Toribash
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
So apparently melee carries can't be AP

TIL

AD melee carries can't be AD, because we're talking about AD melee carries and not AP melee. Not every champion that can carry is a carry. You can carry with full tank maokai. Carry champions are the primary dps of the team. Kassadin and Ekko are rarely the main dps of the team if ever.

The only real AP focused melee(hahaha no) carry I can think of is Kayle, and Kayle builds on-hit instead of straight AP.

The last true AP melee carry was AP tryndamere. You can disagree all you want, but Kassadin is an assassin that does a lot of frontloaded burst damage. Talon fits a similar niche, but for the fact that Talon can quite literally 1v5 if fed.

Originally Posted by Holotor View Post
TIL that too, plus apparently a fed Riven isn't scary at all and easily shut down to let the enemy team freely catchup (apparently the 4 other guys on Riven's team are afk ^.^)

Hyde they're called "carries" for a reason. They carry games.

I can hardcarry with AP Rengar. That doesn't change rengar's role from assassin to carry. I can go full AD thresh and carry a game. Still not a carry.

Fed Riven is as scary as she's allowed to be. She went from being one of my most hated lane opponents to being one of the easiest lanes for me once I learned how to play against her.

If Riven is weaker than her lane opponent, which is a very real problem right now in this patch, the onus is on Riven to make something happen. Riven cannot just sit there and farm while being behind because Riven has a very limited window to make things happen.

That isn't true of multitudes of other popular top laners right now, which is why Riven's winrate tanked so hard.

It is really hard to zone entire teams from objectives as a melee champion which has to normally approach people in order to do any damage.
Last edited by Hyde; Dec 15, 2015 at 03:17 AM.
Hoss.
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
I can hardcarry with AP Rengar. That doesn't change rengar's role from assassin to carry. I can go full AD thresh and carry a game. Still not a carry.

Fed Riven is as scary as she's allowed to be. She went from being one of my most hated lane opponents to being one of the easiest lanes for me once I learned how to play against her.

If Riven is weaker than her lane opponent, which is a very real problem right now in this patch, the onus is on Riven to make something happen. Riven cannot just sit there and farm while being behind because Riven has a very limited window to make things happen.

That isn't true of multitudes of other popular top laners right now, which is why Riven's winrate tanked so hard.

It is really hard to zone entire teams from objectives as a melee champion which has to normally approach people in order to do any damage.

I can also hard-carry with AP Rengar, and yes Rengar is an assassin, and yes he is melee. But if I'm the main source of damage from my team, I am the carry, regardless of what I'm classified as (marksman/assassin/mage/tank, etc). Also it's quite possible to zone a team from an objective as a melee carry, not sure where you were going with that, but whatever.

Oh and we were just talking about melee carries in general, nobody said they had to be AD or AP. Fizz/Ekko/Kassadin are AP melee carries (depending on if they build full AP and not tanky/hybrid).
funny thing is that i suck with rengar cant even get one kill.

i think that riven is pretty balanced throughout the game because she has a lot of cc with her knockup and stun + dash.
piratez
Hi, I'm an DotA player who has recently decided to play LoL to see what all the fuss is about (they're just games, who gives a shit which is "better"?). I tended to play offlane, so I assume my go to place would be top lane. Any pointers that I should keep in mind for someone who is used to vastly different mechanics?
I think I might be retired.
Originally Posted by Grohenbird View Post
Hi, I'm an DotA player who has recently decided to play LoL to see what all the fuss is about (they're just games, who gives a shit which is "better"?). I tended to play offlane, so I assume my go to place would be top lane. Any pointers that I should keep in mind for someone who is used to vastly different mechanics?

Uh, I played a fair amount of offlane undying/centaur/brood

The game is too different to really give tips based on that but just a couple things you should know

If you do enough damage to your opponent to make him back, and are either very healthy or are sure the jungler is somewhere else on the map, you can deny your opponent by pushing the wave into the turret and letting the turret kill your minions

Lanes in league are also a bit more volatile in dota because of generally shorter cooldowns and lower cost abilities, so I suggest you learn lane matchups for a few champions you like and get good at them. Also, jungling in league is omnipresent once you're a higher level. League does not have a safe lane like dota does, both top and bottom are long lane.

Item spikes in league are similar to dota, but different in that in league you don't really have to worry about that 7-8 minute blink on axe.

Also, wards n shit
Invisible wards in league can be placed down through the warding trinket which is free at the start of the game. True sight wards cost 75g and are visible to the enemy team when they walk by them. There are also two other trinkets, the sweeping lens(red trinket) which reveals invisible stuff, like invisible wards, and the blue trinket, which is a super long range visible ward with 1 hp so you can peek at brushes/ward objectives/etc

Let me know if you need any help adjusting
Last edited by Hyde; Dec 15, 2015 at 05:35 AM.
Hoss.
There's about 4 different combos on Talon. He's probably one of the easiest assassins to play. He's also really strong even if you just button mash QWER Tiamat. Try it.

Sent from my C6740 using Tapatalk
"they're like enormous pillows of disgusting girly meat" ~Orih 2016
My Replays
Originally Posted by SparChar View Post
There's about 4 different combos on Talon. He's probably one of the easiest assassins to play. He's also really strong even if you just button mash QWER Tiamat. Try it.

Sent from my C6740 using Tapatalk

Logically it seems to be best as R to engage/chase/escape>e>w>q or e>q>w with aa wheI kan for the passive.

Also I take oppresser, good idea?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I feel like it would be easier to snowball with Oppressor since all you need is CC to activate it.

On the other hand, Bounty Hunter is always active so you don't even need to land any slows and you can deal twice as much damage if you kill the entire enemy team once.
"they're like enormous pillows of disgusting girly meat" ~Orih 2016
My Replays