu, your opinion doesn't matter if you can't back it up with play-testing. As for be a professional, I'll look up your mods.
-----
WOW.

I have to apologize to you TRichard21. I played your two latest uploaded mods and here are my mini reviews:

mg_treeclimber.tbm

This is like an amazing mixture of Disney's Tarzan and a badly art designed treehouse. The mod starts with you being jumped in to a long tree limb, that you can basically rail glide to a lower section. Then you can use your hands to grip the tree and start climbing up! Amazing!

I can't say much for it's combat worthiness. Uke doesn't start with a jump or even any place to move to as far as I can tell. The only points I scored were from Uke falling over.

Oh, and I forgot the best part. There's a ball that's rolling.

mg_pk_bars.tbm

This one really moves the entire game forward about six generations. You aren't taking little steps here, no, you go full on Olympics. Between Uke and Tori are ... monkey bars. Mind you they aren't very easy to get to but you'll have a bunch of fun try to jump up to them! Luckily the amount of time in this game is very very very long... otherwise you'd never get to your opponent. I'm looking forward to my long and tedious waits in queue to play my opponents on some random server!!

So two thumbs up. I really blew it here. You're top notch. I'm just glad you set me straight on bothering to play test in live servers and get people's opinions on my mod... er ... disk filler.

BTW, just so you don't look too much like an idiot... you should know that depending on how the disk was formated, your mod takes up the exact same amount of space mine does... which is basically nothing. (On my local disk 4K or .000001% of my total disk drive.)
Last edited by neoliminal; Dec 30, 2010 at 03:49 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Yeah, I'm working on the Mixed Martial Arts Mod. MMA11
Try it already!
I was alittle too straight foward on what I was trying to say , for that i do apologize bud .

you are on the right path , keep at it . Be creative .

Oh i have a few tips for you that I use

- Make a list of colors in note pad , the best way is to look at some colors in different mods and check them out in there file

ex: color 0 0 -1 ( black)

color 0.6 0.2 -0.1 1 ( brown )

color 0.85882352941176470588235294117647 0.85882352941176470588235294117647 0.85882352941176470588235294117647 ( silver /white)

and so on

get to know what flag for objects and make a list aswell

ex : flag 24 ( cannot grab , object stays as put )
flag 8 ( garbable , object stays as put )

browse around , hope this helps
Originally Posted by TRichard21 View Post
I was alittle too straight foward on what I was trying to say , for that i do apologize bud .

you are on the right path , keep at it . Be creative .

Thank you. I was probably too harsh as well.

I have a serious question for you.

Is it better to try and improve upon Chess by changing the rules or is it better to create something completely different on an 8x8 board?

(PS I'm on a Mac, I use Komodo Edit. I've done 3D modeling in Lightwave and have create numerous games. I'll tell you more if you answer my question.)
Try it already!
changing the rules in chess would not help improve your tactics and game play .It is better too focus on a specific style of game than change how it is played in order to be better.
Become skilled at other games that are played along the style of chess. I myself have tried many others and as a resault , Ive became very skilled in tactics

Creating a totaly new board game would be interesting to do tho
Originally Posted by manowar123 View Post
this is cool but it takes to much time to put the settings in but i did and it was awesome

You can type:

/lm mma4.tbm
in the command line (what you get when you hit return... where you would normally chat in a server online.)

This should load the mod without having to type in the code.

Failing that you can click on Mods in the top menu. The mod in on the front page you can find the mod. Download it and put it in your toribash/mod folder and you can load it from there.

I've been able to load it after creating a server so I know it's in the site... but you need to load it first, I guess.

Oh, and right below this is my sig is link to it... you can just download it from there.
-----
Originally Posted by TRichard21 View Post
changing the rules in chess would not help improve your tactics and game play .It is better too focus on a specific style of game than change how it is played in order to be better.
Become skilled at other games that are played along the style of chess. I myself have tried many others and as a resault , Ive became very skilled in tactics

Creating a totaly new board game would be interesting to do tho

Chess is a classic, but it's not the same as it was when it first migrated from India. For example, the Queen wasn't invented until the 1500s. Castling is a fairly new invention too, before there was a move called a "King's Leap" that allowed the first move was a two pace leap.

As time goes by, games change to fit people's preferences.

Hopefully this modification to the basic rules will be enjoyable and people will play it. Maybe I'll start a few tournaments to get people into the game.
Last edited by neoliminal; Dec 30, 2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Try it already!
After playing the mod further,

Have you tried flagging certain body parts (like the head) so they are unable to be grabbed by the opponent?

That way, striking and keeping your distance would be a viable tactic against someone who is primarily trying to grab and push you outside of the dojo from the start of the match, ensuring that a balance between striking and grappling would be required to win most matches.
Pirate: smilies, your textures kick so much ass

<~ClockworkMonkey> sometimes, you don't try really hard and things just work out

Originally Posted by Smilies2 View Post
After playing the mod further,

Have you tried flagging certain body parts (like the head) so they are unable to be grabbed by the opponent?

That way, striking and keeping your distance would be a viable tactic against someone who is primarily trying to grab and push you outside of the dojo from the start of the match, ensuring that a balance between striking and grappling would be required to win most matches.

This is great idea. I'll play around with the concept and see how it develops. Other things I'm considering:

• Adding the fracture script that fractures everything down the tree from where the fracture (a shoulder fracture would keep your elbow and wrist from working and would release any grab)

• Make fractures slightly harder.

• Increase scoring for head hits.

• Disable Dismemberment.

• Optionally thinking about DQ timer for possible DW in the ring to avoid turtling if you got an early lead. Something like 55 so you would have one chance at the end of game time when it would most likely happen.

Love the ideas!
Try it already!
Originally Posted by neoliminal View Post
This is great idea. I'll play around with the concept and see how it develops. Other things I'm considering:

• Adding the fracture script that fractures everything down the tree from where the fracture (a shoulder fracture would keep your elbow and wrist from working and would release any grab)

• Make fractures slightly harder.

• Increase scoring for head hits.

• Disable Dismemberment.

• Optionally thinking about DQ timer for possible DW in the ring to avoid turtling if you got an early lead. Something like 55 so you would have one chance at the end of game time when it would most likely happen.

Love the ideas!

Fractures slightly harder? In MMA the only time you can fracture is a extremely powerful hit or being submitted, not much besides that, fracturing should be very difficult, I agree with head hits, maybe a slightly lower gravity so it would be easier to defend your face at all times.
SemiSarim
Originally Posted by SemiSarim View Post
Fractures slightly harder? In MMA the only time you can fracture is a extremely powerful hit or being submitted, not much besides that, fracturing should be very difficult, I agree with head hits, maybe a slightly lower gravity so it would be easier to defend your face at all times.

The fracture is already pretty high... I just plan to tweak it a little higher. I may also tweak the neck to be a KO trigger, cuasing the whole body to go limp if it's fractured... so it might have a different fracture rating. This would work particularly well is you couldn't grab the head.
Try it already!