Toribash
Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
motivation is a construct and an excuse for not wanting to do something

well if u dont want to do something u need a reason to want to do it
thats what motivation is
everythings a construct
but if you still don't want to do it, you're just forcing yourself to do it, and even if you manage to successfully motivate yourself then you're just convincing yourself of wanting to do it and therefore you now want to do it, there's a shift in intention, you still either want to do something or you don't, motivation is out of the picture because the human desire to action is binary, to want something is binary, grey areas on this are self-deceit and meant to be muddied, such as a sense of duty, moral responsibility, and such. Not to be taken in a reductionist approach though
but if you still don't want to do it, you're just forcing yourself to do it, and even if you manage to successfully motivate yourself then you're just convincing yourself of wanting to do it and therefore you now want to do it, there's a shift in intention, you still either want to do something or you don't, motivation is out of the picture because the human desire to action is binary, to want something is binary, grey areas on this are self-deceit and meant to be muddied, such as a sense of duty, moral responsibility, and such. Not to be taken in a reductionist approach though

is human desire to action really binary though
think about it
you want to go steal a stop sign
but you also don't want to face the consequences of stealing said stop sign.
and in this case, let's say you don't steal the stop sign
but thinking again, that stop sign is so cool, and my roommate would really like that stop sign on our wall.
so now you steal the stop sign, since you justified doing this thing in your head via another reason.
the other reason, in most cases, is the motivation. your motivation to steal the stop sign was your roommate liking it, otherwise you wouldn't have done it.
makes sense yeah
Originally Posted by Melon View Post
is human desire to action really binary though
think about it
you want to go steal a stop sign
but you also don't want to face the consequences of stealing said stop sign.
and in this case, let's say you don't steal the stop sign
but thinking again, that stop sign is so cool, and my roommate would really like that stop sign on our wall.
so now you steal the stop sign, since you justified doing this thing in your head via another reason.
the other reason, in most cases, is the motivation. your motivation to steal the stop sign was your roommate liking it, otherwise you wouldn't have done it.
makes sense yeah

if you want to steal the stop sign but don't do it you're repressing yourself because of an external force, unless you yourself have a genuine change of heart, the fact remains that you do want to steal it, it is fundamentally binary, justification has nothing to do with wanting or not wanting to do something, incentives don't have anything to do with wanting or not wanting to do something.

Take to want as if in a petri dish, that's the context I'm arguing, it's not linked to any third-party aspect, just the primitive desire to either want or not, not linked to the action of doing or not, not linked to the reasoning behind it, just wanting or not wanting.

To finish, I find that, speaking in an apparently objectivist manner, justification, reasoning, and motivation, is self-deceit, just you telling yourself things that appease your feelings on your actions.

this is semantics, absolutely all my opinion, not discrediting anyone, and I don't think it will lead to anything fruitful though
if you want to steal the stop sign but don't do it you're repressing yourself because of an external force, unless you yourself have a genuine change of heart, the fact remains that you do want to steal it, it is fundamentally binary, justification has nothing to do with wanting or not wanting to do something, incentives don't have anything to do with wanting or not wanting to do something.

Take to want as if in a petri dish, that's the context I'm arguing, it's not linked to any third-party aspect, just the primitive desire to either want or not, not linked to the action of doing or not, not linked to the reasoning behind it, just wanting or not wanting.

To finish, I find that, speaking in an apparently objectivist manner, justification, reasoning, and motivation, is self-deceit, just you telling yourself things that appease your feelings on your actions.

this is semantics, absolutely all my opinion, not discrediting anyone, and I don't think it will lead to anything fruitful though

but if u want to do something because of the incentive provided, you still want to do that thing, i forgot what the discussion was about but we're on to something here.
fade i ej*culated

Originally Posted by Melon View Post
but if u want to do something because of the incentive provided, you still want to do that thing, i forgot what the discussion was about but we're on to something here.

yes